Late night thoughts on an eventful day

Harry

I have been off the blog for a while since I had to design the paper tonight, which turned out to be one of the more eventful nights I can remember at UNT in a long time.

A quick recap:

1. UNT introduced Tony Benford (seems like a great hire, by the way) as its new basketball coach.

2. Tony Mitchell confirmed he is staying to play for Benford (UNT just started to look like a potential Top 25 team again)

3. UNT delegated the authority to president Lane Rawlins to shift UNT to a new conference should the opportunity present itself.

4. Oh, and UNT won the Sun Belt golf tournament.

Let's start with No.3 and remember what a conference commissioner told me a while back -- "Don't believe 90 percent of what you hear when it comes to conference realignment."

I talked to a variety of sources, including ones at North Texas and inside of the CUSA offices today and heard varying takes on what is about to transpire.

CUSA and Mountain West Conference officials are going to meet this weekend to discuss their plans for a merger. I was told that they are still very much alive.

There is also way too much smoke and way too much being said for there not to be some truth to the fact that there might conference realignment news coming down the pipe soon.

The UNT board of regents isn't going to hand Rawlins the keys to the car that is the school's athletic program if there isn't a chance he can soon drive it somewhere.

UNT could very well be in the expansion plans whether or not the merger goes through.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/04/late-night-thoughts-on-an-even.html

Yes he does. I am also glad NT's administrators decide to work behind the scenes and not drop their panties and report their every whim for all to see like SMU. You see the ridicule they've received for the Brown hiring, we don't have to endure that crap.

• Upvote 1