Athlon 2012 Sun Belt Predictions

Harry

There’s a drop off after the top three teams in the projected standings, but Louisiana-Monroe, Western Kentucky, North Texas and Troy are all capable of pushing for a fourth-place finish and a winning record. The Warhawks are led by junior quarterback Kolton Browning, who should be healthy after dealing with a sternum injury most of the 2011 season. The Hilltoppers are on the rise, but must replace star running back Bobby Rainey. The Mean Green is in a similar position to Western Kentucky, as they have to replace running back Lance Dunbar, but should have an improved passing attack in 2012. Troy was the conference’s biggest disappointment last year and need a big year from quarterback Corey Robinson to get back in the mix for the conference title.

Read more: http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/sun-belt-football-2012-predictions

This says a lot:

“Thirty scholarship players were out the door last year, so we have depth issues, and we’re still 11 under the 85 scholarship limit,” McCarney says. “But that’s why I’m here, to fix a lot of the problems at North Texas. But we believe in our plan.”

I think this season it's very possible we see a worse win/loss total than that of last year. But I don't think that means we aren't making progress. Just always assumed it would be year three under McCarney that we'd see the most improvement. We were in a bad, bad place. But we've got plenty to be excited about and recruiting should only improve.

Either way, I'll be traveling to Baton Rouge and Houston, and Denton as many times as the pocket book will allow!

• Upvote 4

The road schedule featuring three teams with combined 36-5 records in 2011 starts us behind the eight ball. I foresee either a 5-7 or 6-6 record in 2012 with finishing in the middle of the Sun Belt pack. A little easier 2013 non conference schedule of Army and Ball State at home with Georgia and Ohio on the road should be a good start for us going into CUSA which I also feel will be DMac's break out season.

On a side note....it is irritating once again to see below the Sunbelt article the "Ranking All 124 Stadiums" article.....I have been to ULM, FIU, Ball State, WKU, Ark St, Rice, Troy, Southern Miss, SMU, Northwestern and UTSA's stadiums.....Apogee is far superior than all those venues ranked higher than our great palace.

• Upvote 1

Whether Dan wants a feature back or not I believe that he's stuck with running by committee. He has two speed backs and two power backs and I don't see one dominating. BTW Jeremy Brown does have varsity carries.

I believe that you will see a lot more balance in the offense. Passing looks to be improved over last year thanks to a strong offensive line. Barring injury, I believe that we see better offensive numbers in spite of the loss of Dunbar.

As much as I liked Clint Bowen, I believe Skladany to be a true craftsman when it comes to defenses. He'll be weaker at one defensive end and three defensive backs (until Warner can return) but he'll cover it well. He may have to rely on some true freshmen, especially for depth.

In spite of two gimmes the record will be about the same...five or six wins.

As much as I liked Clint Bowen, I believe Skladany to be a true craftsman when it comes to defenses. He'll be weaker at one defensive end and three defensive backs (until Warner can return) but he'll cover it well.

I hope they redshirt Warner. No need in trying to rush a kid back from an ACL.

On paper, NT would be hard pressed to match last years record. However, many pundits predicted that ULL would be dead last in 2011. It is time for superior coaching to kick in, and NT finish the Belt on a high note.

I don't think the lost of Dunbar will hamper the team as much as many. He was seldom completely healthy last year and although NT may not have a star; they have a handful of capable backs and the OL should be significantly better.

This says a lot:

I think this season it's very possible we see a worse win/loss total than that of last year. But I don't think that means we aren't making progress. Just always assumed it would be year three under McCarney that we'd see the most improvement. We were in a bad, bad place. But we've got plenty to be excited about and recruiting should only improve.

Either way, I'll be traveling to Baton Rouge and Houston, and Denton as many times as the pocket book will allow!

Hate to do so but I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with you 100% percent, Eagle1855. McCarney's former boss and role model Fry had a very poor 2'nd year at UNT with only 2 wins. His 3'rd year was one for the record books and got him talking up SWC membership for North Texas

The Belt' has had plenty of one hit wonders who were near or at the bottom going to near or to the top from one season to the next and I hope that is what we do in our final season in the SBC and go out as a winner. NOTE: As GrandGreen posted, UL was predicted to be last in most of the magazines last Summer and all they did was win the SBC with a trip to the NO's Bowl which they most impressively won.

Recruiting in Year 2 with Apogee Stadium as our football palace needs to be close to or as good as we've had in Mean Green Country if that is at all possible. Our future QB after the 2013 inaugural year in CUSA is most likely a Texas HS senior this Fall, but our recruiters need to make sure this new QB recruit-to-be will have some Rivals pedigree about him plus it will be great for him to have our present QB DerekThompson for him to under-study for the 2013 season, too. (We can still hold out all hope that we can get a quality NCAA FBS QB transfer this next year who would be ready when D.T. graduates after 2013.... or in other words.......we are nowhere near the panic stage for a QB to follow Thompson's footsteps and who knows that QB may even already be on campus).

Hopefully, we get out of the SBC starting blocks very quickly this Fall and maybe even have enough "W's" to contend for a bowl game, but if the season goes south rather quickly for whatever the reason it wouldn't hurt if our staff tried to red-shirt those who would still be elgible for our immediate future in CUSA which getting a good start in that league most of us would agree is essential....but again.......only if we have a dismal SBC W/L record after a few conference games this season should they consider doing that.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen