UNT’s Lincoln thrust into spotlight in spring

Harry

Spring is often a time of opportunity in college football for players who are either unproven or adjusting to a new role.

Alexander Lincoln qualifies on both accounts heading into his sophomore season at North Texas.

Lincoln shifted from defensive end, where he starred in high school, to defensive tackle during two-a-days last fall and played only sparingly as a freshman.

Those humble beginnings barely prepared him for the challenge — and the opportunity — that has come his way this spring at UNT, which went through its third scrimmage of spring practice on Saturday morning at Apogee Stadium.

Lincoln spent most of that workout playing with the Mean Green’s first-team defense that is short a couple of key players who are out with injuries.

The former Cibolo Steele standout took advantage of that opportunity and continued to elevate his standing with the Mean Green heading into next season. Lincoln held up against an experienced UNT offensive line and made a few stops on a day UNT’s defense dominated a workout that lasted approximately 100 plays.

“He has improved a lot,” linebacker Jeremy Phillips, one of the leaders of UNT’s defense, said of Lincoln. “We are a little short on the D-line right now. He is stepping up and making plays.”

read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20120414-college-football-unts-lincoln-thrust-into-spotlight-in-spring.ece

I'm starting to get more concerned about the d line than I am about the secondary. I think Boutwell has just about reached his max weight at 260 and that's unfortunate because not many players go as hard as he does. He will always be at a 30-40 pound disadvantage, The fact that we've had to convert two ends(Orr & Lincoln) doesn't bode well for the future. Looking at the roster, I can see why they did it. Looks like we could be a year off from having the mean green defense we want to see out there, even though the LB's should be in the top 3 in the sun belt, and probably the most deep in the conference.

91 Orr, Austin DT 6-4 245 RFr. Seabrook, TX (Clear Lake HS)

97 Abbe, Richard DT 6-4 319 Jr. Lubbock, TX (Monterey HS)

90 Boutwell, Ryan DT 6-3 261 Jr. China Spring, TX (China Spring HS)

96 Cantly, Tevinn DT 6-4 311 Sr. Arlington, TX (Lamar HS)

58 Ladner, Michael DT 5-11 280 Jr. Blue Ridge, TX (Blue Ridge HS)

95 Lincoln, Alex DT 6-2 249 So. Cibolo, TX (Steele HS)

Hopefully Abbe will be able to step up, we're not going to last long with 250 pound tackles.

I'm starting to get more concerned about the d line than I am about the secondary. I think Boutwell has just about reached his max weight at 260 and that's unfortunate because not many players go as hard as he does. He will always be at a 30-40 pound disadvantage, The fact that we've had to convert two ends(Orr & Lincoln) doesn't bode well for the future. Looking at the roster, I can see why they did it. Looks like we could be a year off from having the mean green defense we want to see out there, even though the LB's should be in the top 3 in the sun belt, and probably the most deep in the conference.

91 Orr, Austin DT 6-4 245 RFr. Seabrook, TX (Clear Lake HS)

97 Abbe, Richard DT 6-4 319 Jr. Lubbock, TX (Monterey HS)

90 Boutwell, Ryan DT 6-3 261 Jr. China Spring, TX (China Spring HS)

96 Cantly, Tevinn DT 6-4 311 Sr. Arlington, TX (Lamar HS)

58 Ladner, Michael DT 5-11 280 Jr. Blue Ridge, TX (Blue Ridge HS)

95 Lincoln, Alex DT 6-2 249 So. Cibolo, TX (Steele HS)

Hopefully Abbe will be able to step up, we're not going to last long with 250 pound tackles.

There will be no off year for the the Mean Green defensive line. There are three DTs that have a full year of experience under their belts plus two DEs that have two full seasons of experience. Richard has already stepped up. AND you had a 250 lb DT play 95% of the defensive downs last season.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 1

Give me a line full of Boutwells and I'll go to battle any day of the week. Many teams take DE's and make them DT's, so let's see how this plays out before we start to panic. Orr and Lincoln could turn in to great DT's, and if the staff was that concerned they could always move Micah Thompson back from OT.

Give me a line full of Boutwells and I'll go to battle any day of the week. Many teams take DE's and make them DT's, so let's see how this plays out before we start to panic. Orr and Lincoln could turn in to great DT's, and if the staff was that concerned they could always move Micah Thompson back from OT.

I saw what Boutwell was able to do this past season as a sophmore, and I don't expect anything less than an all conference player by the time he's a senior. A new DC + 4 new starters in secondary is going to put even more pressure on the d line this season. They came up with 27.5 sacks this past season, and we'll need an amount similar from them in 2012. I have no doubt we'll be improved here with a full year under their belts, but still slightly more concerned about the defense than the offense, I guess I should reserve judgement until the spring game.