Will We Play Belt Schools In OC Games After Our Move ?

Cooley, I appreciate your honesty but would you boycott a basketball game if it's against say, Middle Tennessee or Louisiana? It seems to me that the opponent makes little difference for you in basketball. Of course, we'd all prefer to see us vs. Texas Tech, Oklahoma State et al at home but we've endured much worse opponents than the SBC. The same would be true for football. I'll be at the Texas Southern game just because North Texas is playing.

• Upvote 1

Cooley, I appreciate your honesty but would you boycott a basketball game if it's against say, Middle Tennessee or Louisiana? It seems to me that the opponent makes little difference for you in basketball. Of course, we'd all prefer to see us vs. Texas Tech, Oklahoma State et al at home but we've endured much worse opponents than the SBC. The same would be true for football. I'll be at the Texas Southern game just because North Texas is playing.

I know this might shock you, but football might not be as big a deal as bball to some.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Because UT won't come to Denton.

Because the other AQ schools won't schedule home and homes.

Because of the all the reasons listed on this 4 page thread.

Not true at all. Indiana signed a home and home with us.

Okie state and TT signed home and homes with SMU in the not too distant past.

MTSU had Okie state at home.

signing home and homes with AQ schools happens fairly frequently.

Not true at all. Indiana signed a home and home with us.

Okie state and TT signed home and homes with SMU in the not too distant past.

MTSU had Okie state at home.

signing home and homes with AQ schools happens fairly frequently.

It's somewhere in between. You're going to be hard pressed to get UT, Penn State or Ohio State in our Denton house. But the next tier of AQs is reasonable. The TTech's, Indianas and Okie States of the world seem approachable and negotiable.

As far as UT, I can recall a couple places they've been. It was, however, 1) to appeal to a large contingent of their alumni in that area and/or 2) in exchange for 2 games back at their place.

It's somewhere in between. You're going to be hard pressed to get UT, Penn State or Ohio State in our Denton house. But the next tier of AQs is reasonable. The TTech's, Indianas and Okie States of the world seem approachable and negotiable.

As far as UT, I can recall a couple places they've been. It was, however, 1) to appeal to a large contingent of their alumni in that area and/or 2) in exchange for 2 games back at their place.

I believe UT recently did a one for one with Central Florida, but I suspect that was mainly for recruiting purposes. Speaking of Central Florida, they seem to play a FCS game pretty much every year, and for those who want to ditch the SBC teams entirely, what would you think about doing something more along those lines to (hopefully) pick up some easy W's? I'm not advocating that personally because I would probably be more open to hosting an FBS Belt team every once in a while instead, but the FCS route for easy home wins hasn't seemed to harm Central Florida much.

In football, just as in basketball, there is such a thing as strength of schedule. Start scheduling nothing but cupcakes and you may have a good record but you'll be lower-rated than some 3, 4, and 5 win teams.

And, if you have a few winning records, when do you switch and start playing the big boys? Do you just keep padding your record?

For now, I would forego the opportunity game and have one with a MWC team, another with a lower standing power six conference team, one with a Sun Belt team, and one with a Texas team. All games to be home and home (unless one Texas team is FCS).

Ask Kansas State how scheduling out of conference opponents they could beat the crap out of has worked for them?

Since the start of the 1993 season, few programs can match Kansas State's win total or its winning percentage of nearly 75 percent. The Wildcats have participated in 3 Big 12 Championship games - claiming the 2003 Big 12 crown over No. 1 Oklahoma. K-State has been a consistent winner under Coach Bill Snyder, earning a postseason bowl berth in 14 of 19 seasons from 1993-present, including the 2012 AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic. (From the K-State website http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-footbl/ksu-m-footbl-body.html )

I'm not sure I totally agree with that, since TCU has played five 1AA games along with a bunch of smu since '06. It's almost like half (with a one game exception) of their OOC schedule in recent years has been against guaranteed win opponents. A big dose of a mostly bad Baylor team hasn't hurt their record much either.

foutsrouts, TCU would not schedule any school in the years you mentioned if they didn't think they would dominate or win against those schools (although I think Northwestern State out of Natchitoches, LA, and the Southland Conference almost put a goose egg on the Horned Frogs one particular Game Day) Still and as always........it's just more of the Texas intercollegiate pecking order M.O. of scheduling that has frustrated us all at one time or another thru the years but still.......it is what it is and no matter what we have thought about it, we are not going to change it any time soon.

TCU would never schedule North Texas during the Mean Joe Greene era (the 60's) and the Hayden Fry era (most of the 70's) because they know they would not have beaten any of those Mean Green FB teams especially with the losing cycle the Horned Frogs had been in for most of those 2 decades. Mean Joe's Greene's North Texas football teams had numerous NFL draft choices (including two 1'st rounders) and you all know what Fry did in Denton with my and a few others who witnessed that era mentioning it here every once in a blue moon.. :rolleyes1::hair:

Yet (IMO) North Texas does not presently have the luxury of scheduling schools that some might say are a rung below the CUSA or MWC level because on any given Game Day we could get beat by such schools now. As a Sun Belt member we might just shrug off such losses to lessers as just one of those things, but I think we have a brand new wrinkle at this time of our athletic history that I don't think we've ever had ever; that is, we now have far more watchful eyes and critics watching every thing North Texas does with our new critics headquartered at the CUSA offices in Las Colinas coupled with several other critics and that being every present CUSA school. We don't have to be reminded that many from that group fought our admission based on our recent history in football the last 2 or so decades.

We who follow the Mean Green almost to the person on this fourm have full confidence that Coach McCarney will get us above our recent past with warp speed and hopefully higher than we've ever been in our entire football history. It is no secret that CUSA fell in our lap because SMU left and went to the Big East. It doesn't take a rocket scientis to understand that had UNT been located at an outpost such as Ruston, Monroe or Lake Charles, we would have not been invited to CUSA based on our W/L records of the last (almost) 3 decades now. La Tech was quite timely with their recent football resurgence of success and I think even many of their fans would call that an understatement.

But finally for the first time in our history UNT's location became our new best friend--our ally, but now the stakes are so much higher for us to perform at a higher level that most have not seen in a long time. I really do think that North Texas will far exceed many expectations out there which will probably even surprise many from the present CUSA. I think CUSA officials really need that to happen at UNT for all concerned, quite frankly. We are not an upstart in Denton because our history and legacy proves we aren't; we've actually been there and done that before and at even a higher level than some present CUSA schools with our legacy-making beginning in the 1950's with the Abner Haynes/Sun Bowl team.. It still just boils down to the fact that we've been in a hibernation mode much longer than many of us thought we'd ever be..

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen