Survival in the Premier League

There have been some amazing examples of surviving relegation the past couple of years (West Brom comes to mind) but Wigan beating Manchester United and Arsenal in back to back games might be the greatest escape of all.

Good for Martinez, liked him during the World Cup coverage.

damn shocking and impressive. i'd be cool to have a relegation system in american sports leagues...some teams don't deserve to be in the league they are in and it would make the entire year exciting!

i hope qpr stays up...then all three promoted stay for the first time in over a decade

Sigh...kudos to Wigan, I suppose, they hit two picture-perfect counters, survived a stretched first half and then kept what felt like 14 men behind the ball...though they were real shits yesterday for stalling over every set piece and staying on the ground far too long after each foul to waste time.

Wigan is far from clear...they go to Craven Cottage next for a hot Fulham and have to host a Newcastle club hot for a Champion's League spot subsequently...but wins at Anfield and Emirates and home to Man U with your back against the lower 3 is damned impressive.

Next thing I need to understand- all the stinking random cups and trophies.

In English soccer you essentially need to be familiar with 5 competitions. The Premier League (and the lower divisions as well) title is figured over the course of the entire season...no playoffs, top points after 38 games (2 each against all 19 other clubs) wins the Barclay's trophy.

There are then 2 domestic trophies, the Carling Cup and the FA Cup, whose winner is decided throughout the year in a tournament format...Carling in the Fall, FA in the Spring. Both are open to clubs across multiple levels of English soccer, the Carling to the top 4 divisions (Premier League, League Championship, League One and League Two) the FA to every league and non-league English club. I'd suggest the Wiki pages for a detailed breakdown of how matches are determined.

Finally there are two all-Europe competitions...the Europa League and the highly-coveted Champion's League. How the competitors in each varies from country to country, but in England the top 3 clubs at the end of the Premier season gain automatic acceptance into the Champion's League, with the 4th place club earning a chance at a two-leg play-in tie. In the end, 32 clubs from all over Europe will officially qualify for the Champion's League each year and will play a group stage similar to what takes place in the World Cup.

The Europa league snaps up the best of the rest, as well as taking those clubs eventually knocked out in the group stage of the Champion's League.

There are a few others...Community Shield, World Club Cup...but the previous 5 are the one's I'd concern myself with. Have you taken a club or just watching for the hell of it?

I'm just now getting into the English Premier league.

I agree- the relegation system is awesome.

Next thing I need to understand- all the stinking random cups and trophies.

if can get the fox soccer channel and fox soccer plus, do it! the plus shows alot of championship matches, rugby, ligue 1 (france), scottish premier, epl...

the regular fox soccer focuses on epl and serie a (italy)...usually 3-4 live games a weekend, with some thrown in during the week. later in the day, they will show replays of other matches. this channel also shows australian rules football...WHICH IS FABULOUS!!!

There have been some amazing examples of surviving relegation the past couple of years (West Brom comes to mind) but Wigan beating Manchester United and Arsenal in back to back games might be the greatest escape of all.

Good for Martinez, liked him during the World Cup coverage.

Indeed. I recall when Coventry City was the team that always beat off regulation at the end...they even wrote a book about it...I think the Title was "Staying Up" or something like that. I have the book...good read. However, once Coventry City was relegated, they have not made it back...yet! What West Brom did in these back to back wins is the stuff of legend!

GREATNESS INDEED on the pitch.

Indeed. I recall when Coventry City was the team that always beat off regulation at the end...they even wrote a book about it...I think the Title was "Staying Up" or something like that. I have the book...good read. However, once Coventry City was relegated, they have not made it back...yet! What West Brom did in these back to back wins is the stuff of legend!

GREATNESS INDEED on the pitch.

A. It was Wigan Athletic.

B. Of all the people on here to be talking about "beating off" and "staying up", you certainly weren't the first that would've leaped to mind.

• Upvote 1

In English soccer you essentially need to be familiar with 5 competitions. The Premier League (and the lower divisions as well) title is figured over the course of the entire season...no playoffs, top points after 38 games (2 each against all 19 other clubs) wins the Barclay's trophy.

There are then 2 domestic trophies, the Carling Cup and the FA Cup, whose winner is decided throughout the year in a tournament format...Carling in the Fall, FA in the Spring. Both are open to clubs across multiple levels of English soccer, the Carling to the top 4 divisions (Premier League, League Championship, League One and League Two) the FA to every league and non-league English club. I'd suggest the Wiki pages for a detailed breakdown of how matches are determined.

Finally there are two all-Europe competitions...the Europa League and the highly-coveted Champion's League. How the competitors in each varies from country to country, but in England the top 3 clubs at the end of the Premier season gain automatic acceptance into the Champion's League, with the 4th place club earning a chance at a two-leg play-in tie. In the end, 32 clubs from all over Europe will officially qualify for the Champion's League each year and will play a group stage similar to what takes place in the World Cup.

The Europa league snaps up the best of the rest, as well as taking those clubs eventually knocked out in the group stage of the Champion's League.

