TU's Clarkson asks for scholarship release

Harry

OK, then under this logic let's see no one here compalin if Mitchell, Williams or Jones decides to leave UNT. Just sayin.....it's a two-way street after all you say. In reality I get that, and I think the NCAA needs to seriously look at some of the inane and ridiculus "rules" it has relating to athlete transfers, scholarships, donors, etc., etc.

I know I am "old school" when it comes to the idea of contracts and how one should view a signed contract...even if a better deal comes along after the fact or during the term of that contract...but, even so, the NCAA's rules do seem a bit inane when it comes to this sort of thing and pretty one-sided...and not in the athletes favor I might add.

I agree to the point that the NCAA needs to look at the rule. As a kid, if the coach who recruited you - and your parents, and your high school coach, etc. - decides to jump to another job or is fired, you are stuck in a different situation than you were led to believe would be in place.

And, it's not just the head coach. If you've been recruited by a certain assistant and he leaves, or you have a position coach and he leaves, you're in a different situation than before.

Then, you add on top of that the fact that the scholarships are year-to-year and not four-year, and you've got that on your mind as well.

Basically, the kids have a four or five year window, whereas the coaches have a career. If coaches can move about as freely as they do, and schools can fire them, etc., these student athletes should be able to do so as well.

And, personally, I don't think the kids should have to sit for a year. A coach doesn't have to sit out a year if he decides to take a job with another school.

Think about this. The reason you hire a new coach is that you want to make your program more competitive. Okay, fine. But, you've got these coaches and athletic departments saying to the kids, "We'll let you go, but not to these schools because we don't want them to be more competitive." That's hypocritical. They don't do the same thing to coaches.

If they are going to have year-to-year scholarships, they should let kids move about as freely as the coaches move. There is no repercussion in participation to a coach for him leaving, the kids should have the same freedom.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2

I heard about this rule on the Ticket the other day.

If a player wants to transfer, the school can grant him the transfer but can also state which schools he can't transfer to. I think the example used was a player at Wisconsin. He wants to transfer and he got a list of schools he cannot transfer to: All of the Big 10, Iowa State, all of the ACC and a few others I can not remember right off. Plus the player has to sit for a season after transfer.

However, if a coach resigns there is no such restriction. The coach can go to any program who is willing to pay the money.

Kind of a double standard.

• 3 weeks later...