April 27-20 GASO Shootout Schedule and info

GreenBat

One last fun fact: If you're wearing a polo shirt with a college or university logo, or if you're carrying notes and writing down information during games... A lot of people apparently just assume you're somehow involved with scouting or recruiting. Doesn't matter where you're sitting.

Luckily, none of us had both things going for us. We might have walked out of the place on staff at one of the D-2 or JUCO programs with representatives in attendance.

Excellent job Tasty! Thanks for the write-up. Benford may still have a couple of spot for you guys. I was in and out, mostly out today @ Lone Star Park. I hate the fact that they didn't have programs or even post the rosters on the website. You guys did a phenomenal job without rosters. I too like the Neal twins. They both play football so they will have a decision to make in 2 years. They'll need to fill out a little more for either sport. Next to the Harrison twins at Fort Bend Travis, they maybe the best in Texas. Didn't get a chance to see Walker yesterday or today. Was disappointed that many teams and top talent don't participate in the spring shootou;. Instead, elect to wait until the summer. Saw TJ Cline take a nasty elbow to the side of his neck. (Borderline intentional) Kid was down for a while.

Outstanding Tasty!

One last question - can you describe any differences between Coach Benford's demeanor as compared to Johnny at these type of events? Ie is he working the crowd similar to how Johnny did etc...just trying to get a feels for how Benford is being received.

Other random player observations:

While we were watching Triumph Select Gold, some parents from another team sitting nearby started asking us some questions. They mentioned (not that we asked them any questions or engaged them in/sustained the conversation beyond their utterances, which would of course potentially be a Booster recruiting violation) that they had a kid on Houston Lynx Blue that's a 2013 recruit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjCIaVZk7c4, a 6'7" post who plays between 260 and 280 pounds. His parents said that if they could get about 20 pounds off him, he'd "jump out of the gym". We saw a little of him from the next court over later in the day, and he reminds me of a younger and shorter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOxw8xcf7kE. Tangential relevance? Poulter is an incoming UALR recruit.

Like this kid. He knows how to use his body in the post, a skill that is dying a slow death. I doubt the 6'7" listing, unless everyone he plays against is also 6'7",

It would be nice if he could transform some of that girth into height. Nice touch on the jumper, also. Looks like he might have that ever elusive midrange jumper in his arsenol.

• Upvote 1

Also, class of 2013 can currently sign a LOI correct?

Sorry, I overlooked this part of the question. The earliest that 2013 kids can sign a letter of intent is November. Early signing period runs for a week in November, then opens up again in April of 2013.

Excellent job Tasty! Thanks for the write-up. Benford may still have a couple of spot for you guys. I was in and out, mostly out today @ Lone Star Park. I hate the fact that they didn't have programs or even post the rosters on the website. You guys did a phenomenal job without rosters. I too like the Neal twins. They both play football so they will have a decision to make in 2 years. They'll need to fill out a little more for either sport. Next to the Harrison twins at Fort Bend Travis, they maybe the best in Texas. Didn't get a chance to see Walker yesterday or today. Was disappointed that many teams and top talent don't participate in the spring shootou;. Instead, elect to wait until the summer. Saw TJ Cline take a nasty elbow to the side of his neck. (Borderline intentional) Kid was down for a while.

Thanks, Cooley. We're planning on doing a few more of these events over the summer... If you have any recommendations, please let us know.

If you get a chance, try to check out Michael Williams (if you haven't already). I'd love to hear what you think of his prospects.

One last question - can you describe any differences between Coach Benford's demeanor as compared to Johnny at these type of events? Ie is he working the crowd similar to how Johnny did etc...just trying to get a feels for how Benford is being received.

JJ is (was?) absolutely beloved at these things. Before we could even get in the door, the guy who sold us our wristbands started talking about JJ and how much he's going to be missed around here. But then he had some very nice things to say about Benford. During the games, people would see us in North Texas gear and strike up a conversation about how much they liked Johnny Jones and how sorry they are that he's not going to be our coach anymore.

