Brock Berglund, Top QB transfer prospect, visits UNT

Brett Vito

Sporting News

"According to CFT, Berglund attended a UNT practice on Friday and FIU could be on his itinerary as well. A source told CFT that the player’s parents, who live in Colorado, prefer UNT because it’s closer to home."

Brock was ranked 15th in the nation out of high school (among QBs on Rivals)

About how his release went down

Scotty who?

Could the issue with Young have been the fact that he would only have one year of eligibility available after Thompson graduates, and we didn't see the need to tie up a scholarship on a player that could ride the bench for a year and not be guaranteed to start the other?

This young man will have much more eligibility left after DT graduates.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

Two things that stick out to me about this kid so far, and keep in mind these are his junior highlights, are that he needs to keep the ball under control when running and not in one hand out wildly, and that he could potentially blow up the entire sun belt. Maybe an overreaction, but he appears to have a very high potential.

One negative is as soon as you google his name there's articles about an assault, missing practices, and some pretty offputting quotes. However, I'm not judging the kid, and would love to have him here, hopefully he'll use the way the KU media portrayed him as ammo and blow up the belt in green.

• Upvote 1

Key word there in his Rivals profile is "dual-threat".

If he shows up, he could be coach Chico's next B.J. Daniels... or could he be coach Mac's next Seneca Wallace? Bowl games, here we come!

Or, could he be the next Riley? Dwight Dasher?

We know Scotty can at least wing it all over the field.

Maybe he is the first BJ Wallace or Seneca Daniels.

Sporting News

"According to CFT, Berglund attended a UNT practice on Friday and FIU could be on his itinerary as well. A source told CFT that the player’s parents, who live in Colorado, prefer UNT because it’s closer to home."

Brock was ranked 15th in the nation out of high school (among QBs on Rivals)

About how his release went down

This, I think, is the lead here. Why would he chose these two schools? Very different styles. Very far apart. Both in the Sun Belt conference... For now. :ph34r:

• Upvote 2

Couple of things of note:

It was his brother Brant that talked about being at practice today. Brother is a high-school junior, plays hoops, hockey and XC.

Twitter page had a picture from March 30 of the FIU spring game.

Good signs:

Brock brought the family for the visit.

I like that he visited us second (hopefully last).

If facilities have anything to do with it, I think we have a chance.

I hope we can welcome the Berglund's to the family soon!

GMG

• Upvote 2

Couple of things of note:

It was his brother Brant that talked about being at practice today. Brother is a high-school junior, plays hoops, hockey and XC.

Twitter page had a picture from March 30 of the FIU spring game.

Good signs:

Brock brought the family for the visit.

I like that he visited us second (hopefully last).

If facilities have anything to do with it, I think we have a chance.

I hope we can welcome the Berglund's to the family soon!

GMG

I agree that if he is serious about Football he will settle down somewhere like NT but obviously the Miami lifestyle has it's "appealing nature". The beach is a hard thing to dismiss and hence why even FIU with their crappy facilities is able to recruit. That being said there are a ton of distractions in Miami as well. I am not convinced that Jake Medlock is not the QB of FIU's future and will just be a sophomore this year. On top of that local favorite E.J. Hilliard from NWestern just got picked up in this last year's class. Medlock will solidify himself after this year as the QB (best option as of now) and will wind up starting (or heavily competing for it) two additional years after this one. Just sayin.

This, I think, is the lead here. Why would he chose these two schools? Very different styles. Very far apart. Both in the Sun Belt conference... For now. :ph34r:

1. This could be why Mac didn't go after Young.

2. Visiting NT and FIU, the 2 schools that are supposedly a shoe-in to the new Alliance.

Things starting to make sense, sort of.

• Upvote 1

His time at KU was very strange (I'm a fan of KU and North Texas). He graduated high school early so he could enroll in January but then never made it to Lawrence. Then we wasn't there for summer classes the next semester. And then he never showed up for the following fall semester (which should have been his first semester at KU). Only later did fans find out about the assault charges. He enrolled in some online classes at KU so I'm not sure if his eligibility clock has started (i.e. is he a freshman, sophomore, etc.). I'm not sure he ever went through any practices at KU while he was there (it would have been hard because I don't think he was ever in Lawrence). Once Weis was hired he decided to leave Kansas (which wasn't a surprise since KU got several quarterbacks to transfer in). However, it was a big mess between him and Weis on getting his release from KU. Berglund had his attorney send out a press release basically saying KU was mistreating him. Obviously, I'm biased toward KU but 7 or 8 other players were granted releases without any issues.

But all that said, the kid is really talented. And a lot of the issues he had a KU could be directed toward Turner Gill. He basically let the players run that program. I think if Berglund would have played under another coach, I don't think his time at KU would have ever turned into such a circus. North Texas should be able to get good info on Berglund since Bowen is there now and there are a couple of coaches that were at KU when Berglund was there.

I think it'd be a good pickup for North Texas. I don't think Berglund ever did anything that was really bad. He just needs to grow up some and getting out of Colorado would help that a lot. I'm also betting he learned some lessons from the KU experience.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1