About to hit news cycle: SMU AD Orsini out..

GreenBat

With the way things are going for SMU, who in their right mind would want to join their staff?

They change staff like Larry Brown changes his Depends.

LOL! Now that's funny.

Edited by Side Show Joe

SMU is set to move from Conference USA to the Big East Conference in July 2013, a transition Orsini was overseeing. TCU, the other NCAA Division I program in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, had been set to go to the Big East but instead accepted an invitation to join the Big 12.
  • Upvote 1

I will be shocked if we play even one game of that scheduled series with SMU in a few years. Just watch.

I wouldn't let them buy it out. Make them play us!

This series would benefit both schools too much to let them weasel out of it. If they hate us for it then so what!

I wouldn't let them buy it out. Make them play us!

This series would benefit both schools too much to let them weasel out of it. If they hate us for it then so what!

I agree, but if they throw enough money at us to cancel the series that we can stop scheduling the LSU/UT/OU's of the world, then that will work for me.

IIRC, I believe that the buyout clause is always built into the contract if one party cancels the game/series. Since we know money is no problem down there, I'm sure we will see an announcement at some point over the next year saying that they want to play a more recognizable opponent that their fans want to see them play, or some other bs.

I have never believed for a moment that we will see that series get played out, other than maybe a home-and-home. At least we are supposed to play at home first. Otherwise, I could have easily seen them host the first one, then pay off the rest of the schedueld series. The one caveat to all of this is if we suck, then the series will get played, no questions answered. Since the Death Penalty, the only times they have played us is when they needed a recognizable game against a weak UNT team. Look at those games: 1989-1992, we played three games (two in Dallas, one in Denton) while we were i-aa (90 scholarships to our 65) and not again until 2006-2007 (when we were obviously dropped down as a program and they were just praying for .500). When we have been decent and begged them to play (see Safeway Parking Lot reference), we got nothing in response. When we were making our way in the SBC and actually winning the conference for four years in a row from 2001-2004, look at who we played from 2001-2005 (the season after our run ended, but games scheduled OOC were made while we were winning), we played TCU twice, Baylor twice, Tech, Arkansas, A&M, UT (twice), Tulsa, and La Tech. Granted, we didn't play Houston, Rice, or UTEP either during that timeframe, but we made it very clear that we wanted to play SMU. It took Phil Bennett and Darrell Dickey's friendship to put it all together--and it probably didn't help Phil Bennett that he lost to us and then barely hung on to beat a Todd Dodge-coached UNT team for his only win in his last season on the Hilltop. Both of those years, the attendance at both games was very high compared to the rest of the schedule. Since the series basically got scheduled the season before we played in 2006, it wasn't as if you could use the excuse of not being able to schedule a game. Heck, SMU beat Texas State in its only win in June Jones' first year there in 2008 and they played SFA at home, as well, the next year, IIRC. I understand that they like playing TCU beacuse of the rivalry and it being in the Metroplex, but I still think that it is obvious that they have only scheduled us when it is good for them. And if they cancel even one game against in this upcoming series, I wouldn't play those people ever again and I would immediately talk to UH, TCU, and Baylor about starting a series.

--- I can't imagine them cancelling a game with us now.... I am sure they would love to but unless they can replace us with a BIG-12 team, it won't happen... You can see the crowds ... they need us so they can fill the stands for at least a few games and that we would likely do.

---They are learning...... "The old grey Pony ain't what she used to be." ........ :)

-----They made a big mistake going to the Big East and part II of that mistake is: It allowed us to join CUSA which contains a lot of regional teams and for us to get the upper hand over them and to get a lot more Texas and Dallas area attention... Part II will likely the worst part of it for them.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

IIRC, I believe that the buyout clause is always built into the contract if one party cancels the game/series. Since we know money is no problem down there, I'm sure we will see an announcement at some point over the next year saying that they want to play a more recognizable opponent that their fans want to see them play, or some other bs.