Benford was only there for 2 games (that we saw him watching). He was totally locked in on the Mustangs. He seems to be very popular among the assistants. After his arrival, there was practically a receiving line of guys coming over to say hi, shake his hand, and (presumably) congratulate him on the new job.

Tasty, Hunter is a good kid and will be a senior at Kingwood High. His parents and I are on the booster club together. I will get to see him play alot next season (my son plays on the sophomore team). he was injured some of last year so it was a hard season for him.

His family seemed very nice. We didn't get to see him much directly, but the guy he vaguely reminded me of did end up as a D-1 signee.

Definitely let us know if he's able to bounce back from his injury and get into better physical condition.

Tasty, Hunter is a good kid and will be a senior at Kingwood High. His parents and I are on the booster club together. I will get to see him play alot next season (my son plays on the sophomore team). he was injured some of last year so it was a hard season for him.

Very nice family. Dad said he broke his foot last season and was a little behind. If that kid decides to play football,he will be holding a handful of DI offers

• Upvote 2

One last fun fact: If you're wearing a polo shirt with a college or university logo, or if you're carrying notes and writing down information during games... A lot of people apparently just assume you're somehow involved with scouting or recruiting. Doesn't matter where you're sitting.

Luckily, none of us had both things going for us. We might have walked out of the place on staff at one of the D-2 or JUCO programs with representatives in attendance.

You know you hear very intriguing things while standing behind Coach Cross and Luster in the coaches sky box.

Tasty and NT03 did their homework. This was a cool event. I was very impressed with Michael Williams and the Neal brothers. Williams was already wearing a green uniform so we know he'd look good in NT Green.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1

Other random player observations:

While we were watching Triumph Select Gold, some parents from another team sitting nearby started asking us some questions. They mentioned (not The Mustangs squad we were focused on have two other guys that are worth mentioning. One was #23, Zack or Zach something (Update your damn website, Mustangs). He looked promising.

Zach Coleman : Woodrow

I don't know how I missed this , but ADAMS was playing with Triumph yesterday ? Very nice player. Seems to be about 5 shades darker than the last time I saw him play vs WF Hirshi a few months ago in the state playoffs. Or maybe it was just because the rest of the team was so... white ??

Texashoops says it was him , but I think they may be mistaken.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Benford and Manning were back again today for the Dallas Mustangs (Booker) game against the Latinos Select team. I thought the select team was going to be a joke initially but they could ball. Don't have a name but I'd offer #15 right now, as he was the best player on the court today for the latinos. .

• Upvote 1

Benford and Manning were back again today for the Dallas Mustangs (Booker) game against the Latinos Select team. I thought the select team was going to be a joke initially but they could ball. Don't have a name but I'd offer #15 right now, as he was the best player on the court today for the latinos. .

Interesting that with that many teams to scope out that he's attended 3 mustangs games.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

South Texas Irish:

Apparently, basketball is just like boxing. Irish = Sports White. But they were like a much more athletic and aggressive version of Triumph Select Gold. 3 guys in particular stood out: Luke Wilshire and DJ MacLeay were very impressive.

Michael Williams was on another level, though. He looked GOOD. Like, Chris Jones/Orlando Mendez-Valdez good. And he's a legit PG with size (6'2"). Drives well, shoots well from everywhere, distributes the ball well... I hope someone on our new coaching staff has seen this kid, because to my untrained eye... He was one of the 4 or 5 best players we saw all day. With 6 scholarships that will likely need filling in the 2013 class... I definitely think we could have a place for him here.

I was wondering this morning whatever happened with this guy, and where he would be going to school.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tcu/basketball/recruiting/player-Michael-Williams-125950

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061113aaa.html

Signed with TCU. I'll be interested to see what kind of career he puts together for them.

I might be heading to the OFY 64 again in Frisco later today , text me if interested

You posted this while playing in the GMG.Com Softball game...you, Sir, are the king of multi-tasking.

• Upvote 2