"Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State

UNTflyer

(CBS News) CBS News has learned that the NCAA will announce what a high-ranking association source called "unprecedented" penalties against both the Penn State University football team and the school.

"I've never seen anything like it," the source told correspondent Armen Keteyian.

NCAA President Mark Emmert will make the announcement Monday morning at 9 a.m. at the organization's headquarters in Indianapolis.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57477382/ncaa-source-unprecedented-penalties-against-penn-state/?tag=stack

Source says "no death penalty" but "extremely harsh penalties" including loss of bowl eligibility and scholarships.

If this is true, I am scratching my head. If this doesn't warrant the death penalty, what does?

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What would "extremely harsh penalties" be?

- no bowl game participation for 10 or more years?

- cannot participate in conference championship games for xx years?

- scholarship levels cut to FCS levels (65)?

- football coaching staff cut in half for 10 years?

- Big 10 revenue participation cut by 50% or more for 10+ years?

What else?

Looks like other coaches are already sizing up Penn State's roster meaning like with SMU the current players will likely be given immediate transfer status which actually seems quite fair to me given the circumstances. If they get the death penalty or equivalent letting the current players transfer to the school of their choice without penalty helps mitigate the "innocent victim" argument that keeps coming up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/BFeldmanCBS/status/227047128143388674

So it could be like the death penalty with calling it the death penalty....allowing players to transfer out w/o penalty and remove or reduce scholarships and bowls for several years.

unprecedented sounds pretty harsh.

Considering the the death penalty has already set a precedent (SMU), this SHOULD be something more than the death penalty.

Unless someone doesn't understand the word "unprecedented."

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

-Not allowed to chant "We are...Penn State" at away games for ten years

-Joe Paterno's name removed from all water fountains

-No touchdown celebrations for the upcoming season

-No Gatorade in the locker rooms or on sidelines. Just water.

-Loss of five scholarships in women's soccer, golf and cross country.

The NCAA is gonna really gonna show their teeth on this one. This will be "unprecedented"!

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Considering the the death penalty has already set a precedent (SMU), this SHOULD be something more than the death penalty.

Unless someone doesn't understand the word "unprecedented."

I think they are trying to distance from the term "death penalty"...but if you remove a significant number of scholarships AND let everyone on the roster transfer without penalty AND allow other schools to interact with said transfer candidates over a period of time it has the same effect. If you remove bowl games and TV as well...it really will be as damaging as the death penalty without having to use the term.

I think they are trying to distance from the term "death penalty"...but if you remove a significant number of scholarships AND let everyone on the roster transfer without penalty AND allow other schools to interact with said transfer candidates over a period of time it has the same effect. If you remove bowl games and TV as well...it really will be as damaging as the death penalty without having to use the term.

But it sends a message that you can literally do beyond the worst thing imaginable and not totally lose football.

Is it just me, or does this seem to come really quickly after the Freeh report, not leaving a whole lot of time for an NCAA investigation.

It seems to me the only reason to make this decision this quickly would be if Penn St. is not going to be allowed to play football this year. The NCAA would have to make that decision very quickly with Summer camp coming up. Maybe just false hope.

On the brighter side, this should re-open recruitment for that Florida CB that we lost to Penn St.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

It seems to me the only reason to make this decision this quickly would be if Penn St. is not going to be allowed to play football this year. The NCAA would have to make that decision very quickly with Summer camp coming up. Maybe just false hope.

If you ban Penn State from playing football this year, how do you make up the lost TV, gate revenue, etc to the teams that have TV and home games already scheduled with PSU? Nebraska has a home game scheduled with PSU and would lose millions of dollars from the cancellation of this game.

• Upvote 2

If you ban Penn State from playing football this year, how do you make up the lost TV, gate revenue, etc to the teams that have TV and home games already scheduled with PSU? Nebraska has a home game scheduled with PSU and would lose millions of dollars from the cancellation of this game.

I think the answer it would be difficult but not impossible... make State put their Big 10 revenue in a fund to help schedule replacements. There are a lot of programs out there that could use 500-700K to help pay the bills and would be willing to take a road game to do it. Make it a neutral game in terms of BCS rankings... the Big 10 schools will have to pay a price for this and it's unfortunate but you can't have a tragedy of this magnitude without creating some collateral damage to innocent parties. When SMU got the death penalty it caused issues with other SWC schools and their schedules but they were able to work it out.

And...

Some things are more important than the almighty dollar. Nebraska wins by forfeit. I don't think this would happen (mainly because the players would have no where to go), just curious timing by the NCAA.

Also, it doesn't appear the NCAA has even bothered to check the money link between 2nd mile and Penn St. Maybe the NCAA just doesn't want to know. It SHOULD be a logical investigative step for the NCAA, but you damn sure can't do that investigation in a 3 week period. If the NCAA didn't look into a possible player payment link, well, they are just doing what the NCAA do, I guess.

I think the answer it would be difficult but not impossible... make State put their Big 10 revenue in a fund to help schedule replacements. There are a lot of programs out there that could use 500-700K to help pay the bills and would be willing to take a road game to do it. Make it a neutral game in terms of BCS rankings... the Big 10 schools will have to pay a price for this and it's unfortunate but you can't have a tragedy of this magnitude without creating some collateral damage to innocent parties. When SMU got the death penalty it caused issues with other SWC schools and their schedules but they were able to work it out.

When was the death penalty handed to SMU? We're something like 45 days away from the start of the season. Unless you allow FBS schools to schedule 13 regular season games this season, I don't see how you could really make it up to the Big 10 schools. That assumes there are enough programs while open dates to fill the Penn State holes.

And...

Some things are more important than the almighty dollar. Nebraska wins by forfeit. I don't think this would happen (mainly because the players would have no where to go), just curious timing by the NCAA.

I don't think Nebraska would be so eager to win by forfeit while taking a huge revenue hit. I guess that year they don't give any money back to the school since the athletic program could run at a loss that year? Nebraska is one of the few programs that actually makes money for the academic side of the university.

Your collateral damage keeps piling up. Now you're punishing schools that have nothing to do with Penn State other than athletic affiliation.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

When was the death penalty handed to SMU? We're something like 45 days away from the start of the season. Unless you allow FBS schools to schedule 13 regular season games this season, I don't see how you could really make it up to the Big 10 schools. That assumes there are enough programs while open dates to fill the Penn State holes.

I don't think Nebraska would be so eager to win by forfeit while taking a huge revenue hit. I guess that year they don't give any money back to the school since the athletic program could run at a loss that year? Nebraska is one of the few programs that actually makes money for the academic side of the university.

Your collateral damage keeps piling up. Now you're punishing schools that have nothing to do with Penn State other than athletic affiliation.

Well then, let's never punish any football program, because there is ALWAYS going to be "collateral damage" to any number of innocent groups when you take away a football program, or, for that matter, impose heavy sanctions. Let's just give up and let everyone cheat. Round and round we go.

Do we have any open scholarships to offer any potential Penn St. transfers? Never been more eager to pick over a dead corpse.

Edited by UNT90