Johnny Jones made UNT job so much better

Harry

Johnny Jones made 20-win seasons an expectation at North Texas, a program that had a grand total of 20 wins in four seasons before his arrival in Denton.

That’s how the former LSU point guard and assistant coach earned his dream job at his alma mater, which hired Jones to replace new TCU coach Trent Johnson.

That’s also why North Texas has never been a more attractive job for a head coach. Athletic director Rick Villarreal, who hired Jones about two weeks into his UNT tenure, should have a pretty impressive pool of candidates in his search to find an experienced head coach that can keep the Mean Green program’s momentum going.

“You probably need somebody that you’re not taking a chance he’s pulling the trigger for the first time,” Villarreal said. “That’s my preference. As a program, we’re at that point.”

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4677888/johnny-jones-made-unt-job-so-much-better

From RV's quote it sure looks like he's going to go after the best coach available. Not just our top assistant

So if our players disagree, if they follow the men that brought them here, is the next guy still the "best coach available?" I think people suffer under the delusion that the next guy will just pull in talent comparable to what we have on this roster right now. That the next guy will have those AAU ties in the Dallas market. That Tony, who needs only improve his game for a year SOMEWHERE, will choose to do so at NT still...especially if the other kids jump ship. Anyone think a team in France, China, the Netherlands, etc wouldn't take on a potential lottery pick for a year?

I get that we want someone with "coaching skins". And I get that the Shanice Stephense and ESPECIALLY the Dodge debacle have caused NT to be weary of the unproven coach. But if the nucleus of this roster leaves then just how attractive is this job now?

The old adage "be careful what you wish for" couldn't be truer right now. NT fans loved to disparage what Johnny brought to the table. Let's just hope change suits us as well as some assumed.

• Upvote 4

So if our players disagree, if they follow the men that brought them here, is the next guy still the "best coach available?" I think people suffer under the delusion that the next guy will just pull in talent comparable to what we have on this roster right now. That the next guy will have those AAU ties in the Dallas market. That Tony, who needs only improve his game for a year SOMEWHERE, will choose to do so at NT still...especially if the other kids jump ship. Anyone think a team in France, China, the Netherlands, etc wouldn't take on a potential lottery pick for a year?

I get that we want someone with "coaching skins". And I get that the Shanice Stephense and ESPECIALLY the Dodge debacle have caused NT to be weary of the unproven coach. But if the nucleus of this roster leaves then just how attractive is this job now?

The old adage "be careful what you wish for" couldn't be truer right now. NT fans loved to disparage what Johnny brought to the table. Let's just hope change suits us as well as some assumed.

Yup. Agree 100%

I hope we get some one in here that can satisfy the players and coach. I don't see any reason NT can not do that. If nothing else, JJ has made this a much more attractive job.

As far as anyone assuming NT can get the perfect coach in these circumstances, with NT's hiring record in all major sports it would seem highly improbable. As far as pulling in egual talent, I am not sure Jones could do that if he had stayed, particularly with all the credit that Forrest has been given for the recruiting.

• Upvote 1

Well, bases on what Tony's mom had to say, he's not going anywhere. Sorry, but I like to think our program is bigger than a couple of people. I love what Coach Jones did for us, but the right hire will keep us on the right track.

• Upvote 4