Thursday afternoon basketball update

GreenBat

There has been a lot of movement on the basketball front this afternoon with both the men's and women's programs.

I spoke briefly with Eastland coach Doug Galyean and checked in at UNT on the status of sophomore forward Forrest Robinson.

Robinson was not at Tony Benford's introductory press conference unless I totally missed him.

Galyean said that Robinson has not left UNT, which was the same story I was told in the basketball office. New UNT head coach Tony Benford wasn't in.

Robinson is considering his options at this point.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/04/thursday-afternoon-basketball-1.html

• Upvote 1

It makes sense for him to stay. Why would he want to sit out another year? His only issue has been playing time. That will be the thing that Coach B. will need to convince him of. With Zo and Ked gone he should get more playing time no?

It makes sense for him to stay. Why would he want to sit out another year? His only issue has been playing time. That will be the thing that Coach B. will need to convince him of. With Zo and Ked gone he should get more playing time no?

If he becomes more agressive in the paint, yes.

I was hoping he would get 5-10 minutes a night this next year.

If he stays, and i fully expect him to, best case senario is coach B. can convince him to redshift a year and bulk up mentally and physically. Hopefully playing last year showed him that the jump from 2A to D1 was was much bigger than he expected.

• Upvote 1

If he stays, and i fully expect him to, best case senario is coach B. can convince him to redshift a year and bulk up mentally and physically. Hopefully playing last year showed him that the jump from 2A to D1 was was much bigger than he expected.

I would have him up against the most physical post defender on the team for 30 minutes of each practice (Zo this past year) and tell that physical defender to pound the crap Outta Forrest. Eat or be eaten.

Forrest couldn't make up his mind before his surprise signing with UNT. He liked every program that looked at him. I was the biggest fan pushing for more playing time, as I think he was the best shooter on the team. At the same time, he looked very slow running up and down the court and has always been extremely soft. I think it is in Forrest's best interest to transfer, if he wants guaranteed minutes. If he couldn't get on the floor on a team that lacked big men then good luck at USC. I will be very disappointed in our new coach if he doesn't aggressively go after even greater talent to strengthen our top 8. Forrest was my 9th last year.Btw, I thought I did see Forrest at the press conference!

• Upvote 1

I would have him up against the most physical post defender on the team for 30 minutes of each practice (Zo this past year) and tell that physical defender to pound the crap Outta Forrest. Eat or be eaten.

Exactly... but without a redshirt year I wouldn't plan on getting much out of him until the last maybe 1.5 seasons of his eligibility.

• Upvote 1

Forrest couldn't make up his mind before his surprise signing with UNT. He liked every program that looked at him. I was the biggest fan pushing for more playing time, as I think he was the best shooter on the team. At the same time, he looked very slow running up and down the court and has always been extremely soft. I think it is in Forrest's best interest to transfer, if he wants guaranteed minutes. If he couldn't get on the floor on a team that lacked big men then good luck at USC. I will be very disappointed in our new coach if he doesn't aggressively go after even greater talent to strengthen our top 8. Forrest was my 9th last year.Btw, I thought I did see Forrest at the press conference!

Who are you proposing for the spot if Forrest does bolt.

• Upvote 1

Exactly... but without a redshirt year I wouldn't plan on getting much out of him until the last maybe 1.5 seasons of his eligibility.

I wouldn't go that far. He could give you a solid last 2 years of eligibility, 3 if he redshirted this season.

The thing is, this kid could be a monster if he ever matures physically and emotionally (really not the right word, maybe aggressively?). You don't let that potential walk away from the program.

Could he never get it and end up a 6'11" jump shooter? Yes, but in my book the upside far outweighs the downside.

Coaching figures into the equation, also.This kid needs to get that he belongs at this level. He does not look confident on the basketball floor, and without confidence, you don't succeed in college basketball.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I think Robinson has great potential, but you have to wonder if he wants to transfer because of lack of playing time on a team that desperately needed an inside guy to step up last year.

I hope he stays and frankly don't know any reason he should not. He may have felt left out by the four other freshmen who were apparently all friends before NT or maybe he didn't like the old staff. It is obviously tough being from a small school that at 6'10 you could dominate every game going to college ball were you are frankly way down the pecking order even among the freshmen. I am sure his injuries didn't help but he is going to have to get a lot better no matter where he plays to get a lot of court time.

It sounds like it is up to Benford, if he wants to re-recruit him or just let him go and get someone else that may fit in better. I saw a lot of promise in Robinson, but at this point losing him is not going to hurt the program.

• Upvote 1

Yes, his PT time could still be a little rough this season, but after we soon lose guys like Holmen, Niko, Patton (?), and some guy with the initials TM, I could see him starting two years from now along with Odoh, Jordan, Alzee, and Jones. Of course he has got to really get down and work his tail off to make that happen.

• Upvote 1

Reality Forrest plays soft. Forrest is the only one who can solve this. I was very pleased to see Forrest sign here, but he's going to have to "Man" up. CJ and JW are going to have to "Man" up in the classroom and Forrest will need to do so on the floor. If Forrest does then he'll get playing time, if not he'll need to move on. Just the fact of the matter. It's not like JJ didn't want him or give Forrest opportunities to "Man" up. Late in many games no matter the outcome I saw JJ give Forrest minutes, no matter how limited they were. I didn't really ever see JJ put in Edwards in the line up when Forrest was given the nod, so Forrest can't claim he was in JJ's dog house and decided to leave UNT. I was surprised to hear Forrest wasn't at our new coach's press conference unless he was in class.

Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 1

Reality Forrest plays soft. Forrest is the only one who can solve this. I was very pleased to see Forrest sign here, but he's going to have to "Man" up. CJ and JW are going to have to "Man" up in the classroom and Forrest will need to do so on the floor. If Forrest does then he'll get playing time, if not he'll need to move on. Just the fact of the matter. It's not like JJ didn't want him or give Forrest opportunities to "Man" up. Late in many games no matter the outcome I saw JJ give Forrest minutes, no matter how limited they were. I didn't really ever see JJ put in Edwards in the line up when Forrest was given the nod, so Forrest can't claim he was in JJ's dog house and decided to leave UNT. I was surprised to hear Forrest wasn't at our new coach's press conference unless he was in class.

Go Mean Green.

The reality of it is that Robinson played a grand total of 96 minutes all season. 31 of them came in November/1st week of December against La Sierra and St. Gregory's.

16 games, 13 of them after an injury that left him walking with a noticeable limp (and which we thought would wind up getting him a medical redshirt).

We don't know much at all about how he plays at the college level. I hope he tuns into a serious contributor. I hope we can keep him and that his attitude makes him someone worth keeping.

6'10"+ guys who can shoot 3 pointers are rare, rare, rare. For us to get one ought to make it pretty obvious that he needs some work and seasoning. You don't get that with a bum leg and 4 minutes of game time against Arkansas-Little Rock.

But, if he's going to be a delicate guy who needs to be handled... Or if he's probably just going to end up transferring after next season... Probably best to get this situation worked out sooner instead of later. Filling 5 scholarships well is tough enough. Filling 6 (sorry, CBL... but it's going to happen) is even tougher.

I don't want us to have to fill 7 next year.