There are a few others...Community Shield, World Club Cup...but the previous 5 are the one's I'd concern myself with. Have you taken a club or just watching for the hell of it?

When Hicks owned the Rangers, and Stars- he also owned Liverpool. Additionally, my best friend is super into Liverpool. So I've taken quite the liking to them and their history.

FYI, Hicks is the same uality owner in England as he is in America from what I've learned.

A. It was Wigan Athletic.

B. Of all the people on here to be talking about "beating off" and "staying up", you certainly weren't the first that would've leaped to mind.

Sorry.....I follow Coventry City and I have a copy of the book. Know some former Coventry City Youth players and have been to Coventry City and the football grounds more than once. It was a book about Coventry City and the trials and tribulations they had over the years just barely staying "up"!

\Wigan has definitely had its own share of "staying up" problems and challenges over the years...I'll definitely give you that, but this was all about Coventry City...go on Amazon.com or some other site and you can probably find the book I am referring to...if you want I can provide title, author and publisher. Really good read....give it a go if you want...I think any fan of the beautiful game would enjoy it (if it's still in print that is...Ha!)

• Upvote 2

When Hicks owned the Rangers, and Stars- he also owned Liverpool. Additionally, my best friend is super into Liverpool. So I've taken quite the liking to them and their history.

FYI, Hicks is the same uality owner in England as he is in America from what I've learned.

liverpool can suck it...

• Upvote 1

Liverpool is the perfect example of the importance of of domestic trophies through-out the Premier season. Liverpool will finish disappointingly in the middle of the Premier League table...a place by itself that would not qualify them for either European competition next term. However Liverpool has already won the Carling Cup (barely...tossers...) which grants them Europa League qualification...and they'll have a chance to advance directly to the Europa League group stage if they beat Chelsea Mar 5th in the FA Cup final, thus avoiding a good handful of matches likely in some Latvian or Czech town of 500 with only one dirt road leading to it. Somehow after playing very mediocre football much of the season, your team has a good chance at a domestic double and the added funds from playing in Europe.

Who do you follow? Man U?

man u can suck it as well! i'm a brighton fan..just moved to the championship this season...had a chance to make the playoffs to be promoted again, but have sucked it up down the stretch.

i will watch any match on tv, but don't follow any current premier team. i only root against the big four...

• Upvote 1

The European Football scene is extremely interesting.

Way more tournaments, player movement, fan loyalty, etc.

I wish I had time to watch more matches. I've only seen three or four Liverpool games live. But like you, I will watch any match that is on. I watched the Barcelona game this weekend for example.

THOR...pretty impressive that your side finished top half a season after promotion (though, I guess Southhampton likely earning promotion in consecutive seasons is a bit more impressive). Also impressive is your commitment to following a lower division club...it can not be easy finding ways to watch their matches.

Kaleb...I don't know what is available near you, but there is bound to be a Liverpool supporters group near you who meet for the matches at a local bar or some-such...that is without question the best way to follow your club...group motivation, especially for those 7am matches. Luckily for me, our local Arsenal group meets at a bar a five minute walk from my house and my newest roommate is the president of the group so I'll always have a wake-up call.

Also:

Fox Sports to show 10 matches of Relegation Sunday in US

Fox and ESPN will be broadcasting all of the final day of the Premiership...it should be a hell of a run-in...the top two are all but decided (and their order is unlikely to change) but there are four clubs vying for 3rd and the final automatic spot in Champion's League. On the opposite end, there are 6 clubs in legitimate danger of relegation.

SOUTHHAMPTON'S RUN IS FABULOUS!! i thought brighton was going to do the same. i watch the matches on fox soccer plus...they usually have two a week or so. it's easier to find champpionship games than it is aussie football! that takes some major dedication...2 am kickoffs on fox soccer but so worth it!

following brighton is a lot like following north texas...they aren't the best right now, but they are working their tails off to improve their surroundings and affiliations! brighton just opened a new stadium this year as well...so they are similar to me!

Edited by THOR

liverpool can suck it...

No doubt. Go Toffees.

Although in all honesty, I just don't get into any European team that much. Sorry, but unless I can attend matches regularly, its just reality TV to me. I have no connection or any deep reason to cheer for or against any club. Its amazing to me how much some of my friends are so diehard for Chelsea or Arsenal or whoever, having never attended a match.

No doubt. Go Toffees.

Although in all honesty, I just don't get into any European team that much. Sorry, but unless I can attend matches regularly, its just reality TV to me. I have no connection or any deep reason to cheer for or against any club. Its amazing to me how much some of my friends are so diehard for Chelsea or Arsenal or whoever, having never attended a match.

MY good buddy went to watch a Liverpool match at Anfield. He said it was amazing. If I ever make it across to England- that's where I'll be going.

I root against ManU but I hate Liverpool. Hate.

If Dempsay goes to Liverpool I'll......I'll.....I don't know what I'll do but I'll be miserable.

