Will We Play Belt Schools In OC Games After Our Move ?

Please remember you wrote this when you feel the need to bring up Hayden Fry, any game played in Tennessee circa 1975ish and the 88 Texas team.

thanks.

So you want to celebrate what during your era that was as national a story as our biggest win in North Texas football history? It is what it is and no one

can revise that out of our athletic history since we are on the topic of revising things the last hour or so.. :rolleyes1:

I will add much of what I've seen the last 2 or 3 decades I am trying to forget. We have hardly been what one would call a college athletic program juggernaut during that time.

And to shaft: I did not say I "hated" kids but that I didn't ever want kids. Sue me! Millions more just like me out there. Can you understand the difference, though, of what you have said I said versus what I really said? (Isn't this getting utterly silly) LOL!

I am beginning to detect that you seem to add things or words that were never said and your own interpretation to things that are not even close to its intended meaning suddenly become " a revising of history" ? I'll try to post at a 3'rd grade level so you can start understanding what is being said....better yet, don't read what I post because then we would be even in that department. Comprende? .

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

If our athletics department had a dollar for every time we were major underdogs (along the lines of a 30+ point spread) who nobody thought had any real chance of pulling the upset... But, somehow came through with a shocking 21-14 win on the road against a barely over .500 power conference team... Somehow managing to rise to the occasion and defeat them and their legendary head coach (who was in a professional death spiral and soon to be forced out because of how he was dragging down their program)...

Well, we'd have at least 2 dollars.

!BjEeFq!CGk~$(KGrHqQH-EIEs96TqN(2BLS!CK6dLg~~_12.JPG

Perception and Money!!

Based on what I see in the economy some folks will prioritize where they will spend their entertainment dollars.

If we can schedule SMU and TCU in the same year and get a battle of who is the metroplex champs particularly in football why would one want to travel to Ark St or MTSU.

Whether we like it or not particularly in football your strength of schedule in out of conference games now that we are in CUSA (2013) will in the minds of fans not of the UNT persuasion provide the perception of NT football--are we deserving a bowl bid. One other major factor is winning the games. The perception is if you are beating your level or higher you are a quality school deserving a bowl bid particularly if the attendence is high at both away and home games.

Now for what I think regardless of perception and money is the impact on the student athlete. If they travel to a game that is a few hours away or less,play the game, and return back to Denton they will not miss class time. Also, remember these athletes after expending a lot of energy will still need to study so they can make their grades and graduate. That is one reason that I am glad UNT is now in C-USA.

GMG

Perception and Money!!

Based on what I see in the economy some folks will prioritize where they will spend their entertainment dollars.

If we can schedule SMU and TCU in the same year and get a battle of who is the metroplex champs particularly in football why would one want to travel to Ark St or MTSU.

GMG

That would be nice, but didn't tcu say they were done scheduling smu?

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1

I thought the Indiana game was a great game for us. It helped me get some ho hum alums to game by playing a big 10 team. I also like that we have Iowa in the future. Also like to see us at home with teams like;

Ole miss

Vanderbilt

Utah ( my daughter is going there )

Kansas

Iowa state

Any sunbelt team except for ulm

Northwestern

Clemson

Memphis

South Florida

Not sure if home and homes or 2 for 1 is possible for some of these but trying be somewhat realistic

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this is the great thing about this forum the total lack of honesty about what is being discussed

Boise State plays a FCS school just about every year. The past couple of years they've mixed in a game against the MAC and one against a BCS school. Hardly scheduling up.

Our non-conf schedules are much tougher than Boise's.

