Great read posted by Lake Travis (Plano coach caravan stop)

Mens BBall

Tony Benford

If you had any doubts from the press conference on him as a public speaker, NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!

He got everyone up in a circle and gave the most powerful speech of the night.

Opening up with a story that will SHOCK you all and prove how much of an influence he has on the players.

He had 2 weeks to work out the players and get to know them.

One of the first practices, two showed up late.

Benford told one of the guys, i know you're 5 mins late but you cant practice today.

When you need to be somewhere, especially practice, i EXPECT YOU TO BE THERE, or else you are letting the rest of the team down.

That player apologized and asked what can I do coach?

Benford allowed that player to stay but he had to give 100 touches. motivating his teammates under the basket.

After he did 100 touches, he asked coach, what can i workout now?

Benford walked this player across the street to Fouts and asked him to run 5 miles. This will be you're workout.

This player was Tony Mitchell.

He sat down with Tony and his mother and showed him what his strengths and weaknesses are.

"When you get drafted next year and Doc Rivers gives me a call, its not going to be about any tardiness, dribbling off the ball.

Apparently Benford is close friends with Doc Rivers

He believes he will get Tony to the next level and we will not recognize this team next year.

He went down the roster next year and confirmed UDOH and Forrest are gone

Udoh has academic issues and will not be joining the team.

Forrest LEFT the team after not panning out after the workouts.

ALL the players will be eligible this Fall!!!!!

This brought a huge applause from the crowd, SO YES!!!! Chris Jones, Justin Patton and Jordan Williams are GOOD TO GO!

No word yet on scheduling, still in the works but he is not afraid to bring in any team to the super pit. SMU most likely wont want to play us. lol

Feel free to ask me any questions, there is more i will add later once I can remember but this was GREAT event.

If you get a chance, go to the last show in Fort Worth.

The coaches genuinely appreciate all the support we give them.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 5

AWESOME READ!!!!

This is very exciting. It is so hard, as fans, to find something tangible, something that you can hold on to, that proves your program is moving in the right direction. I can go and show this to my "nay-sayer" friends. There's no denying the facts on this one. Really, Vito should have been all over this... This post is so powerful.

I am sooo ready for next season. These current mean green students have no idea how lucky they truly are... Its taken awhile, But i truly believe RV is a great leader and that we will soon be doing big things and making headlines in college sports.

P.S. - Somebody is going to try to steal RV from us pretty soon!

GMG!

• Upvote 2

There was quite a change in demeanor and swagger from Coach Benford between last week's event in Denton vs. last night's event in Plano. He was pretty fired up last night and seems to be adjusting to North Texas nicely. His shirts and skins comment regarding the scheduling of the local team to the south was quite amusing and got a favorable reaction from the crowd.

I like that he doesn't back down from lofty expectations associated with this year's squad. He flatly tells the crowd that we're going to be "really good" and that his expectations are a Sun Belt championship.

Had a few minutes to chat with both Coach Benford and Coach Peterson. They are both going to be great representatives of UNT Athletics and I feel will really shine in recruitment of student atheltes. Assuming they see some early success, the basketball program will be in great shape for years to come.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 2

mccarney.jpg

I have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career.

I like to imagine RV under the bed holding his cell phone and trying to tell Mac everything he sees. This has legs.

• Upvote 4