Why Middle Tennessee nor Ga. State will not get an invite to the C-USA

Are you looking at population of the MSA or DMA? That makes a big difference. Norfolk is the 43rd largest DMA with ~719,000 TV households. When it comes to networks, those are the numbers that they are interested in. For what it's worth, Nashville is 29 with ~1,000,000 TV households. I doubt that CBS is worried about the competition with the SEC. The SEC games would always get the better network, but if you can add eyeballs on a secondary networks at the same time, why wouldn't you?

DMA list for those interested.

And this is why they should invite VCU and GMU. GMU is in DMA number 8, and VCU is in DMA number 57.

Let's be honest, we don't really care who get's the last spot in CUSA East.

The new CUSA West division is perfect for UNT. We just want the last team to be the one that brings the most money to the table.

It's hard to really care about a team we will only play once every three or four years and visit only once every seven years.

• Upvote 1

Are you looking at population of the MSA or DMA? That makes a big difference. Norfolk is the 43rd largest DMA with ~719,000 TV households. When it comes to networks, those are the numbers that they are interested in. For what it's worth, Nashville is 29 with ~1,000,000 TV households. I doubt that CBS is worried about the competition with the SEC. The SEC games would always get the better network, but if you can add eyeballs on a secondary networks at the same time, why wouldn't you?

DMA list for those interested.

CBS is not worried about competing with the SEC. They are the SEC. They have 850 million long term contract with the SEC. They do not want any threat to those ratings. Secondly ten years ago no one probably would have seen Boise State has a threat to any one's ratings ether. If a Ga. State or a MTSU develop their football programs to become a top rate program a la Boise State or TCU then what happens. Or the C-USA has several programs that are nationally rated and regularly complete in a market with an SEC team. What happens if CBS has rights to two hot games in dfferent conferences but in the same media market. The C-USA is not the Sun belt. These are very real possibilities. Since the CUSA/MWC have a major media contracts with CBS and because CBS has an even bigger contract with SEC. The CUSA/MWC does not want to enter media markets where the SEC is established. CBS does want to compete against itself and has that media market already. If you had a huge investment in a restaurant, an I approached you about joining me in opening a new restaurant. We even had open several other restaurants together quite successfully. But, now I want to open a restaurant right across the street from the restaurant that you have huge investment, would you invest? Probably not. You would tell me to open my restaurant in another town or at least across town. If an SEC game gets 50% market share without the C-USA for CBS, the only incur the cost of producing promoting one game. If SEC game gets SEC game get 40% market share because it a 10% share to a CBS share to CUSA game on CBS Sportsnetwork. CBS gains little or more market share but incurs the cost of promoting and producing two games.

• Upvote 1

CBS is not worried about competing with the SEC. They are the SEC. They have 850 million long term contract with the SEC. They do not want any threat to those ratings. Secondly ten years ago no one probably would have seen Boise State has a threat to any one's ratings ether. If a Ga. State or a MTSU develop their football programs to become a top rate program a la Boise State or TCU then what happens. Or the C-USA has several programs that are nationally rated and regularly complete in a market with an SEC team. What happens if CBS has rights to two hot games in dfferent conferences but in the same media market. The C-USA is not the Sun belt. These are very real possibilities. Since the CUSA/MWC have a major media contracts with CBS and because CBS has an even bigger contract with SEC. The CUSA/MWC does not want to enter media markets where the SEC is established. CBS does want to compete against itself and has that media market already. If you had a huge investment in a restaurant, an I approached you about joining me in opening a new restaurant. We even had open several other restaurants together quite successfully. But, now I want to open a restaurant right across the street from the restaurant that you have huge investment, would you invest? Probably not. You would tell me to open my restaurant in another town or at least across town. If an SEC game gets 50% market share without the C-USA for CBS, the only incur the cost of producing promoting one game. If SEC game gets SEC game get 40% market share because it a 10% share to a CBS share to CUSA game on CBS Sportsnetwork. CBS gains little or more market share but incurs the cost of promoting and producing two games.

Just so I understand, they would rather lose ratings to another network than to keep it on their family of networks? The networks already exist and compete with each other, regardless of what they are showing. Each network is already promoting whatever programming they have on at the time, so costs aren't going up. Besides, the way you promote football games doesn't cost a lot. In one 30 second spot, you can pretty much cover every match-up that you have on every network for an entire day.

In your restaurant example, I might be interested. It depends on what kind of food you are serving. Few people goes to the same restaurant all the time, so another investment in the new place across the street may be good since I can get a greater share of wallet by having more opportunities to collect money from the same people, or new people not interested in the product I currently offer.

• Upvote 1

Let's be honest, we don't really care who get's the last spot in CUSA East.

The new CUSA West division is perfect for UNT. We just want the last team to be the one that brings the most money to the table.

It's hard to really care about a team we will only play once every three or four years and visit only once every seven years.

If you follow basketball you will care who is added. If it messes with your RPI you care. I would rather take ODU, they have had consistant basketball for 3 decades now, very few losing seasons. Ive watched MTSU for a few years now and went and looked back at their record. Last year looked like an anomaly for them. Kermit Davis has been very eratic at win loss seasons.

• Upvote 1

If you follow basketball you will care who is added. If it messes with your RPI you care. I would rather take ODU, they have had consistant basketball for 3 decades now, very few losing seasons. Ive watched MTSU for a few years now and went and looked back at their record. Last year looked like an anomaly for them. Kermit Davis has been very eratic at win loss seasons.

Excellent point, HerdZone, that is exactly why if ODU does accepts the C-USA invitation, the C-USA should pursue VCU and GM as basketball only members. Talk about bumping up your ratings percentage index and increasing your chances at at-large NCAA tournament slots and improve seeding. CUSA needs ODU.

Your growth has nothing to do with who from the Sun Belt goes with you, or what start-up schools CUSA takes in the east. It has little to do with CUSA at all.

Your growth has to do with the grouping of schools you are associating yourself with in Texas....Rice, UTSA, UTEP, UNT. You have an excellent chance to come out on top of that group competitively and if you do that task then you will blow up in Texas and your attendance will be on the road to ECU/USM levels.

This man, THIS MAN GETS IT.

Try not to become elitist though.

I don't know man, that sounds like a lot of work.

• Upvote 1

They are going A10. They don't care about football.

Chatter is GMU doesn't have the resources to move. That they are just breaking even with the final 4 money from the VCU run. This could be devastating for GMU if both ODU and VCU leaves the CAA. The only other respectable basketball program that would be left with them is Drexel then. Both VCU and GMU would be nice I just don't ever see it happening.

They are going A10. They don't care about football.

As members of the C-USA they have greater media payout and national exposure and recruiting. The A-10 has loss both Temple and Charlotte and is not has attractive has it once was. The travel expense profile of A-10 is not all that better than the C-USA. It would allow VCU and GM to maintain traditional rivalries with ODU. It would also permit new rivalries with Charlotte and ECU. Adding VCU and GM has basketball only members can be beneficial to both the C-USA and the individual schools. Especially when larger conferences are monopolizing media access.