It ain't over yet!

I'm not sure that I understand your comment. The Big East split is something that should have happened five or six years ago. The basketball schools have been a wedge driving the conference apart. The separation will help stabilize the football members especially. Those who do not play football appear to have been a major factor in driving members to the ACC and elsewhere.

They are one reason that I have disdain for hybrid conferences. Those who do not have football demand equal shares of all revenue with a much smaller investment. If such a conference ever had a chance to work it would require keeping football and basketball revenues separate.

This split should have little effect on CUSA. It won't change the numbers since only basketball schools are leaving therefore there is no need to add anyone other than those already committed.

• Upvote 1

If the Big East implodes and all schools have to shuffle rather fast to find a conference home, I honestly can't wait to see all the ridiculous measures SMU will take to avoid being in a conference with North Texas. You know, the school they are not paying any attention, too? :rolleyes1:

I don't think SMU has any idea how ridiculous they look with other Metroplex sports fans outside our own UNT constituency. (Insert a Norm Hitzghes high pitched giggle here).

GMG!

The University of North Texas: The Rising North Star of the Metroplex!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think this is an implosion at all. The footballs schools will still play football. They will still be an AQ conference as long as there are AQ conferences. The TV money is based on football and that still hasnt changed. Joe Bailey is the interim commissioner and he knows football and TV. SMU and Houston won't want to come back and ECU and Southern Miss are still in tiny TV markets.

• Upvote 1

I don't think this is an implosion at all. The footballs schools will still play football. They will still be an AQ conference as long as there are AQ conferences. The TV money is based on football and that still hasnt changed. Joe Bailey is the interim commissioner and he knows football and TV. SMU and Houston won't want to come back and ECU and Southern Miss are still in tiny TV markets.

I think you're right, in this divorce is the big issue who gets custody of which kids. NCAA rules do not permit the creation of a football only conference. Those schools who see themselves as primarily football schools would have to form a new conference in all sports including basketball and meet Title IX requirements. What happens to the twins, Memphis and Temple, do they go with mommy (basketball) or daddy (football). My bet is mommy. What happens to Boise State and San Diego State, the two foster children, they are football only members. Do they go with Daddy, but add their other sports because of Title IX issues. They could be placed in new foster home the MWC. If I was one of the foster kids I be hoping for a new home before things get ugly between mommy and daddy.

My bet is daddy gets to keep the house (remains the Big East Conference) and mommy moves out (forms a new conference.) Some of the older children like Louisville may want strike on there own and head west to to a grandparent (the BIG 12 or the BIG 10). The foster children are placed in a new home (MWC). Finally the concern Aunt (C-USA) sits back and enjoys the show.

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 2

I think you're right, in this divorce is the big issue who gets custody of which kids. NCAA rules do not permit the creation of a football only conference. Those schools who see themselves as primarily football schools would have to form a new conference in all sports including basketball and meet Title IX requirements. What happens to the twins, Memphis and Louisville, do they go with mommy (basketball) or daddy (football). My bet is mommy. What happens to Boise State and San Diego State, the two foster children, they are football only members. Do they go with Daddy, but add their other sports because of Title IX issues. The could be placed in new foster home the MWC. If I was one of foster kids I be hoping for a new home before things get ugly between mommy and daddy.

:thumbsu:

I've never thought of "mommy/daddy" for an illustration. Nice touch! :rolleyes1:

I just know North Texas needs to grow up to CUSA standards very quickly and later let things fall where they may fall. I like what I see in our new future, though.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If the Big East implodes and all schools have to shuffle rather fast to find a conference home, I honestly can't wait to see all the ridiculous measures SMU will take to avoid being in a conference with North Texas. You know, the school they are not paying any attention, too? :rolleyes1:

I don't think SMU has any idea how ridiculous they look with other Metroplex sports fans outside our own UNT constituency. (Insert a Norm Hitzghes high pitched giggle here).

GMG!

There is always the Sun Belt.

The University of North Texas: The Rising North Star of the Metroplex!

GMG!

IMO - The Big East "Football" schools that do not go to "BCS" conferences merge/join MWC. Just think it would be hard to see them create a new conference with all of the potential instability that could follow and have teams get picked off by the “Bigger Fish” Conferences.

