DRC: Berglund to JC

Brett Vito

Might not be his choice.. grades or transfer credit might be an issue.. The other question iis he enrolling in the summer or fall? Might be a last ditch effort to make transfer requirements while allowing him the chance to play JC if he can't..

I would be leery of saying that this is a done deal or he made a fool of himself.

Summer school has begun. Before embarking on his dog and pony show he should have known what his prospects of transferring/qualifying were, instead of wasting the time and effort of a number of universities. Maybe he's hoping to improve his stock to attract the interest of a AQ school, but either way, I'd be done with him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Full background, reasoning on Berglund's decision:

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/06/the-story-on-berglund.html/

I've come to the conclusion we are just unlucky when it comes to recruiting, developing and maintaining QB's. For us to move up a notch as a program this has to change. I can't fault Berglund for his decision. Best of luck to him.

Well, interesting. And, the kid and his family, seem to me, to be making a quality decision. UNT, if it keeps up with him during this next year, may well have a shot after he gets his 2-yr degree from Scottsdale. His reported grades while at Kansas seem plenty good enough. Now, the question is...what happened to the compliance folks at Kansas to let this sort of thing happen? Don't they monitor hours and course loads? Hmmm...maybe he left the program (however or whatever) and that let his academics up to him...I have no clue about that. But, as Vito pointed out...seems like a good kid. UNT would perhaps be a nice spot for him after JuCo.

It may be that the folks at UNT knew this all along and were just hoping he's sit out a year and sign with UNT and get the class thing in order. Who knows.

BUT, make no mistake about it. UNT is going into the season with a fine QB in young Mr. Thompson. I have no worries (other than injuries) regarding the QB spot.

Yep, Coach Mac and company can now look elsewhere to sign a QB for UNT. Appreciate the "rest of the story" from Brett.

• Upvote 2

Good luck to this kid.....

Time for us to move on. If we are going after this guy again when he finishes with his 2 year degree, I'll be disappointed in our recruiting efforts. I'd hope we will have a quality QB already here or on his way. I don't want to still be in need of a future QB down the road.

I don't think we have a shot at this kid. He didn't pick a JC in Texas, he picked a JD in Arizona. I seem to orecall he took a recruiting trip to Arizona St or Arizona after visiting UNT and FIU. I would be shocked if he didn't end up on that roster after his JC season.

To try and recruit the kid again, after he is done with JC, would make us look bad. We shouldn't be in need of him by then. We need to move on and find another QB. A better QB. I'm sure that is what Mac and the staff are out there doing. Looking for someone else that fits what we are doing here.