quote from article in Houston Chronicle

kingwoodgreen

There was an article last week in the Houston Chronicle regarding Kyle Field renovation. The quote from that article that got my attention was from their President. "Our football weekends will provide us with a key vehicle for introducing people around the couontry to Texas A&M."

I like this relection on how sports can enhance and promote an institution. It seems as if our school finally gets the understanding of this type of marketing and alumni retention. To me this is what we have been missing for some time. RV gets it but we needed a president to not only understand this but get on board and make this a catch up priority. I understand sports should not be a priority for a college but we are making up for years of leadership that discounted a philosophy that many other schools embraced. And thus we were stuck in limbo for quite a while. While some damage has been done we are at least coming out of the cave. The few of us old guys that have still hung around with interest see the hope that is out there for us. The new stadium was huge. My experiance at the Indiana game with my old buddies was priceless. Great friends, tailgatiang in the shade of a new stadium and playing (and beating) a big 10 team. I too was disappointed in attendance. I would have never thought we would not have sold out the Houston game. I am still bothered by that but have hope that a plan to fill the stadium will come and a change in conferance will assist us in more regional rivalries and interest. People left our game day experiance (old alums or visitors) impressed with what we have done at North Texas. We need to continue to steam roll ahead and keep introducing people around the county to The University of North Texas.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

There was an article last week in the Houston Chronicle regarding Kyle Field renovation. The quote from that article that got my attention was from their President. "Our football weekends will provide us with a key vehicle for introducing people around the couontry to Texas A&M."

I like this relection on how sports can enhance and promote an institution. It seems as if our school finally gets the understanding of this type of marketing and alumni retention. To me this is what we have been missing for some time. RV gets it but we needed a president to not only understand this but get on board and make this a catch up priority. I understand sports should not be a priority for a college but we are making up for years of leadership that discounted a philosophy that many other schools embraced. And thus we were stuck in limbo for quite a while. While some damage has been done we are at least coming out of the cave. The few of us old guys that have still hung around with interest see the hope that is out there for us. The new stadium was huge. My experiance at the Indiana game with my old buddies was priceless. Great friends, tailgatiang in the shade of a new stadium and playing (and beating) a big 10 team. I too was disappointed in attendance. I would have never thought we would not have sold out the Houston game. I am still bothered by that but have hope that a plan to fill the stadium will come and a change in conferance will assist us in more regional rivalries and interest. People left our game day experiance (old alums or visitors) impressed with what we have done at North Texas. We need to continue to steam roll ahead and keep introducing people around the county to The University of North Texas.

Ditto...

The Apogee Experience will grow right along with our school and our school's locations growth. We would have to be extremely poor marketeers in Denton for it not to.

My own personal experience at Apogee was almost surreal. Nothing that happened at Fouts Field since my first game as a student there in September of 1973 could compare to the full package Game Day experience at Apogee Stadium. Quite frankly...............I was completely blown away with the games I was able to attend last season. Like many of you I also predicted Apogee's accoustics would be one of the first things we would all notice. (Seems Texas A& M's new coach but then UH Coog's HFC Kevin Sumlin noticed and commented on it, too).:)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

While I agree with it you still have to create a winning tradition. As great as gameday atmosphere and tailgating is...if you're constantly losing and/or getting your ass handed to you at home and fail to make bowl games people will get turned off and not come to our games. I just think it's a reality for most including the really really good fans and I don't blame those people either.