Swarn update

Brett Vito

You've got to fight with the soldiers that are still standing. This is where you find out how good your coaching staff is...both in developing and motivating.

Indeed...well said, Silver!

• Upvote 1

In other news:

The North Korean missle has landed and destroyed Apogee stadium, The Super Pit, the entire Mean Green village, the old Snake Pit, and the Gateway Center. Luckily Fouts was untouched and should be ready for next season.

If anybody wants to kick me in the nuts I am available most of the day. Or if you can't meet today, just send me a PM and I will kick myself in the nuts by proxy.

LOL! GMG HOF Worthy!!

In other news:

The North Korean missle has landed and destroyed Apogee stadium, The Super Pit, the entire Mean Green village, the old Snake Pit, and the Gateway Center. Luckily Fouts was untouched and should be ready for next season.

If anybody wants to kick me in the nuts I am available most of the day. Or if you can't meet today, just send me a PM and I will kick myself in the nuts by proxy.

Best post i have ever read on GMG....almost fell on the floor....GREATNESS! :lol:

In other news:

Lucky for you, that North Korean missile was targeted at your nuts.

• Upvote 1

I've been curled up in the fetal position for over three hours since I read this news. The kid never played a down for us, so we don't really know whether he'll be missed for his play; but, at minimum, we lose depth.

The freshmen defensive backs will have to prove their mettle quickly.

With the luck we have, we should change our uniforms to Charlie Brown shirts.

Lucy_and_Charlie_Brown.jpg

Don't feel too bad about this. He was still a couple years from seeing the field, if at all. The rivals system is not foolproof. Now losing Freddie Warner, THAT hurt. He was easily the best player in the secondary. We are wearing kind of thin in the secondary now. However we have 4 secondary guys coming in the fall, and I'd bet at least a couple of them get playing time. Jamal Marshall is the guy to keep an eye on. If I recall correctly, I believe he only played 2 years of high school. He's an SEC-caliber athlete(6-3, 190) who will rack up the medals at the state track meet. These are the kinda guys that UNT has the potential to hit home runs with. With some coaching, this guy has the potential to be playing on Sundays. There are currently 3 things that worry me; the secondary, the defensive line, and OL depth(our starters are great, but the drop-off to the backups is ridiculous).

Not particularly good news, but frankly, don't think it's that bad.

What hurts is depth. Mac said on signing day that with a full signing class we were still short 12 scholarships. That is primarily because of quitters. You can only sign 25 a season and if some of them quit every year you end up not using all your scholarships.

• Upvote 1

The quitters are beginning to add up. And, some of them are McCarney's own recruits, so it can't all be laid at the feet of Dodge's classes...anymore. Although...the attrition of the 2008 and 2009 classes aren't doing wonders for our depth this year either.

http://northtexas.scout.com/a.z?s=353&p=9&c=8&yr=2008

http://northtexas.scout.com/a.z?s=353&p=9&c=8&yr=2009

We're definitely feeling the JUCO glut-signing bite of 2009. (Kelvin Jackson DT, John Weber DE, Jeremy Bean OL, Shavod Atkinson DT, Tony Charles MLB, Ira Smith CB, Mike Outlaw WR, Jamaal Jackson WR). The hindsight on why we had to go JUCO in 2009 is just ugly...and what did we get out of it? Two or three wins for Dodge with those guys until he was fired midway through 2010.

What a freaking train wreck this thing is at times.

Can you imagine what it would be like if Apogee hadn't been built? All of this, plus still playing in a crappy stadium? Sometimes, it seems like the stadium is all we've got going for us.

My hope - again, and again, and again - is that the younger players look at the defections as their chance to step up and become stars. A man can dream. A man can dream about a day when players in a program look around and decide to be the team that pulls the program out of the ditch.

• Upvote 3

Don't feel too bad about this. He was still a couple years from seeing the field, if at all. The rivals system is not foolproof. Now losing Freddie Warner, THAT hurt. He was easily the best player in the secondary. We are wearing kind of thin in the secondary now. However we have 4 secondary guys coming in the fall, and I'd bet at least a couple of them get playing time. Jamal Marshall is the guy to keep an eye on. If I recall correctly, I believe he only played 2 years of high school. He's an SEC-caliber athlete(6-3, 190) who will rack up the medals at the state track meet. These are the kinda guys that UNT has the potential to hit home runs with. With some coaching, this guy has the potential to be playing on Sundays. There are currently 3 things that worry me; the secondary, the defensive line, and OL depth(our starters are great, but the drop-off to the backups is ridiculous).

Agreed.... Swarn wasnt gonna see the field anytime soon... Overrated athlete...Wouldnt worry to much about this one

• Upvote 2