financial numbers

I am mostly Impressed with Stony Brook U's numbers of over $24 million total revenues.

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am 61 years old, have been a reasonably close follower of NCAA sports but for the life of me

I never knew there was a school out there named.......Stony Brook University.

Maybe Stony Brook U is worth a look by the Big East? :rolleyes1:

GMG!

PS: Another reason North Texas has wanted membership in CUSA for over 20 years now is to increase our revenues.

With 3 other Texas schools in our CUSA West Division and the others in our division within 4 to 5 hours driving distance it

is easy to see why this is going to be such a great new era for North Texas athletics

UNT was a Lone Star State island unto ourselves with no Texas-based conference rivals in NCAA Division One since our Mo' Valley days, but now

a couple thousand or more ticket-buying traveling fans for our CUSA opponents who'll be coming to Apogee will be such a welcome for

all of us who like to see fans from other school at our home games. Is there anything that adds more spice to a college Game Day than when

our opponent has a good representation of their fans who come to Denton? And because of the full package CUSA offers our UNT athletic dept.,

they will be counting significantly more benjamin$ in our future revenue statements.

This CUSA membership is going to be such a win-win for all in Mean Green Country.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I am mostly Impressed with Stony Brook U's numbers of over $24 million total revenues.

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am 61 years old, have been a reasonably close follower of NCAA sports but for the life of me

I never knew there was a school out there named.......Stony Brook University.

Maybe Stony Brook U is worth a look by the Big East?

GMG!

State University of New York Stony Brook they are a member of the AAU and they were admitted in 2001 along with TAMU and they were the last members admitted until GaTech

• Downvote 2

sort the list by highest subsidy percentage to lowest........ the lower the percentage the better and in that regards North Texas is doing just fine....

It's also for the years 2006 thru 2011. We had losing seasons in football each of those years.

Also keep in mind that North Texas was (still is) in the Sun Belt which means we probably spent much of our budget

in transportation expenses all over the Deep South and flying all our varsity sports to 2 schools in Florida as well.

Winning and filling Apogee Stadium (yes, filling Apogee Stadium--why aim for less?) will goe a long ways in stabilizing our financial future.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Come on people, the NT numbers are obviously wrong. Do you really think that NT is at the very bottom of the Belt in revenues and has less than half the revenues of MTSU? Not to mention the little problem if those numbers are correct of having a $7m deficit average every year since 2006. It is a non-profit, revenues have to meet expenses at some point.

Revenues as defined in these numbers include all sources including institutional support and student fees. Does it make sense that ULM would have more revenues than NT. The 18M expense number is the only pertinent number there. If you are spending 18m than you have to get those funds from somewhere.

NCAA reported stats are misleading and easily manipulated, but this is just an error.

• Upvote 1

Since I have GL2whatever set to ignore, I have no idea how Stony Brook factors in this thread, but I still have to put my 2 cents in...

[rambling]

I'm originally from Long Island. My family moved to Stony Brook when I was 12. I went to Stony Brook U. for one year until I came (sight unseen) to North Texas to test myself in the NT Jazz program, and stayed in Texas after graduating. My parents and sister still live there, so I go back 3 - 4 times a year, and always hear what's going on.

A short history of Stony Brook U.: It was created in the 1960s as a small college. The local benefactor in the community, Ward Melville (heir to the Thom McAnn shoe fortune, and who my high school is named after) was trying to rejuvenate the village of Stony Brook, in the mold of Williamsburg, VA. He wanted a small college like William & Mary, with colonial style buildings, so he donated land to the state of NY. Nelson Rockefeller fixed him - good.

Rockefeller decided that the campus would be one of four major universities in the state, and Stony Brook U.'s mission was to become the "Berkeley of the East", focusing on the sciences. The first couple of decades, it grew exponentially, with new buildings of every possible style of architecture, and the community hated it. The only thing that came close to it being like Berkeley was the radical nature of the student body. The lowlight was a big drug raid in the late 60s or early 70s that was covered on the national news by Walter Cronkite.

I went to a couple of basketball games when I was a student that one year. The school was Div III. The team name was the Patriots - the same as my high school (it's no surprise that no one from my high school wanted to go there). The basketball team played Four Corners, and so did their competition, leading to scores like 32-30. I don't think there was a football team.

