Pre-Snap Read On CUSA Expansion

This article is pretty much spot on in its treatment of CUSA taking three FCS programs who have a combined 40 games in their recent history, NONE at the FBS level. This should NOT have been done and, I think, lowered the esteem of CUSA. It's not that these are unworthy institutions; they are simply not ready for this level of (football) play. It could be years before they are ready. There was no rush to admit them. Again, what was CUSA thinking?

In the past Conference USA was not considered an entry level league but they've now outdone all but the SBC in the number of FCS teams admitted. The Sun Belt would've no doubt taken both UTSA and Charlotte and, if they became truly worthy, would've given them up to CUSA or the Big East later. ODU might have had to go the the MAC but they also could've been accepted later. There is also a possibility that ODU may not want to go to the FBS at this time.

In addition to inexperience two of the three do not have FBS-level facilities. Old Dominion plays in a stadium that seats 19,818 (which to their credit they do sell out) and Charlotte will play in a 24,000 seat stadium. They are still a year away from playing a single down of football in their history.

Conference USA should've admitted Middle Tennessee, who does meet the requirements of experience, facilities, market, attendance and budget. That would've given them 12 for now and still maintained their championship game. They could've added the others as they became ready.

This black eye could take a while to heal.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 4

That is crazy logic taking teams because the Belt may get them. Not sure that has anything to do with it. CUSA went for markets and to balance out the league. Unless something very unusal happens, CUSA can probably continue to take their pick of Belt teams when they wish.

• Upvote 1

CUSA has a history of helping schools make the move. UAB and USF both moved up to Div I football through CUSA. Each school added brings money to the table which is what you look for when expanding. They are not splitting the pie without adding value. The schools chosen would have had a home with the competition and brought that value to the Belt. Not smart business to leave then out there.

• Upvote 1

That is crazy logic taking teams because the Belt may get them. Not sure that has anything to do with it. CUSA went for markets and to balance out the league. Unless something very unusal happens, CUSA can probably continue to take their pick of Belt teams when they wish.

I think you could argue it either way. But recent indications have shown teams with no history have the advantage over teams with BAD history. They haven't pissed off their donors/fan base and the energy is high rather than apathetic. Obviously there are exceptions, like NT with our newly focused commitment to excellence through doubling the budget and building all new facilities. But you won't find another school in the Belt with that commitment. So you look for a school that HAS that commitment. That's where the likes of UTSA. ODU. and Charlotte come in.
  • Upvote 1

CUSA has a history of helping schools make the move. UAB and USF both moved up to Div I football through CUSA. Each school added brings money to the table which is what you look for when expanding. They are not splitting the pie without adding value. The schools chosen would have had a home with the competition and brought that value to the Belt. Not smart business to leave then out there.

It's true that UAB and South Florida did move to the FBS through CUSA but both were already basketball members of the conference establishing a football program but heretofore they hadn't taken any FCS outsiders. While it's true that Charlotte was once a Conference USA member they have been gone for seven years. C-USA has been an all-sports conference for some time now. They can get established FBS teams and don't have to rely on developing FCS programs such as they plan with UTSA and ODU.

I'm sure that the three were chosen because or the large San Antonio, Charlotte and Norfolk markets but I don't believe that market alone is enough to sustain a program that is likely to get clobbered for several years while trying to get up to speed. Will their fandom stay the course through 1-11 seasons? I contend that if they start at a lower level that they will have a much better chance for success.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

UTSA was already in transition from fcs to FBS so there shouldn't be any real heartburn there.

And it wasn't that the SBC might swoop in on Charlotte, the SBC had already offered. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7879241/unc-charlotte-49ers-decline-offer-sun-belt-conference-source-says

I still don't get the Old Dominion move. It just seems like another SBC or MAC school would have made more sense.

• Upvote 1

I gave GrayEagle a +1 because I agree with the sentiment but I don't completely agree with the opinion. I guess I look at this in a more positive light because I feel that CUSA has appeared through the years to really do its homework on researching institutions. There are two reasons I believe that this will work out better for the CUSA FCS teams than it did for our rise up to the Sun Belt back when we were first admitted:

1.) These institutions have already shown (speaking to UTSA and ODU) the ability to show large fan participation in football in FCS leagues. Moving up to a much better FBS league is like in my opinion throwing lighter fluid on an already raging fire. It will only solidify these fanbases.

2.) Money, money money. Follow the money. With UTSA's 30K students and reportedly ODU's fat wallets, this to me more than anything else will ensure these teams being locks in this division. I would not be surprised if ODU and UTSA had to provide assurances that big time dollars would be spent on marketing and facilities. This will be helped along by the fact that the administration will be able to sell it right out of the gate due to quality opponents coming into whatever new facilities that will be built/upgraded.

did I mention money is an important factor here?

Edited by Stan R

Location, Location, Location. They bet on the future. Big markets means bigger TV $$$. It also means lots and lots of news coverage in areas that hold the most recruits. That advantage should help even the playing field with the BCS schools and give CUSA a huge advantage over non BCS schools. I get it.