UTSA brings College Football To San Antonio

MeanGreen61

SA is big but not bigger than Houston or DFW metropolitan areas. It's a good market.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6186268_5-largest-cities-texas.html

There are more people in the DFW metro area, but not in the City of Dallas or the City of Ft. Worth.

http://www.ehow.com/...ties-texas.html

There are more people in the DFW metro area, but not in the City of Dallas or the City of Ft. Worth.

1. Houston 2,099,451

2. San Antonio 1,327,407

3. Dallas 1,197,816

Population of Texas cities

http://www.txdirecto.../city/?top=true

Edited by MeanGreen61

Read somewhere that because Dallas can no longer annex land and population (and Fort Worth still can) that Cowtown will also be larger than Big D in due time.

Jerry Jones tried to help Big D by returning his team within their city limits with a nice new stadium and other nice investments in the Fair Park area, but former Mayor Laura Miller would have no part of that.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

San Antonio is the only city of any size in Bexar County. There are two cities of 200,000 plus in Dallas County and four more that have over 100,000. San Antonio is larger than Dallas but Dallas County has about a million more people than Bexar. In fact, Tarrant County is larger than Bexar so San Antonio and vicinity is smaller than either Dallas or Fort Worth.

It's still both a large city and county and a great destination city and no one has moved or removed the Alamo so neither Dallas nor Fort Worth has the historical significance of San Antonio.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

It is crazy to think that Fort Worth will soon overtake Dallas in terms of population. Fort Worth is booming with so many headquarters and businesses moving there. I really think the same growth that happened north of Dallas is going to and now happening to Fort Worth. The only thing is that Fort Worth's city limits extends all the way to TMS (or close). I'm guessing in the next 20 years, the drive from Denton to Fort Worth will look like the drive to Dallas and not consist of open land and fracking sites.

D/FW (which, let's face it, is referred to as "Dallas" by the rest of the world) has 6 1/2 million people, making it the 4th largest metropolitan area in the US. The New York, LA, and Chicago areas are the only ones bigger.

In the era of suburban sprawl, it's meaningless to discuss individually cities, annexing, or whatnot in the grand scheme of things.

• Upvote 1

Jerry Jones tried to help Big D by returning his team within their city limits with a nice new stadium and other nice investments in the Fair Park area, but former Mayor Laura Miller would have no part of that.

That's not true. Jerry wanted a downtown stadium across 35 in-between the AAC and West End. Fair Park was the second choice site. The city wanted the stadium at Fair Park, the County wanted Los Colinas. Miller couldn't/wouldn't deal with Jerry and Arlington overpaid.

And none of this as anything to do with UTSA.

• Upvote 1

It's still both a large city and county and a great destination city and no one has moved or removed the Alamo so neither Dallas nor Fort Worth has the historical significance of San Antonio.

I see your 200 or so dead Texas patriots and raise you one dead American President.

Just sayin...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

UTSA is in such a unique situation. I can't think of another school in such a big city with only one college team and no NFL team. I can see why they have the city behind them. If you live in San Antonio and want football, they are it. However, I have a hunch if they continue to draw well the NFL might put a team there. If that happened it would really steal their thunder.

UTSA is in such a unique situation. I can't think of another school in such a big city with only one college team and no NFL team. I can see why they have the city behind them. If you live in San Antonio and want football, they are it. However, I have a hunch if they continue to draw well the NFL might put a team there. If that happened it would really steal their thunder.

The NFL will place a team in LA before San Antonio.

• Upvote 1

Read somewhere that because Dallas can no longer annex land and population (and Fort Worth still can) that Cowtown will also be larger than Big D in due time.

GMG!

Well, PLUMM, a nice new stadium with a lot of taxpayer buy-in and taxpayer obligations. Like it or not that Texas Stadium is in Arlington, there public/private sports arena deals are often great deals...for the teams and the team owners. While I support professional sports teams and think they do "add" to a city's tax base over time (in many different ways), I am not a fan of using public money in support of rich guys building new arenas and stadiums when they could easily afford it on their own...along with their team.

By the way...just a question...why doesn't the NFL develop a fund that would support new stadium construction? That would seem beneficial to the league as a whole...BUT, I guess why do it when you can get the local taxpayer to cough up the funds and have the taxpayer on the hook financially, right? And, before one posts...no, I am not a big fan of tax incentives to private industry and businesses as a whole...matter of principle...using taxpayer funds for the benefit of private business seem odd to em, and I cannot find many studies that actually reflect that it turns out, in the long run to be THAT good of a deal for the taxpayer...contrary to what the Chamber of Commerce of the City leaders who support the incentives might tell you. My Libertarian leanings just have a problem with the whole concept.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Having municipalities pay for pro sports facilitates is one of the biggest scams ever. What has the average Arlington resident got out of having two major sports franchises? On another note, what has Dallas lost by not having the Cowboys. I guess there is a little prestige that goes with having a pro franchise, but they seldom spur the economic growth they are touted to. Look at the area where Texas stadium was in Irving, they really benefited from the Cowboys. Victory Park has been mostly a failure.

Subsidizing extremely wealthy people and particularly in these times seems far from a function of government.

• Upvote 2

Having municipalities pay for pro sports facilitates is one of the biggest scams ever. What has the average Arlington resident got out of having two major sports franchises? On another note, what has Dallas lost by not having the Cowboys. I guess there is a little prestige that goes with having a pro franchise, but they seldom spur the economic growth they are touted to. Look at the area where Texas stadium was in Irving, they really benefited from the Cowboys. Victory Park has been mostly a failure.

Subsidizing extremely wealthy people and particularly in these times seems far from a function of government.

Actually Dallas came out smelling like a rose. They get tremendous hotel and restaurant business because of the Cowboys being in Arlington and it doesn't cost them a dime.

Actually Dallas came out smelling like a rose. They get tremendous hotel and restaurant business because of the Cowboys being in Arlington and it doesn't cost them a dime.

Yep. Amazed that Arlington hasn't added a first class hotel complex near Cowboy stadium.

On second thought, I really am not that surprised.

A new downtown stadium would have cleaned up Fair Park, renjuvinated Deep Ellum and the West End, and brought jobs to the city. But, Jerry wouldn't get as much money from parking since people would take DART to the stadjim.

A new downtown stadium would have cleaned up Fair Park, renjuvinated Deep Ellum and the West End, and brought jobs to the city. But, Jerry wouldn't get as much money from parking since people would take DART to the stadium.

How in the world would a downtown stadium have anything to do with cleaning up Fair Park. A new stadium might have an effect on either the West End or Deep ellum but not both. I am not sure how you can make that claim with the lack of success of development around the AA basketball arena. Jerry went to Arlington because they were stupid enough to invest a lot of money for him to do so, I doubt parking was a big factor.

I am amazed that so many sports fans try to make an economic argument for spending other people's money on pro sports venues. They seldom deliver what they promise and even when they do actually have a positive financial impact, it never is really returned to the tax payer.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1