It ain't the schedule, its the winning.

here is the last three years of the Boise OOC schedule VS North Texas-Denton

2011 Boise #22 Georgia for a win true Georgia turned out to not be that good that year, but Boise had no idea that was the case when they scheduled them and I am positive no one on this forum would discount a similar win if North Texas-Denton even pulled one off......hell there is still talk of beating an unranked Tennessee team in 19 and 77 (or was it 78) on here

Toledo that was 9-4 for a win

Tulsa that was 8-5 for a win

Fresno State that was bad that year, but is generally tough

and Nevada that was 7-6 for a win so Boise played 4 bowl teams that year in the OOC and beat a team that was ranked #22 at the time from the SEC to open the season

2011 North Texas-Denton

Houston, Alabama, the same Tulsa team for a loss, Indiana for a win so you played a tougher team from the SEC, lost to the same Tulsa team.....a historcially horrible team from the Big 10, and Houston + of course killers row from the belt!

so lets see no D1-AA team for Boise, a win over the same team, and three more games against teams that have historcially been as good or better than the Houston team that North Texas-Denton played so at best I would say this is a push and clearly not the schedule you try and make it out to be

2010 Boise

Beat #6 VaTech

Beat WY

Beat Oregon State

beat an 8-5 Toledo

2010 North Texas Denton

lost to Clemson

Lost to Rice

Lost to Army

Lost to Kansas State

so that shows zero D1-AA programs for Boise, a win over a #6 ranked BCS team on the road, and another BCS team on the schedule and a MAC team with a winnign record....VS a loss to a BCS team, two horrible mid-majors, and a loss to a middle of the road BCS team

clear advantage Boise in that OOC schedule not to mention the clearly tougher conference schedule

2009 Boise

beat #14 Oregon (BCS and ranked)

beat Miami of Ohio (terrible MAC team)

beat Bowling Green (decent MAC team)

beat UC Davis (D1-AA)

North Texas-Denton

beat Ball State (terrible MAC team)

lost to Ohio (decent MAC team)

lost to Army a terrible independent team

lost to Alabama

again I would say this is pretty much a push since North Texas-Denton would have had the same zero chance of beating Oregon VS Alabama, two MAC teams and Army VS D1-AA UC Davis

so of the last 3 years Boise only had a single D1-A team on the schedule (so there goes your claim they have regularly scheduled D1-AA teams the last couple of years), one year was a clear advantage for Boise in the OOC in 2010 and at best 2011 was a push and probably advantage Boise and 2009 is at best a push.......hardly North Texas-Denton being able to claim even a slight OOC scheduling advantage and again Boise clearly played a tougher in conference schedule those years as well

even if you go back a few more years when Boise did play more D1-AA teams it is difficult to claim that North Texas-Denton had some clear advantage in the OOC

2008 Boise Idaho State, Bowling Green, Oregon, LaTech

VS

2008 North Texas-Denton KSU. LSU, Rice, Tulsa

again hardly a tougher if at all

2007 Boise Weber State, Washington, WY, USM

VS

2007 North Texas-Denton Oklahoma, Navy, SMU, Arkansas.....so a slight advantage for North Texas-Denton

2006 is below and hardly a tougher schedule for North Texas-Denton if at all

so there is 6 years of OOC schedules with North Texas-Denton having a slight advantage in a couple and with Boise not schedulng a D1-AA team for the last two years so your claim is pretty much off base and incorrect

in 2012 again no D1-AA team for Boise and Boise is playing MSU, Miami (oh), BYU, and USM

VS North Texas-Denton LSU, TSU, KSU, Houston so it is North Texas-Denton with the horrible D1-AA team and again hardly a clear advantage for either program.......the huge difference is that Boise manages to beat the good teams and the crappy MAC, WAC, MWC, CUSA teams that they play while North Texas-Denton gets destroyed by them for the most part and Boise playes ina much better conference as well and has better fan support and more resources so they don't need to whore themselves out

again your claims are blown way out of proportion and are actually becoming less true every year over the last 4 years including 2012

Boise gained a large enough national profile by winning a whole lot. And most of those wins were against the WAC and OOC cupcakes. They did not schedule up for the most part. The OU win cemented their place on the national scene, but they got to that game through beating the crap out of their WAC opponents. That year they beat a pretty good Oregon St team, a middle of the road Wyoming team, an above avg Utah, and destroying FCS Sacramento St. So yes, in some ways they did schedule up slighty (mediocre MWC teams > crappy WAC teams), but only played one team from a "BCS" league.

