Comparing the Mean Green to Other Program

KRAM1

You know, I like comparing the Mean green's program with other school's programs...especially those in the Sun Belt and our new affiliation CUSA. I think we and the folks in the athletic department can find good ideas to copy. And, you know what? They have. Look at the Mean green Club priority point system, the Mean green Club Volunteer Rep program, the Coaches Caravans, membership benefit levels and on and on. Many were ideas that originated at other programs brought to us by staff members, alumni and fans. So, comparing UNT and how UNT does things to other programs is an excellent ex cerise. One, I can tell you that the Athletic Dept. does on a very regular basis. One of our senior staffers was just this last weekend away at a conference sharing ideas with other schools and learning about new and innovative programs that might benefit UNT.

But, when one compares, one must compare more than just the cool stuff. Let's take Southern Miss for an example...the Southern Miss Golden Eagle Club (our Mean Green Club) requires a $1500.00 minimum Golden Eagle Club donation to our $500 in order to purchase lower bowl 50-yard line section seats. In addition, So. Miss charges an EXTRA $300 per seat according to the number of seats you purchase...So, you buy four 50 yard line seats your cost per year is $ 2700.00 PLUS the price of the tickets! Did I read that correctly on the So Miss site? At UNT that cost is $500 plus the price of the tickets. The other sections are priced at So Miss are priced accordingly. So, one must realize how much more money So Miss has to do things with than UNT does at the moment. So, comparisons are great, but let's compare available funds and the willingness of fans and donors to step up and pay the price as well.

To get ones name in the football program at So Miss, one must donate a minimum of $500 to the Golden Eagle Club. Think about that Mean green Fans!

This is a level of support I would hope UNT and UNT fans everywhere are striving to obtain. And, yes, UNT is behind in that level of support by a good margin, but progress is being made. Right now several Volunteer Reps are working hard and sometimes swimming against the currents to try to raise the number and overall donation level for UNT's Mean Green Club. As one such volunteer, I can tell you that you hear lots of things regarding the program and the ideas folks have about the Mean green Club and the Mean Green in general.

So, let's all do compare UNT to other schools and let's compare UNT to the best of the best as that is where most of the great Mean Green Nation wants to be...and in many areas already is at that level. BUT, let's never forget that it takes many many more dollars that UNT currently has at its disposal to get that done. And, when we compare, let's all realize what a fantastic BARGAIN the Mean Green Club and the benefits we all receive are as the price will definitely have to go up in order to get where we want to go. One simply cannot make suggestions and wish it so and then leave it to someone else to do the heavy lifting. It's that time where Mean Green Nation members everywhere might need to look in the mirror and get out those work gloves and start helping with the heavy lifting that needs to be done. Does this mean only sending in more money? Nope, it can mean volunteering one's time and expertise as well. Live outside Denton? Like to play golf? How about organizing a Mean Green Club golf tournament? It's hard work...I've done it, but it can sure help raise a lot of money. How about helping to organize a local Alumni Chapter? Yep, hard work and lots of frustration, but when it gets going it is well worth the effort. Complaining that someone else SHOULD be doing something, that in fact you could help do, is not doing much to make those comparisons with folks like Southern Miss seem much closer.

So, I know, lots of folks will complain bout this post and perhaps disagree quite loudly...that's well OK as they are more than welcome to their opinions, but, at the end of the day, we all know what must be done and we all know if we are part of the "doing it crowd" or the "they should be doing it" crowd.

The great Mean Green Nation really can do this...they have shown their willingness time and time again...we just need more of those folks and we need some we have to help make something more happen.

Bring on those comparisons...they really do help put things in perspective...let's do have a complete perspective howerer......

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Seems like your putting the chart before the horse. When UNT starts winning consistently like Southern Miss does, they can start charging higher prices.

The product has to be worth the higher price.

I was in no way advocating for higher pricing....cannot see how you got that from what I wrote. The point was that we should look at everything when we compare UNT to other programs...including the availability of resources and the willingness of fan and alums to financially support the program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I totally agree with your premise Kram, I truly do. But let's also examine just how "special" one feels when they pony up (no pun intended) the amount that NT does ask of them. When I pay my $500 donation plus the price of tickets to sit on the 50 yard line I expect that this is gives me some exclusive perk. When I see fans from Houston, Indiana, etc. sitting ON MY ROW when all they did was walk up to the ticket counter on game day...well, where's my perk? I know that I, and quite a few that I've talked to, would rather see those seats empty and the opposing fans sitting in the wingzone or on the 15 yard line. Otherwise, what exactly is it I'm supposed to be selling new MGC members on?

• Upvote 5

I totally agree with your premise Kram, I truly do. But let's also examine just how "special" one feels when they pony up (no pun intended) the amount that NT does ask of them. When I pay my $500 donation plus the price of tickets to sit on the 50 yard line I expect that this is gives me some exclusive perk. When I see fans from Houston, Indiana, etc. sitting ON MY ROW when all they did was walk up to the ticket counter on game day...well, where's my perk? I know that I, and quite a few that I've talked to, would rather see those seats empty and the opposing fans sitting in the wingzone or on the 15 yard line. Otherwise, what exactly is it I'm supposed to be selling new MGC members on?

I would not disagree with you at all, but are you sure they didn't get those tickets from a UNT season ticket holder who didn't show up and sold his/her tickets? I know this has happened in the past. I guess UNT could just not sell those higher priced tickets on game days or to non-season ticket holders. Is that what you want? You do get additional "perks" such as parking, a Mean green Club gift, football program recognition, invitations to Mean green Club events, Mean green Club hospitality room access, etc. So, the walk-up guy or gal is not getting the same perks as you are through your season ticket purchase and Mean Green Club donations. I do, however, very much understand your feelings as I feel somewhat the same way when i see folks in the Club area who bought Club tickets the day of the game or just before the game. I guess for me, I am of the opinion that it is better to sell the remaining higher priced tickets and get the additional attendees. But, that's just me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3