I have never believed for a moment that we will see that series get played out, other than maybe a home-and-home. At least we are supposed to play at home first. Otherwise, I could have easily seen them host the first one, then pay off the rest of the schedueld series. The one caveat to all of this is if we suck, then the series will get played, no questions answered. Since the Death Penalty, the only times they have played us is when they needed a recognizable game against a weak UNT team. Look at those games: 1989-1992, we played three games (two in Dallas, one in Denton) while we were i-aa (90 scholarships to our 65) and not again until 2006-2007 (when we were obviously dropped down as a program and they were just praying for .500). When we have been decent and begged them to play (see Safeway Parking Lot reference), we got nothing in response. When we were making our way in the SBC and actually winning the conference for four years in a row from 2001-2004, look at who we played from 2001-2005 (the season after our run ended, but games scheduled OOC were made while we were winning), we played TCU twice, Baylor twice, Tech, Arkansas, A&M, UT (twice), Tulsa, and La Tech. Granted, we didn't play Houston, Rice, or UTEP either during that timeframe, but we made it very clear that we wanted to play SMU. It took Phil Bennett and Darrell Dickey's friendship to put it all together--and it probably didn't help Phil Bennett that he lost to us and then barely hung on to beat a Todd Dodge-coached UNT team for his only win in his last season on the Hilltop. Both of those years, the attendance at both games was very high compared to the rest of the schedule. Since the series basically got scheduled the season before we played in 2006, it wasn't as if you could use the excuse of not being able to schedule a game. Heck, SMU beat Texas State in its only win in June Jones' first year there in 2008 and they played SFA at home, as well, the next year, IIRC. I understand that they like playing TCU beacuse of the rivalry and it being in the Metroplex, but I still think that it is obvious that they have only scheduled us when it is good for them. And if they cancel even one game against in this upcoming series, I wouldn't play those people ever again and I would immediately talk to UH, TCU, and Baylor about starting a series.

so it is your premise that SMU is so all powerful, all knowing, and omnipotent that they can tell several years in advance what years that unT will suck and what years they will be a super power?

and even if that ridiculous concept was in fact true oh the horror that a university schedules to their benefit as much as possible VS scheduling as a charity case for another program that can't ever get it together or figure out a way to schedule for their own benefit VS being a whipping boy for others year in and year out

again why is it the job of SMU in particular out of all the 10 (soon to be 12) D1-A schools in Texas much less the 110 other D1-A programs in the USA to hold the hand of unT and be a benefactor for them and to concern themselves with the success of that program

which program is unT a benefactor for and which program do you schedule for their benefit each and every time they call.....and here is a concept perhaps you should stop doing that because SMU worrying about SMU is paying off for SMU much better than unT worrying about what SMU does every second and waiting for a charity contribution from them

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I only wish I could have been a fly on the ceiling to see (maybe even hear) SMU president Gerald Turner's response when it became apparent that North Texas would take SMU's place as CUSA's new Metroplex school.

Maybe no response at all from Turner, but with the "on again-off again" prospects of the Big East looking good one day and dismal the next, UNT taking SMU's place in CUSA may have been a topic Turner would refuse to discuss. For all who forgot, it was Turner who in that Dallas Morning News article several years ago kept pushing for another school other than ours for CUSA membership when he knew good and well that we wanted in.

Uh..............."what comes around......." ? :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I only wish I could have been a fly on the ceiling to see (maybe even hear) SMU president Gerald Turner's response when it became apparent that North Texas would take SMU's place as CUSA's new Metroplex school.

Maybe no response at all from Turner, but with the "on again-off again" prospects of the Big East looking good one day and dismal the next, UNT taking SMU's place in CUSA may have been a topic Turner would refuse to discuss. For all who forgot, it was Turner who in that Dallas Morning News article several years ago kept pushing for another school other than ours for CUSA membership when he knew good and well that we wanted in.

Uh..............."what comes around......." ? :)

GMG!

I would imagine it was not even a thought while he was taking a piss because I doubt that SMU even considers that

and if the Big East does not pan out for whatever reasons UH fans have made it clear they have no desire to return to the current CUSA and since Tulsa and UTEP fans have made it clear they would love to get out along with ECU and since Memphis and UCF would be in the same boat and USF would be having an issue as well there would be more teams leaving CUSA at least until CUSA starts filling ion again with belt teams and more move ups

the schools that have left CUSA and their fans have made it clear they are not looking to come back no matter what happens and there are plenty of CUSA teams that are appealing that would join right in with those BE or former BE teams

• Downvote 5

I would imagine it was not even a thought while he was taking a piss because I doubt that SMU even considers that

and if the Big East does not pan out for whatever reasons UH fans have made it clear they have no desire to return to the current CUSA and since Tulsa and UTEP fans have made it clear they would love to get out along with ECU and since Memphis and UCF would be in the same boat and USF would be having an issue as well there would be more teams leaving CUSA at least until CUSA starts filling ion again with belt teams and more move ups

the schools that have left CUSA and their fans have made it clear they are not looking to come back no matter what happens and there are plenty of CUSA teams that are appealing that would join right in with those BE or former BE teams

I love your outlook. Please don't change a thing. It will make our victory that much sweeter.

