Texas AD Fine With Big 12 Not Expanding

Why would the Big 12 expand? They have huge media deal. If they expand, it unlikely they could appreciatively improve upon team revenues or number conference games televised. In fact individual team may end up with fewer games televised. The ten game round robin actually helps weaker teams like Kansas who get to play all of conference powerhouses and sell tickets and keep interest in the program. Every time that the Big 12 as added a team it was in direct response to teams leaving, not to grow just for growth sake. Nebraska and Colorado leave...stay steady at 10. A&M and Missouri leave... it was only as after losing 4 teams did they add.

Why would the Big 12 expand? They have huge media deal. If they expand, it unlikely they could appreciatively improve upon team revenues or number conference games televised. In fact individual team may end up with fewer games televised.

If you can add FSU and Clemson, you add FSU and Clemson. It would absolutely increase the media deal. And that's all this whole thing is about.

Someday we may look back on the years that we let TV ruin college football. Until then, it's a cash grabbing free-for-all.

• Upvote 2

Why would the Big 12 expand? They have huge media deal. If they expand, it unlikely they could appreciatively improve upon team revenues or number conference games televised. In fact individual team may end up with fewer games televised. The ten game round robin actually helps weaker teams like Kansas who get to play all of conference powerhouses and sell tickets and keep interest in the program. Every time that the Big 12 as added a team it was in direct response to teams leaving, not to grow just for growth sake. Nebraska and Colorado leave...stay steady at 10. A&M and Missouri leave... it was only as after losing 4 teams did they add.

And if the Big 12 ever did expand and took 2 from the ACC, then why would the ACC expand as well?

Our NCAA presidents and AD's have got to get control of their senses and remember what the true spirit of NCAA competition was actually mean't to be when established about the tiime Teddy Roosevelt was U.S President.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

As many have stated, this is the final salvo to the Big 4 conferences essentially becoming the new FBS and the rest of us all being relegated to the minors. And, as I will get to in a bit, I'm not sure that is such a bad thing, either. But, as far as this speculation goes, I think the SEC basically decided that it was going to give back to the Big XII for taking two strong members and at the same time, weaken the ACC so much, that the teams that they do compete with currently in the same markets (Clemson, FSU, Ga Tech, and Miami) will bolt to the the next best league, which is stil much weaker than the SEC. Then, with it all done, the SEC gets to add the programs it really wants from the ACC--basically UNC, NC State, Va Tech, and Maryland. It gives them new TV markets to expand, too, all with programs that are solid in the two main revenue sports.

I never imagined that the Big XII would make it, but it appears that the SEC has basically made it clear that the Big XII will be the conference that stays, not the ACC. I think we will see 4 conferences of 18 teams, those conferences will have two divisions that play every team in it (8 games), plus two games in the other division, and then play 2 non-conference games. Basically, with the new setup, losing in pre-conference won't hurt like it does today, since a playoff will be in place for the Super 4, so I don't see any scheduling outside of the Super 4 (72 teams) anymore, unless its against a military academy.

Obviously, this will become the new system, and it will lock out the rest of us. But, if the NCAA lets this happen, in part, so that it can save the NCAA Tournaments and the College World Series, where it draws most of its funding and interest from, I think it may not be as bad as it sounds to guys like us. For better or worse, there is no way that we could ever compete year-in and year-out with the NFL-lite programs and their combination of funding, fan support and interest across the country, and tradition. And, btw, neither can the SMUs, Houstons, La Techs, UTEPS, or Tulsas of the college world, keep up with it all, either. And, some programs that will initially be in the Super 4, such as Baylor, TCU, Tech, Iowa State, Vandy, Mississippi State, Washington State, etc..won't be able to compete with the top end, either, and they won't have weaker competition to schedule outside of their conference to mask that reality anymore (see Texas Tech's OOC for the last 10 years). So, in the meantime, those not chosen to be included will still have the ability to show that they can have a program that could replace one of the weaker sisters of the Super 4. Its not hard to conceive a situation where Boise State replaces Wazzou, South Florida replaces Vandy, or Houston replaced TCU if those included teams fall backwards in a big way (think Baylor for all but the RG III years in the Big XII).

