Mean Green Football Camp at Chapel Hill

I just got home from the East Texas UNT football camp at Chapel Hill.

There was one QB that stood out above the rest - about 6'1" - 6'3" or so; hard to tell from the stands. Not stocky but had meat on his bones and a helluva arm.

His passes were accurate; could go deep with ease; and the ball has some mustard on it, especially on the out patterns - he was clearly the best out there, and Canales was very interested in him. He hung on to him after the camp was over and spent quite a bit of time talking to him; and then making sure that McCarney met him and offered encouraging words. I think this guy "went on their list" along with the many other QBs they have pegged on their list from around the state.

As for the rest of the crowd of players (50 - 52 in my last count) the coaches were interested in the

Tyler Lee kicker/punter - plays on the soccer team (according to t-shirt) and punts and kicks. He was kicking field goals from 55 yards out with plenty of room to spare - high elevation by what would have been the line of scrimmage (hard to block, and God knows UNT has had its share of problems with blocked punts over the past 5 – 6 years); his punts were high with good hang time (4 - 5 seconds my guess) - averaged punts of about 45 yards.

There were a few receivers and DB's with OUTSTANDING speed – in fact blow-away speed and quickness. A couple of the DB’s had great coverage in seven-on-seven, and three or four receivers combined speed/quickness with very good ball-catching ability.

Given what little I profess to know, I would have on the spot offered 3 - 4 of the guys attending the camp - don't know, of course, what McCarney will do.

McCarney is a master in so many areas. He was greeting not only the high school coaches in attendance, he was also greeting and hugging the “water crew” while remembering their efforts from last year; he also remembered the CH trainer from last year’s camp at CH and spent time visiting with her.

After play was over McCarney gathered the participants around him and emphasized the players being coachable for their high school coaches; he emphasized character; he told them that he had enough problems without having problem players……so he would not recruit such players, and that few other university coaches would either.

He spelled out in precise terms what he expects from his players – representing their families, high schools, and UNT well in everything they do. He told them that missing class was not an option and he mentioned the high GPAs that some of the current players have earned.

One other difference from last year – temp was in the 80s instead of the 100+ of last year.

GMG

• Upvote 7

Really appreciate the update and report. Glad to see there was a decent turnout and that there were definitely a few good prospects...in spite of what you posted...you DO definitely know a good player when you see one. FACT! You hit the nail on the head with Coach Mac. He is very good at remembering the little things that will help in years to come with building relationships with HS coaches and in establishing pipelines for UNT.

The patient among us understand that this stuff does take a bit of time....however, I am looking for 6-6 or 7-5 this year...and better next when UNT hits CUSA! Can it happen with Coach mac and Co.? ABSOLUTELY! Let's get it on!

Thanks for the report, but most of all...thnaks for taking the time to head over to CH for the camp. Much appreciated.

One more thing I remembered from yesterday:

I watched Justin Gaines (I am almost sure it was him although I have not met him) work with the DBs yesterday at the football camp.

The guy is impressive - he was very intense in teaching technique to the high school DBs - and he was doing a great job of pointing out strengths and weaknesses during 7-on-7.

When a good DB play was made he was vocal; high-fiving; and doing the "in the air body-bump" (or whatever the newest celebration fad is called) with the players. They appeared to be loving the enthusiasm of the guy.

We may have us a good'un with this guy.

GMG

Coach Chico tweeted that there was 270+ in Round Rock/Austin Today.

That's the biggest turnout I believe.

There is alot of talent untouched in that area.

RR stony point, Georgetown, Westwood, Westlake, Lake Travis, Leander, Cedar Park, Pflugerville, Liberty Hill, Wimberly.

And don't forget Marble Falls.

• Upvote 1

And don't forget Marble Falls.

I wonder who the assistant coach in charge of recruiting that region might be? We've got a couple of former Mean Green folks down there, one a HC at Marble Falls and one an Asst Coach at Westlake, that could pull strings for us... if the goodwill is present. Gotta think coach Chico might be a good choice there.

With 270 at Round Rock....just under 300 at UNT.....160 in Houston..... and so on.... we had to have had close to 1k go through our football camps this year. That doesn't even include the later camps in the summer. This was nothing shy of a huge success for our coaching staff to have this many kids in attendance and hearing Mac speak.