UP-SIDE?

agw0038

Im just having a really hard time finding any true up-side to hiring Fran Fraschilla. I mean, wouldnt this just be a celebrity hire? He just has a famous name, right? I looked at his record.... what did he really do? what is he known for?

Do you guys really think Tony, Chris, Jordan, and the rest of the team would like this dude?

Trying to sound as non-offensive as possible, I truly believe an African-American coach would suit this team better. I think that was one of the best things JJ had going for him, especially when it came trying to recruit out of DISD. Johhny was good at taming knuckle-heads who had the talent to play at the top D-1 schools in Texas but for whatever reason couldnt handle it. (behavior,grades, lack of father-figure,etc.)

Adminttedly, I am quite ignorant as to who this Fraschilla really is. I have read his bio but i need something else. That alone does not get me excited to hire this guy...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 23

Im just having a really hard time finding any true up-side to hiring Fran Fraschilla. I mean, wouldnt this just be a celebrity hire? He just has a famous name, right? I looked at his record.... what did he really do? what is he known for?

Do you guys really think Tony, Chris, Jordan, and the rest of the team would like this dude?

Trying to sound as non-offensive as possible, I truly believe an African-American coach would suit this team better. I think that was one of the best things JJ had going for him, especially when it came trying to recruit out of DISD. Johhny was good at taming knuckle-heads who had the talent to play at the top D-1 schools in Texas but for whatever reason couldnt handle it. (behavior,grades, lack of father-figure,etc.)

Adminttedly, I am quite ignorant as to who this Fraschilla really is. I have read his bio but i need something else. That alone does not get me excited to hire this guy...

A.) The whole team knows him

B.) Which African American coach out there with HC experience and WANTS to come to North Texas and has links to the Texas recruiting field do you recommend?

C.) Have you not read through the other links posted about what he has done or how every player on NT's roster knows him?

His record (176-99)

JJ's (205-162)

But yeah....we should have hired an unproven HC that had only been an Asst at Sunbelt schools and Florida A&M just because the CURRENT players know him and think of him as a brother/father.

your-ideas-are-intriguing-to-me.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1) I don't care what color he is. If he is a green martian, just win!

2) I don't care if he does or doesn't keep a stretch of road clean with a sign that bears his name, just win!

3) Finally, so what if he is fiery, we are not hiring a choir director.

Win by doing things right, but Just Win!!

• Upvote 1

1) I don't care what color he is. If he is a green martian, just win!

2) I don't care if he does or doesn't keep a stretch of road clean with a sign that bears his name, just win!

3) Finally, so what if he is fiery, we are not hiring a choir director.

Win by doing things right, but Just Win!!

Are we talking Kelly green, Forrest green or 70's mean green?

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 2

First off,

as i stated before. My goal with this post was definitely not to offend anyone.

But i completely disagree with you guys. I think race does have something to do with it particularly with the team we have now. If Fran knows the team and can get these guys to stay and play for him (if he were hired) than so be it. But these guys, particularly Jones, Williams, and Mitchell, came here because JJ was here. Johnny Jones is an extremely good role-model period. Him being a man of color is a plus.

Why do think Jones, Williams,and Mitchell came here? Obviously, Tony's story is a little different, but CJ and JW had options too. They could have easily gone to SMU,TCU,UH,etc. and played in better conferences. I believe half the reason they came here is because the head coach at UNT was a strong-willed, upstanding, African-American male(the only African-American coach in the metroplex before Johnson went to TCU). I went to several practices in my time at UNT and I can tell you first hand, any player who has ever come to this program with an attitude that they were already the "stuff" and didn't need coaching (KD,Wooden,Harold Edwards, ect) JJ whipped them into shape real quick.

Players respect and are attracted to that kind of coach and program.

I agree that UNT may have trouble attracting African-American coaches with HC experience that fit those qualities, but that is definitely what they should be looking for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

First off,

But i completely disagree with you guys. I think race does have something to do with it particularly with the team we have now. If Fran knows the team and can get these guys to stay and play for him (if he were hired) than so be it. But these guys, particularly Jones, Williams, and Mitchell, came here because JJ was here. Johnny Jones is an extremely good role-model period. Him being a man of color is a plus.

Why do think Jones, Williams,and Mitchell came here? Obviously, Tony's story is a little different, but CJ and JW had options too. They could have easily gone to SMU,TCU,UH,etc. and played in better conferences. I believe half the reason they came here is because the head coach at UNT was a strong-willed, upstanding, African-American male(the only African-American coach in the metroplex before Johnson went to TCU). I went to several practices in my time at UNT and I can tell you first hand, any player who has ever come to this program with an attitude that they were already the "stuff" and didn't need coaching (KD,Wooden,Harold Edwards, ect) JJ whipped them into shape real quick.

I agree that UNT may have trouble attracting African-American coaches with HC experience that fit those qualities, but that is definitely what they should be looking for.

We're all black friends

• Upvote 6

First off,

I hate to refer to what I said before JJ ever left, but when we were talking about potential replacements --- I mentioned Fran BECAUSE of his DFW connections.

(Last post on that page)

I believe I was the first to throw his name out.

Edited by CMJ