To stay on topic, I have no problem with playing a Belt team in OOC, just not at home. Why play them in Denton when no one cares to come see them? Let's do what Boise did and get ok MWC teams in, like Colorado St, New Mexico, or Air Force. And then win those games. Also ok with MAC or Big East.

oh yes again history threw the view of the green tinted potential machine

here are those WAC cupcakes

Hawaii was 11-3

SJSU was 9-4

Nevada was 8-5

the OCC was Sac State that sucks

Oregon State that was 10-4 and ended the season #21

in 2006 North Texas-Denton played

Texas, SMU, Tulsa, LaTech and Akron + of course the killers row of the belt!

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Assuming 4 oc games and one a guaranteed away game, than you have few schedule options. If you balance the home schedule,. NT is going to have to buy a game which would mean a fc division game. The fc ranks are getting thinning and even those games will be more expensive. The other option is that NT will alternate 2 oc games a year with one the next. The only 5 home games a schedule is what everyone is bemoaning next year.

The point is that NT may only have a couple of home and away series a year. NT like everyone is going to try to schedule those series against the most attractive opponents that they can. It really doesn't have anything about being too good to schedule anyone. Getting a one and one with a premier program is probably not gong to happen. That leaves the MWC, Belt, MAC, BE and two service academics. The most attractive schools to me, would be Houston, SMU, Army, Navy, and ULL. Second tier; MTSU, Nevada, UNLV, Co. State, NMSU, USA, and ASU.

• Upvote 1

I am fine with playing Sun Belt teams...we have developed some good relationships with those guys over the years and there is nothing to gain by refusing to play them. However, we won't have a lot of non-conference games in C-USA, and when we do it should be Texas teams first. We have to start getting strategic about our scheduling. Look at Arkansas State and ULL this year, both of them had schedules that were conducive to getting them bowl eligible. No more LSU games but rather teams like Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, A&M ...teams that get our fanbase excited!

Call it the “Kansas State” approach or whatever you want, our target needs to be an 8 (minimum 7) win season every year. At this point the issue should be on getting the “W” as much as who we play. As much as most of us drink the green kool-aid, the sports fan in general (reference Kansas State) are not going to be turned away by who we win against (we’re only going to have 3 or 4 games outside the conference).

Game 1 – Money game if we must (but does it have to always be a top 5 ranked team)

Game 2 – Challenge game – BCS team that would be a test (Baylor, Arizona, Iowa State,Etc.)

Game 3 – Non-AQ conference team that is winnable

Game 4 – FCS or low level BCS team

Again, IMO – Winning games is more important for the growth of the Mean Green fan base than 6-6, or 5-7 records against stronger teams.

• Upvote 1

this is the great thing about this forum the total lack of honesty about what is being discussed

here is the last three years of the Boise OOC schedule VS North Texas-Denton

2011 Boise #22 Georgia for a win true Georgia turned out to not be that good that year, but Boise had no idea that was the case when they scheduled them and I am positive no one on this forum would discount a similar win if North Texas-Denton even pulled one off......hell there is still talk of beating an unranked Tennessee team in 19 and 77 (or was it 78) on here

Toledo that was 9-4 for a win

Tulsa that was 8-5 for a win

Fresno State that was bad that year, but is generally tough

and Nevada that was 7-6 for a win so Boise played 4 bowl teams that year in the OOC and beat a team that was ranked #22 at the time from the SEC to open the season

2011 North Texas-Denton

Houston, Alabama, the same Tulsa team for a loss, Indiana for a win so you played a tougher team from the SEC, lost to the same Tulsa team.....a historcially horrible team from the Big 10, and Houston + of course killers row from the belt!