By the way, you should face reality. SMU is still benefitting from their years of cheating, but it's now starting to wear off. They are irrelevant and have been for decades.

SMU would do anything to separate themselves from little ole UNT, including driving a burning car into a lake (aka the Big East).

Edited by cdizzle86

I love your outlook. Please don't change a thing. It will make our victory that much sweeter.

By the way, you should face reality. SMU is still benefitting from their years of cheating, but it's now starting to wear off. They are irrelevant and have been for decades.

SMU would do anything to separate themselves from little ole UNT, including driving a burning car into a lake (aka the Big East).

1. why would I have to face anything regarding SMU

2. how is SMU benefiting from years of cheating when that happened nearly 30 years ago and they sucked for a decade or more after that until just recently

3. how is the benefit of cheating wearing off when SMU was just ask to move to a better conference and when SMU has gone to a bowl game 3 times in a row and won two of them after not going to a bowl game for something like 24 seasons before that?

and again the truth is that unT would have died to be ask to join the Big East and you would be saying it was the greatest thing to ever happen if that did happen and instead you are pretending like a conference that had 4 members leave and added 3 programs that have never played D1-A football is something huge and exciting and better than the Big East would be

and a multitude of programs besides SMU that have had more recent success than SMU left their conferences to join the Big East as well

but hey what ever makes you feel better is what you can go with!

even if it makes no sense at all and is easily proven as a joke

and you can say SMU is irrelevant and has been for decades, but they are still more relevant than unT and they have been for decades cheating or not

And how many new NCAA FBS conferences have been formed in the last 15 or so years? And when forming a new conference how long before a new league can have all the benefits of established conference beginning with how long before its basketball champion can receive an NCAA automatic bid? Would it be worth it for established NCAA schools like SMU and UH to really go thru all the trouble and hassle of leading the way for new NCAA conference?

If the Big East folds now or later, the MWC have already suggested SMU and UH for their Texas-based schools. That would be a good deal for the Stangs and Coog's but those MW and Pacific time zones are murderous for TV, radio and next morning game results.......ask TCU. They hated the time zone part of the MWC.

And if a new league formed leaving North Texas completely out in the cold could we count on you getting your ass off this message board since UNT's demise would most obviously give you much pleasure but at the same time very little material for "kick UNT in the butt" posts in the future? Would you believe your (seemed) main mission in life would be complete?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And how many new NCAA FBS conferences have been formed in the last 15 or so years? And when forming a new conference how long before a new league can have all the benefits of established conference beginning with how long before its basketball champion can receive an NCAA automatic bid? Would it be worth it for established NCAA schools like SMU and UH to really go thru all the trouble and hassle of leading the way for new NCAA conference?

If the Big East folds now or later, the MWC have already suggested SMU and UH for their Texas-based schools. That would be a good deal for the Stangs and Coog's but those MW and Pacific time zones are murderous for TV, radio and next morning game results.......ask TCU. They hated the time zone part of the MWC.

And if a new league formed leaving North Texas completely out in the cold could we count on you getting your ass off this message board since UNT's demise would most obviously give you much pleasure but at the same time very little material for "kick UNT in the butt" posts in the future? Would you believe your (seemed) main mission in life would be complete?

GMG!