Even if we play in a level that is not Supreme BS 4 or whatever they will be, as long as we are in a regional conference with other schools that Texans know and care about, we will be ok. I believe that UNT fans will still go watch a game against Tulsa, UTEP, New Mexico, La Tech, SMU, Rice, Tulane, etc..,even if we are not considered as "major" level, because we never have been included in a major setup. Getting to play those schools I just mentioned is a GIANT step up from what we have asked our fans to tolerate for the last 30 years. Our level of being non-AQ is basically ignored by the big media anyway, so if we have our own unique setup for conference play and playoffs, it might be enough to create interest beyond anything we currently have with non-AQs playing each other in some non-chalant bowl game in December or early January that doesn't draw much interest beyond the schools playing. Our future is still brighter than it has been since the late 70s because our school finally decided to fund a decent Athletic Department. Nothing that a Super 4 setup will create changes what we need to do and can still do over the course of the next 20 years.

Edited by untjim1995

As many have stated, this is the final salvo to the Big 4 conferences essentially becoming the new FBS and the rest of us all being relegated to the minors. And, as I will get to in a bit, I'm not sure that is such a bad thing, either. But, as far as this speculation goes, I think the SEC basically decided that it was going to give back to the Big XII for taking two strong members and at the same time, weaken the ACC so much, that the teams that they do compete with currently in the same markets (Clemson, FSU, Ga Tech, and Miami) will bolt to the the next best league, which is stil much weaker than the SEC. Then, with it all done, the SEC gets to add the programs it really wants from the ACC--basically UNC, NC State, Va Tech, and Maryland. It gives them new TV markets to expand, too, all with programs that are solid in the two main revenue sports.

I never imagined that the Big XII would make it, but it appears that the SEC has basically made it clear that the Big XII will be the conference that stays, not the ACC. I think we will see 4 conferences of 18 teams, those conferences will have two divisions that play every team in it (8 games), plus two games in the other division, and then play 2 non-conference games. Basically, with the new setup, losing in pre-conference won't hurt like it does today, since a playoff will be in place for the Super 4, so I don't see any scheduling outside of the Super 4 (72 teams) anymore, unless its against a military academy.

Obviously, this will become the new system, and it will lock out the rest of us. But, if the NCAA lets this happen, in part, so that it can save the NCAA Tournaments and the College World Series, where it draws most of its funding and interest from, I think it may not be as bad as it sounds to guys like us. For better or worse, there is no way that we could ever compete year-in and year-out with the NFL-lite programs and their combination of funding, fan support and interest across the country, and tradition. And, btw, neither can the SMUs, Houstons, La Techs, UTEPS, or Tulsas of the college world, keep up with it all, either. And, some programs that will initially be in the Super 4, such as Baylor, TCU, Tech, Iowa State, Vandy, Mississippi State, Washington State, etc..won't be able to compete with the top end, either, and they won't have weaker competition to schedule outside of their conference to mask that reality anymore (see Texas Tech's OOC for the last 10 years). So, in the meantime, those not chosen to be included will still have the ability to show that they can have a program that could replace one of the weaker sisters of the Super 4. Its not hard to conceive a situation where Boise State replaces Wazzou, South Florida replaces Vandy, or Houston replaced TCU if those included teams fall backwards in a big way (think Baylor for all but the RG III years in the Big XII).

Even if we play in a level that is not Supreme BS 4 or whatever they will be, as long as we are in a regional conference with other schools that Texans know and care about, we will be ok. I believe that UNT fans will still go watch a game against Tulsa, UTEP, New Mexico, La Tech, SMU, Rice, Tulane, etc..,even if we are not considered as "major" level, because we never have been included in a major setup. Getting to play those schools I just mentioned is a GIANT step up from what we have asked our fans to tolerate for the last 30 years. Our level of being non-AQ is basically ignored by the big media anyway, so if we have our own unique setup for conference play and playoffs, it might be enough to create interest beyond anything we currently have with non-AQs playing each other in some non-chalant bowl game in December or early January that doesn't draw much interest beyond the schools playing. Our future is still brighter than it has been since the late 70s because our school finally decided to fund a decent Athletic Department. Nothing that a Super 4 setup will create changes what we need to do and can still do over the course of the next 20 years.

on the one hand you say that Houston won't be able to compete....then you say that Houston will replace TCU......which is it.....especially since it is TCU that was actually able to go out and earn something for themselves while UH did nothing and TCU has a much larger athletics budget than Houston

and you must be smoking crack if you think that Boise will replace anyone in the PAC 12 there is not a chance in hell that Boise ever gets in the PAc 12

and Vandy is not going to be replaced in the SEC either especially by the likes if USF

and are you saying there are going to be 18 team conferences because 72/4 = 18

where will the PAC get 6 more teams from if they are dumping WSU?...so Boise, Hawaii, SDSU, CSU, USU, Fresno, and SJSU are in and WSU is out?....or will it be NMUS and UNM and UTEP and UTSA and UH and some others?

other than all that I think you were on to something!