so lets see no D1-AA team for Boise, a win over the same team, and three more games against teams that have historcially been as good or better than the Houston team that North Texas-Denton played so at best I would say this is a push and clearly not the schedule you try and make it out to be

2010 Boise

Beat #6 VaTech

Beat WY

Beat Oregon State

beat an 8-5 Toledo

2010 North Texas Denton

lost to Clemson

Lost to Rice

Lost to Army

Lost to Kansas State

so that shows zero D1-AA programs for Boise, a win over a #6 ranked BCS team on the road, and another BCS team on the schedule and a MAC team with a winnign record....VS a loss to a BCS team, two horrible mid-majors, and a loss to a middle of the road BCS team

clear advantage Boise in that OOC schedule not to mention the clearly tougher conference schedule

2009 Boise

beat #14 Oregon (BCS and ranked)

beat Miami of Ohio (terrible MAC team)

beat Bowling Green (decent MAC team)

beat UC Davis (D1-AA)

North Texas-Denton

beat Ball State (terrible MAC team)

lost to Ohio (decent MAC team)

lost to Army a terrible independent team

lost to Alabama

again I would say this is pretty much a push since North Texas-Denton would have had the same zero chance of beating Oregon VS Alabama, two MAC teams and Army VS D1-AA UC Davis

so of the last 3 years Boise only had a single D1-A team on the schedule (so there goes your claim they have regularly scheduled D1-AA teams the last couple of years), one year was a clear advantage for Boise in the OOC in 2010 and at best 2011 was a push and probably advantage Boise and 2009 is at best a push.......hardly North Texas-Denton being able to claim even a slight OOC scheduling advantage and again Boise clearly played a tougher in conference schedule those years as well

even if you go back a few more years when Boise did play more D1-AA teams it is difficult to claim that North Texas-Denton had some clear advantage in the OOC

VS

2008 North Texas-Denton KSU. LSU, Rice, Tulsa

2007 Boise Weber State, Washington, WY, USM

VS

2007 North Texas-Denton Oklahoma, Navy, SMU, Arkansas.....so a slight advantage for North Texas-Denton

2006 is below and hardly a tougher schedule for North Texas-Denton if at all

so there is 6 years of OOC schedules with North Texas-Denton having a slight advantage in a couple and with Boise not schedulng a D1-AA team for the last two years so your claim is pretty much off base and incorrect

in 2012 again no D1-AA team for Boise and Boise is playing MSU, Miami (oh), BYU, and USM

VS North Texas-Denton LSU, TSU, KSU, Houston so it is North Texas-Denton with the horrible D1-AA team and again hardly a clear advantage for either program.......the huge difference is that Boise manages to beat the good teams and the crappy MAC, WAC, MWC, CUSA teams that they play while North Texas-Denton gets destroyed by them for the most part and Boise playes ina much better conference as well and has better fan support and more resources so they don't need to whore themselves out

again your claims are blown way out of proportion and are actually becoming less true every year over the last 4 years including 2012

oh yes again history threw the view of the green tinted potential machine

here are those WAC cupcakes

Hawaii was 11-3

SJSU was 9-4

Nevada was 8-5

the OCC was Sac State that sucks

Oregon State that was 10-4 and ended the season #21

in 2006 North Texas-Denton played

Texas, SMU, Tulsa, LaTech and Akron + of course the killers row of the belt!

You point out that Boise hasn't played a 1AA in the past 2 years....true since they're perennial top 10 now. But as they made their ascention up the national scene (2008 and earlier) they did play one every year.

You can't compare 2012 Boise to 2012 UNT. If we're "modeling" another program, we're 2002(ish) Boise vs 2012 UNT.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

I have really enjoyed the series with both Middle Tennessee and Arkansas State as conference opponents and somewhat regional rivals, both schools have wonderful fans and great things are happening at each school. That being said, I think all three schools could schedule more regional ooc contests that would be more appealing to their respective fanbases.

