ESPN Blog: Fran strong candidate for UNT job

KoldBeer

Posted Image

ESPN analyst and former college head coach Fran Fraschilla has emerged as a strong candidate for the vacant head coaching job at North Texas, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Fraschilla and Marquette associate coach Tony Benford interviewed last week to replace Johnny Jones, who left to be the head coach at LSU.

Fraschilla, who has been involved in other jobs since he left coaching, including the College of Charleston this spring, would accept the North Texas job if offered, according to a source.

more at:

http://espn.go.com/m...een-sources-say

Click here to view the article

• Upvote 4

A couple of really interesting lines from story:

* Multiple sources said Jones has endorsed Fraschilla for the job.

* North Texas is on the verge of possibly moving to Conference USA, according to multiple sources.

* Mitchell could still declare for the NBA draft by Sunday's deadline. Sources said Mitchell is waiting to see who gets the head coaching job before making a decision.

• Upvote 4

A couple of really interesting lines from story:

* Multiple sources said Jones has endorsed Fraschilla for the job.

* North Texas is on the verge of possibly moving to Conference USA, according to multiple sources.

* Mitchell could still declare for the NBA draft by Sunday's deadline. Sources said Mitchell is waiting to see who gets the head coaching job before making a decision.

I though the same thing Kold -- that was a power packed article by Katz if you are a North Texas fan!

I though the same thing Kold -- that was a power packed article by Katz if you are a North Texas fan!

It's extra nice since Katz wrote it. He's one of the better national basketball guys.

Hopefully, we get this wrapped up in a couple days. I think Fran would be able to keep all of the current team and he should do well with recruiting future classes.

• Upvote 2

It's extra nice since Katz wrote it. He's one of the better best national basketball guys.

Hopefully, we get this wrapped up in a couple days. I think Fran would be able to keep all of the current team and he should do well with recruiting future classes.

Fixed!

I can't think of a better national basketball writer out there.

• Upvote 2

Is there a specific reason Fraschilla has been out of the coaching game for a decade?

He's had some chances to get back in, but he wanted to spend time with his family. Plus, he had a really nice job at ESPN. He did travel a lot for ESPN but not near as much as a coach. He could spend almost all of the off season with his family. Plus he didn't want to relocate them from Highland Park.

• Upvote 1

I'd be more than fine with this hire. Strong credentials, HC experience...been there done that kind of guy who can take a program and get it going...or keep it going. Local...home in Highland Park...and obviously wants to get back in coaching as the time seems to be right...as is the job opportunity it would seem. Let's get this done and get on with the NCAA tournament bid for next season.....

• Upvote 1

If Brown doesn't work out so well and takes off after a year or two, and smu doesn't end up with an ironclad "coach in waiting", could we possibly be in for a defection after Fran does well here over the next couple of years? Just playing the Devil's advocate since he lives a stones throw from the Devil.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Coach Fran's twitter account has been very quiet the past couple of days I've noticed which is unusual for him. Maybe he is busy signing contracts...

Did his twitter account go silent about the same time the "Twitter is Effing Stupid" thread started?

• Upvote 4

This isn't the Godfather, no one at SMUt is going to put a gun to his head and assure him his signature or his brains will be on it. He seems smart enough to stay out of that coaching graveyard.

The sad thing is that Larry Brown more than likely will literally die there.

• Upvote 3

The CUSA and Fran comments are a breath of fresh air after STAAR review sessions all day with my 8th graders...day just got much more exciting!

dude, if they don't know it by now...today was a nice, relaxing day for me in third grade...plenty of time for internet searches!!!

• Upvote 1

dude, if they don't know it by now...today was a nice, relaxing day for me in third grade...plenty of time for internet searches!!!

My third grader (and straight A student) told me last night that she didn't feel prepared enough. She wanted to revisit 3 dimensional shapes. I think she is over thinking it.