A thought about UTEP

Harry

OK so the merger didn't work out for now, too much money lost - units whatever. The consultants came up short in that particular regard and the loophole that they saw closed up tighter than a drum. So what we have is an Alliance between two separate conferences for now. But that could and most likely will change in a couple of years when the payments for the schools leaving get put into the bank.

My point is that UTEP may need to go to the western side to placate the eastern schools who don't want to travel their non revenue sports out there. But in the end they will still be a part of the merger which I do think will happen in a couple of years. Both of these conferences have spent a lot of time and capital in terms of the formation of the merger. Because of that and the fact that the TV revenue for a merged conference represents some significant dollars I think that it will happen. So the fears about "losing" UTEP may be premature.

The only long term hole I see long term in the merger is the fact that they will only allow one NCAA bid for basketball and representation at the NCAA. That is a big deal and could end up hurting this entire plan. The other side of it is, you don't need two bids if you play at a high enough level to get an at large in every year.

One thing I’m wondering….. C-USA is charging exit fees to the schools leaving – how could that be impacted if UTEP is allowed to move???

I think that's up to the discretion of CUSA ie they can choose to waive a fee if they want to. I don't think they do that without some assurances that the merger will indeed take place. Just in case Thompson goes in another direction they will have a stipulation in the waiver that the fees must be paid if the merger does not take place.

If you waive one set, then the rest of the schools will refuse to pay thiers as well. All that will do is to lead to a protracted legal fight.

There is no way they can waive the fees just to help out the MWC. That would defeat the purpose of not going through with the merger now because of the $$ implications. You might see the shifting of funds from the MWC, from the BE defections, to CUSA IF they allow UTEP to leave, but it would be a disaster to just let them go.

There are ways to waive a fee without waiving it. Since there is likely going to be a scheduling alliance and/or TV contract alliance, an one time offsetting amount of money could be allocated to the MWC which they pay to UTEP to cover the exit fees. Problem solved and everyone is happy.

• Upvote 2

Any one else had the thought run across their mind that if the Big East loses their guarantees that there may be a few schools wanting to bail out of all that and come back to their former regional conference homes?

Harry (or anyone) how many openings would there be for that if it were to happen once this first group of schools come into the Alliance in what some think will be an announcement for that in less than a week now?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'll admit my ignorance on settlement rewards but it seems to me that UTEP is throwing away their share of the CUSA settlement and will not be entitled to any of the distribution of the MWC money because they have not been recent members. Tulsa would give up the same if they moved to the MWC.

Another question that I have is why would the remaining members want to waive the exit fee when it weakens their conference and their pockets by doing so? Each conference will be allied initially for only TV, marketing and scheduling so each needs to act in their own best interest in other matters unless and until a merger happens.