Edited by El Paso Eagle

IMO - The Big East "Football" schools that do not go to "BCS" conferences merge/join MWC. Just think it would be hard to see them create a new conference with all of the potential instability that could follow and have teams get picked off by the “Bigger Fish” Conferences.

Agree...

UH and SMU would be begging for MWC membership if it comes to that and.......if there are any openings.

I think if any new all sports conferences would have been formed that that would have already happened.

Nothing stable about the NCAA of this decade for certain and helter-skelter may now be the best words to describe it.

UNT still should send SMU a note of thanks for leaving CUSA and finally allowing our school to have

some Texas and regional conference rivals, though. (well, not really)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Nice spin job, guys. This is potentially big news for us. If this move results in even just a couple of schools getting disgruntled and amping up efforts to bail (Louisville/UConn/Rutgers/Cincy), Tulsa, ECU, and Marshall are the first schools offered to replace them. All 3 of those schools would jump, if offered. Losing Tulsa would suck, impo.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nice spin job, guys. This is potentially big news for us. If this move results in even just a couple of schools getting disgruntled and amping up efforts to bail (Louisville/UConn/Rutgers/Cincy), Tulsa, ECU, and Marshall are the first schools offered to replace them. All 3 of those schools would jump, if offered. Losing Tulsa would suck, impo.

In all reality Louisville/UConn/Rutgers/Cincy have biting at the bit for years. It's no secret that ECU, and Marshall would love to bump up from the C-USA. Problem is where would Louisville, UConn, Rutgers, or Cincy go. The Big ten doesn't appear interested in expansion. The Big 12 just complete a 2 billion dollar tv deal, they are fat and happy. They certainly do not want to renegotiate the a new media deal because of expansion. ECU and Marshall are in very small media markets and really have little to offer the Big East. Sorry girls, he just not into you. The ACC has already has grabbed the pick of the litter from the Big East. With all due respect, I do not believe that C-USA is threaten by this news. I think a much greater possibility is that Boise State and San Diego State return to the MWC. If the BCS develops a playoff scheme centered around conference champions, than suddenly Notre Dame and BYU come into play for the Big East.

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 1

I all reality Louisville/UConn/Rutgers/Cincy have biting at the bit for years. It's no secret that ECU, and Marshall would love to bump up from the C-USA. Problem is where would Louisville, UConn, Rutgers, or Cincy go. The Big ten doesn't appear interested in expansion. The Big 12 just complete a 2 billion dollar tv deal, they are fat and happy. They certainly do not want to renegotiate the a new media deal because of expansion. ECU and Marshall are in very small media markets and really have little to offer the Big East. Sorry girls, he just not into you. The ACC has already has grabbed the pick of the litter from the Big East. With all due respect, I do not believe that C-USA is threaten by this news. I think a much greater possibility is that Boise State and San Diego State return to the MWC. If the BCS develops a playoff scheme centered around conference champions, than suddenly Notre Dame and BYU come into play for the Big East.

And if that happens, and nothing else, the Big East will be down to 11 football schools (after Navy joins in 2005). Would they stand pat at 11??

• Upvote 1

And if that happens, and nothing else, the Big East will be down to 11 football schools (after Navy joins in 2005). Would they stand pat at 11??

http://sports.yahoo....-140810841.html

"The days of a non-AQ BCS buster are over. With all of the best non-AQ teams finding bigger conferences, the chances of one of the remaining schools in the Mountain West, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, WAC or Sun Belt having a strong enough schedule to rise up and take one of those coveted four spots is going to be near impossible especially if strength of schedule is factored into the new rankings formula. In that same vein, some of the teams looking to make the leap to the Big East might want to reconsider. With automatic qualification status gone, it's all about making your current conference as strong as it could be. Is a consolidated C-USA/MWC stronger than the Big East (and more cost efficient in terms of travel)?"

If the MWC/C-USA can improve upon existing media contracts or negotiate new contracts it will become even less financially advantageous to join the Big East. The Big East just isn't as attractive of an option for a C-USA school. The Big East will be seeking schools which offer a large media market or increase their ranking as a football conference or both. There really aren't any C-USA schools that currently meet those criteria at this time.

Edited by Mark Gommesen