UP-SIDE?

agw0038

So JJ only related to players bc he was black? I don't buy that at all. Rick Barnes, Scott Drew, John Calipari..all white guys. If you can recruit it doesn't matter your race.

umm... nowhere in my post did i say JJ only relates to players bc he is black...

but if you don't think that race had something to do with it your in denial.

I agree, if you can recruit, then you can recruit, no matter the race. That being said, you named all the guys at the big time programs. Big time players are almost always going to go to big time programs anyways... yes?

I don't think that's what were talking about here though. Tony is the only true Big-Time player we have on the roster as of now (not saying there arent some who could develop into that). Why did Chris and Jordan pick UNT?

They wanted to play for Coach Jones.

And now that he's gone I think that we should be looking for coaches with similar characteristics. If that happens to be Fran, then so be it... im down for whatever can keep this team together and get us in the tourney.

As far race goes, it definitely played a role in why those guys came here. And in certain situations it will always play a role.

Edited by agw0038
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I think this guy has unbelievable connections to foreign countries and the international player; through his work @ ESPN and the NBA draft. I would be very disappointed if he does not bring in top developing big men from around the world that we have never seen before. At home, he should be able to reach beyond Baton Rouge for good players.

• Upvote 2

umm... nowhere in my post did i say JJ only relates to players bc he is black...

but if you don't think that race had something to do with you your in denial.

I agree, if you can recruit, then you can recruit, no matter the race. That being said, you named all the guys at the big time programs. Big time players are almost always going to go to big time programs anyways... yes?

I don't think that's what were talking about here though. Tony is the only true Big-Time player we have on the roster as of now (not saying there arent some who could develop into that). Why did Chris and Jordan pick UNT?

They wanted to play for Coach Jones.

And now that he's gone I think that we should be looking for coaches with similar characteristics. If that happens to be Fran, then so be it... im down for whatever can keep this team together and get us in the tourney.

As far race goes, it definitely played a role in why those guys came here. And in certain situations it will always play a role.

I'm no Baylor historian but I don't remember Baylor ever being a big time program....were they in a power conference? Yes but before Drew got the job I remember them being in shambles because of their coach's cover up of a murder.

Does race play some role in sports? Yes I'm sure it probably does but those guys came here because they were probably recruited heavily recruited well and don't you think their success the last half decade or so might have had SOMETHING to do with it? Combined that with UNT being far enough to where they can have a college experience but close enough to go home whenever they wish or need too? They wanted to play for JJ because he probably sold them his vision, ideas of the program, ideas for them as student athletes...not because of skin color because if he wasn't producing 20 win seasons and make a few appearances to the tourney I can assure you we probably wouldn't have continued this momentum of success in men's basketball and wouldn't have had a great chance at landing these really nice recruits and positive publicity locally and nationally.

I agree with almost everything you have to say. Where we differ is that you say race PROBABLY plays a role in sports...I say OF COURSE it does...

Did JJ accomplish a lot while at UNT? Hell yeah he did or wouldn't even be having this conversation.

But some of you guys are in straight denial...

of course race plays a role in recruiting and in sports in general. No matter what connotation you want to give it, its the truth.

And you are correct. Baylor has not historically been a big time program... but we can all agree they've been one recently. And going back to those dark days in the Baylor basketball program with the murder and everything... they had the talent back then.

Any time there's a top 10 national player coming out of one of the DFW schools... i guarantee you Baylor is going to recruit that player... along with Texas, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and any other big time school you want to name. UNT will not be going after that player. not somebody that highly ranked. not straight out of HS (maybe one day, but not now)

Baylor and UNT's bbal programs are apples and oranges... just a completely different playing field.

I'm no Baylor historian but I don't remember Baylor ever being a big time program....were they in a power conference? Yes but before Drew got the job I remember them being in shambles because of their coach's cover up of a murder.

Does race play some role in sports? Yes I'm sure it probably does but those guys came here because they were probably recruited heavily recruited well and don't you think their success the last half decade or so might have had SOMETHING to do with it? Combined that with UNT being far enough to where they can have a college experience but close enough to go home whenever they wish or need too? They wanted to play for JJ because he probably sold them his vision, ideas of the program, ideas for them as student athletes...not because of skin color because if he wasn't producing 20 win seasons and make a few appearances to the tourney I can assure you we probably wouldn't have continued this momentum of success in men's basketball and wouldn't have had a great chance at landing these really nice recruits and positive publicity locally and nationally.

• Upvote 1

I agree with almost everything you have to say. Where we differ is that you say race PROBABLY plays a role in sports...I say OF COURSE it does...

Did JJ accomplish a lot while at UNT? Hell yeah he did or wouldn't even be having this conversation.

But some of you guys are in straight denial...

of course race plays a role in recruiting and in sports in general. No matter what connotation you want to give it, its the truth.

And you are correct. Baylor has not historically been a big time program... but we can all agree they've been one recently. And going back to those dark days in the Baylor basketball program with the murder and everything... they had the talent back then.

Any time there's a top 10 national player coming out of one of the DFW schools... i guarantee you Baylor is going to recruit that player... along with Texas, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and any other big time school you want to name. UNT will not be going after that player. not somebody that highly ranked. not straight out of HS (maybe one day, but not now)

Baylor and UNT's bbal programs are apples and oranges... just a completely different playing field.

I guess you missed that we were in Mitchell's top 3 when recruiting him out of high school? He didn't just fall into our laps.

I feel for you, being relatively new and all, but you really need to stop. Like now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I highly doubt our basketball players care what color skin the new head coach has as long as he can lead them to victory and the NBA. Fran is the best option on the table right now unless there is a name we do not know about.

Fixed

This is for you.

cookie.jpg

Why not a white chocolate chip cookie!? What if CMJ can't relate to milk chocolate chips? How insensitive of you!

• Upvote 1

Fixed

Why not a white chocolate chip cookie!? What if CMJ can't relate to milk chocolate chips? How insensitive of you!

I like M&M's because I am colorblind. Can't we all get along? :ph34r:

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

I guess you missed that we were in Mitchell's top 3 when recruiting him out of high school? He didn't just fall into our laps.

I feel for you, being relatively new and all, but you really need to stop. Like now.

Why were we in Mitchell's top 3. Out of all the schools that guy could go to, why were we in his top 3?

yes, our program has been pretty good. But we got in Tony's top 3 because of Coach Jones. And so is it absurd to think that one of the reasons why Mitchell liked JJ is becuase he's African-American? umm..... NO!

• Downvote 2

Why were we in Mitchell's top 3. Out of all the schools that guy could go to, why were we in his top 3?

yes, our program has been pretty good. But we got in Tony's top 3 because of Coach Jones. And so is it absurd to think that one of the reasons why Mitchell liked JJ is becuase he's African-American? umm..... NO!

Just drop it.

• Upvote 1