I would like to see North Texas have home-and-home series any Oklahoma, Texas (yes, including Texas State), and Louisiana-Lafayette schools. Occasional games against NMSU, the two Kansas schools, and the eastern MWC schools could fill any remaining holes in the schedule.

I support playing national power schools, but every other year at most. We can claim that we relish these challenges, but the results too often tarnish the new season, and the sports world only sees these games as our opportunity to pick up the cash on the nightstand.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1

You point out that Boise hasn't played a 1AA in the past 2 years....true since they're perennial top 10 now. But as they made their ascention up the national scene (2008 and earlier) they did play one every year.

You can't compare 2012 Boise to 2012 UNT. If we're "modeling" another program, we're 2002(ish) Boise vs 2012 UNT.

2002 Boise was 12-1 and ended ranked #15/#12 and had no D1-AA teams on their schedule and their only loss was to Arkansas

perhaps 1996 Boise would be a better comparison?

VS

2008 North I frequently have to go to the doctor to have foreign objects removed from my rectum KSU. LSU, Rice, Tulsa

I'm not going to take the time to read all of your ridiculously long posts, much less spend all day correcting the never ending erroneous statements, so I'll just mention the above statement that I happened to notice since it is clearly wrong. Tulsa and Rice were 11-3 and 10-3 respectively that year, so our schedule was obviously more difficult.

Btw, don't they have any kind of activities to keep you busy in your institution? You have just got to be confined somewhere, because no one in their right mind would devote their days and nights to cluttering the message board of a school in which they have no affiliation.

Ooops! Think I just hit the nail on the head. I do appreciate the continual NT-Denton reference though. It's really kinda catchy, and it certainly clarifies that we are not just a one campus university.

2002 Boise was 12-1 and ended ranked #15/#12 and had no D1-AA teams on their schedule and their only loss was to Arkansas

perhaps 1996 Boise would be a better comparison?

And Boise was so well respected by this awesome schedule in 2002 that they opened the next season unranked as they opened up with a 1AA.

Then they kept winning until they ended up ranked again at the end of that season (#16). They then opened up the next season unranked again. getting into the top 25 after they beat a mediocre Oregon State team.

Since 2002, BSU has played 6 1AAs, UNT has played 1.

• Upvote 1

And Boise was so well respected by this awesome schedule in 2002 that they opened the next season unranked as they opened up with a 1AA.

Then they kept winning until they ended up ranked again at the end of that season (#16). They then opened up the next season unranked again. getting into the top 25 after they beat a mediocre Oregon State team.

Since 2002, BSU has played 6 1AAs, UNT has played 1.

and yet they have been ranked at the end of the season 8 times including 2002 and 4 of those 8 were in the top 10

North Texas State has been ranked at the end of the season one time in their D1-A history

I'm not going to take the time to read all of your ridiculously long posts, much less spend all day correcting the never ending erroneous statements, so I'll just mention the above statement that I happened to notice since it is clearly wrong. Tulsa and Rice were 11-3 and 10-3 respectively that year, so our schedule was obviously more difficult.

Btw, don't they have any kind of activities to keep you busy in your institution? You have just got to be confined somewhere, because no one in their right mind would devote their days and nights to cluttering the message board of a school in which they have no affiliation.

Ooops! Think I just hit the nail on the head. I do appreciate the continual NT-Denton reference though. It's really kinda catchy, and it certainly clarifies that we are not just a one campus university.

yet strangely you not only read them you reply to them.....no ne would say that North I frequently have to go to the doctor to have foreign objects removed from my rectum was "scheduling up" because Rice happened to have their best season in the last 4 or 5 decades it was just luck of the draw for NorthTexas State

I suppose my "agenda" is the opposite of those that post half truths and lies to try and build a program based on "potential" and trying to call out and downplay the actual success of other programs VS the percevied success that would come with a lot of breaks, what ifs, changed ref calls, tweeking of the schedules after the season is over, and just plain BS that gets tossed around on this forum

