Quantifying NMSU's conference uncertainty (UNT Mention)

Harry

As long as NMSU is a Division-I member on the gridiron, it will be eligible for a bowl game, a deciding factor still part of every player's dreams when deciding on their college destination.

Former Aggie running back Justine Buries said for him, playing in a conference where opposing teams were close to his hometown of Dallas was a key component in choosing the Aggies. NMSU was a part of the Sun Belt Conference when it signed Buries, meaning he would face off against North Texas University, located in nearby Denton.

"Besides that, coming out of high school, every player wants to say, 'D-I,"' Buries said. "I think that's the biggest precedent, is if it's D-I. After that, it's who do you play?"

If NMSU does have to go independent for the 2013 season, scheduling will be of critical importance.

Read more: http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sports/ci_21044410/quantifying-nmsus-conference-uncertainty-and-its-impact-recruiting?refresh=no

Let's be honest NMSU doesn't need to stay in D1/FBS.

They have failed to invest in their program, they made the wrong choice leaving the SBC for the WAC, they went 0-12, and they have the longest bowl drought in the NCAA.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I hope NMSU lands on their feet, but I don't see how.

They have been one of our few rivals (one of my best NT football memories is listening on the radio when Jordan Case extended the ball over the goalline to beat them).

They want to be in a conference with UTEP just like we do with $MU, and get treated just about the same.

I hope for them, but they have few options.

• Upvote 2

What a difference ten years makes!! I can still remember the "miracle in the desert" and the prize fight atmosphere when they came to Denton in '02 with the conference title on the line.

They had some wicked QBs running that 1990s Nebraska-ish offense. I also remember an Aggie wideout that was like 5'6? and a FB that was killing us!

• Upvote 1

I think they are dead in the water.Idaho will probably drop back to the Big Sky, which is where they belong. NMSU's only hope was the Sun Belt, which has expressed little interest.They might hang around a few years to see if Big East takes ECU, and CUSA replaces them with a Sun Belt school creating a need for another school in the Belt. The sad truth is that they are isolated, not in the Belt's footprint, and bring little to the table.Neither New Mexico, despite what they say,nor UTEP want them in the same conference as them. Its a shame because unlike Idaho they have decent athletic facalities.

Not after they call us North Texas University

--- That doesn't bother me.... at least the author left out the word "State" which does and disappeared over 20 years ago. I hope they recover and don't have happen to them what happened to West Texas State [ aka West Texas A&M now ]. The three of us had been members of the old MVC when it died in football. They have made a lot of bad and unlucky decisions. They joined the WAC to be with UTEP then UTEP lmmediately left for CUSA. They are now between a rock and hard place...... no good answer. CUSA, the Belt, and Mountain West look like only real good options and none seem to want them. They were on the extreme west of the very wide SunBelt and moving west made some sense for them (not us) ... it just bit them in the rear.

--- Belt may take them back since the commish is from the WAC. I wish them good luck.

-------------

nearby??? ... Denton is near NMSU .... I know 650 miles is not a lot by western standards but nearby is sorta a stretch.

I can't give you a source, but that's the general gist I've always received from UTEP fan/A.D./administration comments. I guess you disagree?

I turn my nose up at them like any rival would, but I'd be stupid to ignore how much the teams love to hate each other. The UTEP-NMSU-UNM trio is the sweetest football and basketball love triangle in the southwest. Some of the skankiest best games I've seen. It only makes sense (Maybe just to me?) that they are so close to each other and a perfect fit, geographically and culturally, to share conference badges.

Edited by greenminer
  • Downvote 1

Let's be honest NMSU doesn't need to stay in D1/FBS.

They have failed to invest in their program, they made the wrong choice leaving the SBC for the WAC, they went 0-12, and they have the longest bowl drought in the NCAA.

yea VS unT that is clockin' big dollas, dominating the sunbelt, going to and winning all those bowl games, drawing massive crowds and generally showing the college sports world how to get it done!.....and especially taking advantage of all the "potential"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

yea VS unT that is clockin' big dollas, dominating the sunbelt, going to and winning all those bowl games, drawing massive crowds and generally showing the college sports world how to get it done!.....and especially taking advantage of all the "potential"

Whatever it is you think you're doing, you're doing it wrong.

iqI82.gif

• Upvote 7