Since I left in 1980, the university has slowly matured, and actually now has the reputation in the sciences and health sciences that was desired so long ago. As for sports, at some point the students, desiring their own identity, voted to change the team name to the Sea Wolves. I think they made the jump to I-AA in the mid-90s. They built a football stadium - I think it seats 5,000 - with money from the State Legislature (things are different up there), helped by the local legislator, Kenneth P. LaValle, so they named it for him. If they want to make it to the FBS, they're going to need a lot more money. I don't have any idea what the school's endowment is, but I doubt that they have any big athletics donors.

They've been helped in expanding their football program by Hofstra canceling their program. You might remember Hofstra making it to the I-AA playoffs several times.

The school always has been a commuter school, since it is in the middle of suburbia, and adjacent to a Long Island Rail Road station. Dorm residents would head home for the weekend - there was no town, no nightlife, except for parties in the bars in the dorm basements that were permitted up through the early 80s. While the student population is much different now than it was in the 60s & 70s, I doubt the commuter nature has changed.

Who attends their football games? Good question. Probably as many local high school students (like my nephew) looking for something to do on a Saturday as there are students of Stony Brook.

Oh yes, about lacrosse - no surprise. Ward Melville High School is the perennial state champs in lacrosse, beginning with my senior year. It's big in all of the Long Island high schools, much bigger than football in most. So obviously Stony Brook will be good in lacrosse - although the players would probably rather be playing for Johns Hopkins.

Edit: the official name of all four of the universities in NY is:

State University of New York at __________, or... SUNY __________. Obviously people are just going to call it Stony Brook (or Buffalo, or Albany, or Binghamton).

[/rambling]

Edited by Stix

http://ope.ed.gov/at...684372697465726

I have no clue where USA Today got their figures but they are about half of what was reported to the DOE. I'm sure that their figures are totally bogus. Can they furnish any kind of certification for the amounts that they report? DOE reports are either signed by college presidents or designated individuals.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

Come on people, the NT numbers are obviously wrong. Do you really think that NT is at the very bottom of the Belt in revenues and has less than half the revenues of MTSU? Not to mention the little problem if those numbers are correct of having a $7m deficit average every year since 2006. It is a non-profit, revenues have to meet expenses at some point.

Revenues as defined in these numbers include all sources including institutional support and student fees. Does it make sense that ULM would have more revenues than NT. The 18M expense number is the only pertinent number there. If you are spending 18m than you have to get those funds from somewhere.

NCAA reported stats are misleading and easily manipulated, but this is just an error.

Exactly what I was thinking. No way we were so low - especially with the new stadium. Most likely there's a mistake. If these numbers are correct then it must be because of some accounting procedure which removed a significant amount of of our athletic income.

• Upvote 1

I think that its funny that this link was thrown out there as a troll (by a troll) to get people fired up around here. It sounds as if this report isn't even close to correct for our records, but even if it was dead-on right, who f---ing cares? We got what we wanted in the last three years--new stadium, new coach, new conference. I don't care if we were dead-ass last on that list, because the results are about as good as we could have dreamed of just five years ago. In 2006, when this "report" started, we fired a coach who hated his job here and hated the fans while providing us with the best three rushing plays-and-punt offense imaginable. We then hired a HS coach, in part, because we couldn't fully pay a decent coach while paying off the old one and were still being run as a school who looked at funding athletics like I look at jumping out of a window. We played conference games against nobody from Texas and against "powers" from the SBC. And, worst of all, we played in a toilet of a stadium, which was literally an albatross on the program. By 2011, every one of those hurdles have been cleared for our future. After we finish off 2012's SBC schedule, its off to CUSA and its friendly locales for fans to travel and build up a rivalry or two with. We have a great ambassador in Dan McCarney, who also happens to be a very solid football coach. And, of course, we have Apogee, which is just incredible. Our future is so much brighter than this dark period covered. Truly, it appears that it is the darkest just before the dawn.

No more Dickey, Dodge, Big West, SBC, Fouts, lack of local rivalries, etc...And if I were an alum of Texas State, UTA, UTD, Collin County Community College, or some other place that I took classes at because UNT "did me wrong", I would be very bitter, too, at UNT's movement in the last three years. And if I tried to fool everyone into believeing that I was a SMU fan, I, too, would try to make UNT's progress seem as poor as possible, since I actually know that UNT's progress in the last three years alone shows everyone that if the university decides that they want to be a bigger player in college football, that would only hurt SMU's future, not help it in any way, shape, or form. GL2Spareness is a great troll, but I respond to this because I want the rest of GMG to recognize just how bright the future is getting here at UNT-Denton!!

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2