I'm a Newcastle fan and needless to say I'm very happy for the first time in a long time. Soft spot for fulham as well.

I root against ManU but I hate Liverpool. Hate.

If Dempsay goes to Liverpool I'll......I'll.....I don't know what I'll do but I'll be miserable.

I'm a Newcastle fan and needless to say I'm very happy for the first time in a long time. Soft spot for fulham as well.

Agree on Dempsey...please, please don't go to Liverpool...I either want him at Arsenal or to leave England for the continent, namely because I really want a Dempsey club kit.

I'll be pulling hard for Newcastle to finish in fourth...namely I want to see Tottenham go from securely in third position to out of Champion's League in the course of a month...but also since your side sold Joey Barton I think Newcastle and Fulham are the only two Premier League sides where I don't hate a single player.

Also, if you guys sold Demba Ba to PSG this Summer you'd have the funds to buy Dempsey and I think he'd be a fine fit for Toon...Cisse and either Best or Ameobi up front...Dempsey at CF in front some rotation of Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Gutierrez...that's a hell of a top 6.

Agree on Dempsey...please, please don't go to Liverpool...I either want him at Arsenal or to leave England for the continent, namely because I really want a Dempsey club kit.

I'll be pulling hard for Newcastle to finish in fourth...namely I want to see Tottenham go from securely in third position to out of Champion's League in the course of a month...but also since your side sold Joey Barton I think Newcastle and Fulham are the only two Premier League sides where I don't hate a single player.

Also, if you guys sold Demba Ba to PSG this Summer you'd have the funds to buy Dempsey and I think he'd be a fine fit for Toon...Cisse and either Best or Ameobi up front...Dempsey at CF in front some rotation of Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Gutierrez...that's a hell of a top 6.

I can't even think about Dempsey to the Toon, my futbol pants would go insane. At this point I'm not sure what changes I want, hell I know it will be great to get Steven Taylor back next year but any messing with this chemistry scares me. I keep Ba and go with four forwards next year. I know that would stunt Best's growth but I want a full year of Ba/Cisse up front.

I could handle Deuce to Arsenal, to me that is a much better fit than Liverpool. But I'll stick with my USA Dempsey kit.

• Upvote 1

I can't even think about Dempsey to the Toon, my futbol pants would go insane. At this point I'm not sure what changes I want, hell I know it will be great to get Steven Taylor back next year but any messing with this chemistry scares me. I keep Ba and go with four forwards next year. I know that would stunt Best's growth but I want a full year of Ba/Cisse up front.

I could handle Deuce to Arsenal, to me that is a much better fit than Liverpool. But I'll stick with my USA Dempsey kit.

I get your thought process, but note Ba has only one goal since he returned from the Africa Nations Cup, he has shown disinterest in the sport in the past, PSG is his dream club and his stock may never be higher than it will be this Summer. Newcastle doesn't have unlimited resources by any stretch...PSG does and will over-pay...you'd get more for Ba than it would take to bring in Dempsey, so the surplus could be used to sure up other areas. Cisse could shoulder the load as a lead striker...and then having both Ameobi's, Best and maybe see if Nile Ranger is read for top flight is plenty up front...especially considering Dempsey could play up front in a pinch.

It makes more sense for Newcastle than it does Arsenal, unfortunately...we've all but bought Lukas Podolski (who I love), we'll have Wilshere back next season...throw in a year of development for Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain, a revived Tomas Rosicky and the consistent Mikel Arteta and Alex Song I just don't know where Dempsey would fit in. I'd rather we sure up at the back with a guy like Yann m'Vila or Jan Vertonghen.

God, I love soccer talk.

I get your thought process, but note Ba has only one goal since he returned from the Africa Nations Cup, he has shown disinterest in the sport in the past, PSG is his dream club and his stock may never be higher than it will be this Summer. Newcastle doesn't have unlimited resources by any stretch...PSG does and will over-pay...you'd get more for Ba than it would take to bring in Dempsey, so the surplus could be used to sure up other areas. Cisse could shoulder the load as a lead striker...and then having both Ameobi's, Best and maybe see if Nile Ranger is read for top flight is plenty up front...especially considering Dempsey could play up front in a pinch.

It makes more sense for Newcastle than it does Arsenal, unfortunately...we've all but bought Lukas Podolski (who I love), we'll have Wilshere back next season...throw in a year of development for Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain, a revived Tomas Rosicky and the consistent Mikel Arteta and Alex Song I just don't know where Dempsey would fit in. I'd rather we sure up at the back with a guy like Yann m'Vila or Jan Vertonghen.

God, I love soccer talk.

I'm calling BS. We all know hippies (especially soccer loving ones) don't believe in God! :lol:

I started following Fulham because all of the Americans they had on the roster. Even if Clint leaves I will still follow them, though I doubt I will be as interested unless/until they get more Americans. I'm thinking Clint stays in England if he moves this summer, and as a fan if his club and country I am torn about him going anywhere. I'm not sure how much more he could improve at this point, even if he was playing in the CL regularly.