New Baylor Stadium

SilverEagle

"University regents Thursday unanimously approved the plan, contingent on the Waco City Council approving $35 million in public funds."

http://sports.yahoo....494--ncaaf.html

Images

http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=709

Someone remind me. Did the City of Denton offer to help with Apogee stadium (before it was named Apogee stadium) in any way?

Edited by SilverEagle

Really, looking at the first link, I agree with those commenting that it seems like a lot to pay for a stadium of that capacity, and it looks like it would be difficult to expand, what with the porch roof.

It reminds me of what one of the HKS engineers said when my wife and I were taking him to a Euless Trinity season opener at the Cowboys Stadium; "now that North Texas Stadium is going to be nice...the kind of place where you can really enjoy watching a game".

Also, does anyone else get the feeling that Apogee would cost a lot more to build if we were just now releasing plans for bid?

• Upvote 1

However, Baylor is a huge economic engine in Waco and chances are that most of the members of the Waco City Council either have ties to Baylor or are alums.

Regardless, it's a very ambitious stadium design.

Let's play 'em home and home.

I agree but don't a lot of of the members of the Denton City Council have ties to or are alumns of NT but........

"University regents Thursday unanimously approved the plan, contingent on the Waco City Council approving $35 million in public funds."

http://sports.yahoo....494--ncaaf.html

Images

http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=709

Someone remind me. Did the City of Denton offer to help with Apogee stadium (before it was named Apogee stadium) in any way?

I don't know how many here have ever worked for a municipality (of course those in law enforcement, firefighting, parks and rec, among other fields have and still do). As a city staffer, I can assure you that there are many issues out there concerning municipal funding of such venues that could make seeking those partnerships less than attractive to those in university communities. I do think that the proposed joint venture between Denton and UNT for a convention center can work because of a shared need for such a facility.

However, Baylor is a huge economic engine in Waco and chances are that most of the members of the Waco City Council either have ties to Baylor or are alums.

Regardless, it's a very ambitious stadium design.

Let's play 'em home and home.

If there was no Baylor, or Dave Campbell's Texas football, would anyone ever hear of Waco?

• Upvote 2

Also, does anyone else get the feeling that Apogee would cost a lot more to build if we were just now releasing plans for bid?

I would be surprised if we could build it for under $100 million if we were at that stage today.

As far as Baylor's stadium . . . I get what y'all are saying about it being a little too NFL-ish. But they want to make a statement that they are big time, and this will help big time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anybody notice it seats only 45,000? Not exactly planning for success for a Big 12 school. Believe the smallest stadium was Ok State at 60k.

According to this, Tech and WVU are also 60k, Iowa State 55k, KU and K-State 50k, and TCU 44k.

But your point is good. At $250 million, you'd think they'd want the opportunity to get some of that back through ticket sales.

• Upvote 1

According to this, Tech and WVU are also 60k, Iowa State 55k, KU and K-State 50k, and TCU 44k.

But your point is good. At $250 million, you'd think they'd want the opportunity to get some of that back through ticket sales.

Don't worry, they'll just overcharge t se a team that will never approach last year's success. They'll go back to hoping you'll pay to see the opponent.

• Upvote 1

Looks like a great stadium to me. Not sure why everyone is trying to piss on it? Jealousy?

I just don't think it will age well and there are lots of garbage seats in the high corners since they're wanting that "picturesque" view of the Brazos. One thing is for sure, it's light years ahead of Floyd Casey. My wife's a BU alum, going to their current stadium is an awful experience.