the MWC was formed in the last 15 years or so and how much conference movement like there is today has there been in the last 15 years.....some, but not at the same level

a conference has to wait ZERO years to get an auto bid to compete in championships in all sports except mens basketball provided that they have at least 6 core members that have been together for two years......for mens basketball they need to have 7 core members and 6 of those core members have had to have been together for the last 5 years

that does not include some sports like mens soccer and a couple of others that have a play in to go to the championships those have no requirement

so if SMU, UH, Memphis, and UCF never play a down in the Big east and are never considered Big East members they would only need two teams from the CUSA out of UTEP, Rice, USM, ECU. Tulsa, and Tulane and then they would need one more core member for mens basketball (a core member is a team that has participated in D1-A for the last 8 years)

if SMU, UH, Memphis, and UCF played in the Big East or if they were counted as having left the CUSA (and breaking continuity) then they would still only need to join up with UTEP, Rice, USM, ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane to have 6 core members that have been together for 2/5 years and then they would already have the 7th core member as well

that would be 10 teams with an auto bid in all NCAA sports including mens basketball.....a choice of Louisville, Cincy, USF, Boise, SDSU and one other would get them to 12-16 depending on what they wanted to do.....I would imagine it would be Cincy and Louisville and USF combined with one other probably LaTech or UTSA to get them to 14 unless Cincy and or Louisville were taken by the ACC then throw in one more wild card and

why would I be going anywhere since NT and CUSA would not be going anywhere they would just "reload" while SMU plays in the new former Big East Disaster conference right?

• Downvote 2

It's one thing to WANT something...it's another thing to face reality. UH nor SMU are power brokers here and none of the super conferences will invite them so they won't have a choice but to come to CUSA or go to the MWC which in this case is debatable if it is a better option for those two. Where are they going to go? And stop with the nonsense of them creating their own conference because the athletics landscape is such that it won't matter what new conference you create...if you're not involved in a super power type conference you're just a minion that is on the outside looking in.

It's one thing to WANT something...it's another thing to face reality. UH nor SMU are power brokers here and none of the super conferences will invite them so they won't have a choice but to come to CUSA or go to the MWC which in this case is debatable if it is a better option for those two. Where are they going to go? And stop with the nonsense of them creating their own conference because the athletics landscape is such that it won't matter what new conference you create...if you're not involved in a super power type conference you're just a minion that is on the outside looking in.

where have I claimed they are power brokers?

where did I say they were going to get invited to a super conference?

and you might consider them forming a new conference as non-sense, but the reality is they are not going back to the CUSA to be one of 17 or 18 temas and they are not going back to the MWC to be one of 14 or 16 teams their fans have no interest in that

and you miss out on that fact that it will not be just UH and SMU it will be UH, SMU, Memphis, USF, UCF and possibly Louisville and Cincy that will be looking for a new home along with Temple, Boise and SDSU and Navy.....I would see Navy going independent and Boise and SDSU going back to the MWC

and even if Cincy and or Louisville or both go to the ACC that still leaves UH, SMU, Memphis, USF, and UCF looking for a place to play and the other teams from the old CUSA would love to get back together and would be calling them as fast as they could

and even if that is not a super conference it does not mean that teams will not look to make the moves that are best for their programs and a CUSA with a fresh batch of moveups and 18 teams is not what will be best for SMU, UH, Memphis and who ever else is left over

My goodness. When will you all realize that GL2Greatness is all knowing, all powerful and never, ever wrong. Respond to his posts and feel his wrath, because everyone is wrong and he is always correct. Don't take my word for it, just read through his responses that make Plumm's posts look like Cliff Notes.

"The old grey Pony ain't what she used to be." ........ :)

-----They made a big mistake going to the Big East (Part I) and part II of that mistake is: It allowed us to join CUSA which contains a lot of regional teams and for us to get the upper hand over them and to get a lot more Texas and Dallas area attention... Part II will likely the worst part of it for them.

Sr. Greatness:

Just remember what I said...... and where you read it.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I will be shocked if we play even one game of that scheduled series with SMU in a few years. Just watch.

No doubt SMU needs UNT more than UNT needs SMU. Even if SMU is able to maintain a series with TCU, Baylor and UNT, and that's a big if, SMU can only expect to play two home games against regional opponents. Do the math TCU, Baylor, UNT, Houston are SMU only regional opponents, half these games will be played at home and the other half away every year. Ford Stadium is going to very empty in 2013..

Now the SMU has join the BE, it will not be able to offer Baylor or TCU as favorable revenue terms as playing C-USA team. Don't be surprise if Baylor and TCU seek to replace SMU with UNT, La Tech or UTSA on their schedule. Also, once TCU leaves joins the Big 12, it will have plenty of regional games in the conference. TCU will probably use their OOC game to better advantage.

I do believe that developing a rivalry with SMU is to UNT's advantage, just because it will raise local media attention. It will give UNT fans another game they can easily attend.

Edited by Mark Gommesen