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Downvote 2

even if you go back a few more years when Boise did play more D1-AA teams it is difficult to claim that North I frequently have to go to the doctor to have foreign objects removed from my rectum had some clear advantage in the OOC

VS

2008 North I frequently have to go to the doctor to have foreign objects removed from my rectum KSU. LSU, Rice, Tulsa

How pathetic. The guy rants his page after page of crap, and he doesn't even know which teams belong to which conferences. I hate to tell you, but La Tech was not an OOC game for Boise in 2008. I guess that means that there is no need to read any of your posts since the content is obviously all BS. Thanks for saving me some time.

That would be nice, but didn't tcu say they were done scheduling smu?

Coach Patterson 'busted a gasket after their SMU loss over some shenanigans and I think that was

a threat from him to not "help SMU" anymore by playing them, but I don't know what the TCU AD has

decided on that series.

TCU And Their Road Less Traveled: TCU played it smart, became exclusive (to a great extent) in their scheduling and didn't get bogged down

by playing schools that had those lesser schools beat the Horned Frogs it would have probably delayed any kind of BCS buster

kind of bowl and subsequently a better conference scenario like the Big 12. TCU didn't get in the Big 12 on their potential. Just

like SMU and UNT, TCU's DFW location played a part in their getting in the Big 12, but not as big a part as it did for SMU for the B.E. (3 winning seasons

in about a quarter of a century) and UNT for CUSA (we all know the road that we have travelled quite well for several decades now).

TCU has my admiration because they have some most astute thinkers among their group who had a plan; had a formula even

in their scheduling; who they wanted to be associated with schedule-wise and conference-wise; TCU officials didn't pussy

foot with their alums and fans, either, preaching at the regulars to fiill Amon Carter Stadium as if if were their responsibility; but most of all, TCU knew where

they wanted to go and had a short and long range plan to get there. They do have a nice bank account (endowment) that has helped, but sometimes

having all the money in the world is not going to help if you don't have a plan....TCU had a plan and that plan landed them into the Big 12. Not a bad landing

spot for a Texas private university most would agree in these parts.

UNT and SBC? As a new CUSA member, North Texas will be going to new, exciting locales that will make "most" forget the SBC. FWIW, if you have divorced yourself from a conference or anything for that matter, why keep going back to a past relationship because I assure you post-UNT's SBC divorce--things will never be the same. .02

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind playing some of the remaining Sun Belt teams from time to time, but I'd prefer to see UNT focus on developing our series with SMU into an annual game, and scheduling more name teams like Indiana for home and home series. I hope we get to a point where we play 7 home games a season, against name teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TCU And Their Road Less Traveled: TCU played it smart, became exclusive (to a great extent) in their scheduling and didn't get bogged down

by playing schools that had those lesser schools beat the Horned Frogs it would have probably delayed any kind of BCS buster

kind of bowl and subsequently a better conference scenario like the Big 12.

I'm not sure I totally agree with that, since TCU has played five 1AA games along with a bunch of smu since '06. It's almost like half (with a one game exception) of their OOC schedule in recent years has been against guaranteed win opponents. A big dose of a mostly bad Baylor team hasn't hurt their record much either.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Because UT won't come to Denton.

Because the other AQ schools won't schedule home and homes.

Because of the all the reasons listed on this 4 page thread.

I'm glad to see our fans still think of us as little ole North Texas and aren't capable of getting good schools to come to Denton. And why the hell would we ever want to host UT?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

In football, just as in basketball, there is such a thing as strength of schedule. Start scheduling nothing but cupcakes and you may have a good record but you'll be lower-rated than some 3, 4, and 5 win teams.

And, if you have a few winning records, when do you switch and start playing the big boys? Do you just keep padding your record?

For now, I would forego the opportunity game and have one with a MWC team, another with a lower standing power six conference team, one with a Sun Belt team, and one with a Texas team. All games to be home and home (unless one Texas team is FCS).

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 3