DMN: SMU wants to talk to Jones

Brett Vito

He has already opened up his pockets, how does anyone think that NT could or even should match a 1 to 2m salary? Second, anyone who thinks SMU can't buy any coach from NT is going to be wrong almost every time. Some of you seem to have lost touch with reality.

I don't think we have to match them, we probaly don't even have to get in the ballpark. If they offer 1.5M and we can offer 800K then I think he would stay here where he is almost guaranteed to be able to coach until retirement.

He has already opened up his pockets, how does anyone think that NT could or even should match a 1 to 2m salary? Second, anyone who thinks SMU can't buy any coach from NT is going to be wrong almost every time. Some of you seem to have lost touch with reality.

Yeah...okay...I bet you totally know that. SMU can't buy JJ. Mostly because he's not going to want to go there.

• Downvote 1

Yeah...okay...I bet you totally know that. SMU can't buy JJ. Mostly because he's not going to want to go there.

I think you're being foolish if you don't think JJ wouldn't take or seriously consider a say 1 to 1.5 million dollars a year job even if it is SMU. That said I think SMU may want to talk to him but doubt they'll make him that offer.

I think you're being foolish if you don't think JJ wouldn't take or seriously consider a say 1 to 1.5 million dollars a year job even if it is SMU. That said I think SMU may want to talk to him but doubt they'll make him that offer.

If SMU gave him $1 million and we offered $800K to stay, it's a no brainer. It's being career oriented. I think a lot of you are missing the fact that it's a business. Forward thinking. If Johnny goes to LSU or SMU, his record drops, he'll never get another job above Sun Belt/WAC level and get chased out of there after 3 years even if they rebuild properly. Those schools want results now. Like it or not, Johnny probably doesn't have the ability to set up a rebuild the size LSU would require.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If SMU gave him $1 million and we offered $800K to stay, it's a no brainer. It's being career oriented. I think a lot of you are missing the fact that it's a business. Forward thinking. If Johnny goes to LSU or SMU, his record drops, he'll never get another job above Sun Belt/WAC level and get chased out of there after 3 years even if they rebuild properly. Those schools want results now. Like it or not, Johnny probably doesn't have the ability to set up a rebuild the size LSU would require.

I have no doubt that he would rebuild LSU to be a great program, I do have doubts that he could make SMU into anything other than the dumpster fire it already is.

• Upvote 2

SMU said to have offered up to $2,000,000! Wow...that's not chump change and being as close to Denton as Dallas is JJ would not have to move his family. Tough rebuilding job or not...$2,000,000 or close to that might make it much easier to take. Don't know if JJ would get that size an offer, but it says how much SMU is willing to pay to get a decent coach.

Now that Forrest has interviewed at K State we see yet another one of UNT's "can't coach coaches" getting interviewed by more so-called prominent and big-time schools. Seems to me UNT's Athletic Dept. is getting pretty good at finding good Head and assistant coaches...Aston took two assistants with her....you will recall.

While I might not like the possibility of losing JJ to LSU, SMU or any other school...nor would I care to lose Forrest nor did I care to lose Aston...it does say something about UNT coaches...and that's a good thing.

BTW...I was told by a person on that other board that some derogatory comments were made about Coach Aston! What????? I think someone might just owe Coach Aston an apology. Ha! Just couldn't resist. Too funny.... :goodjob:

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure RV would open the pockets just to spite SMU. And, honestly, nobody will take that job. It's a black hole.

Yeah, and it's a black hole with an SMU'esque lilly white surrounding.

Stay in Denton, Coach Jones, you will get much better offers than SMU and offers from schools in better conferences, too.

More telling red flag: Where have all the most recent SMU BB coaches gone to better themselves? Case closed.

GMG!

PS SMU is just not getting enough local publicity about their Big East move compared to another school in DFW that might take their place in CUSA, ya' think? And when many from CUSA

are now saying that UNT's DFW upside is much better than SMU's then the Stang's have to make their presence known by flashing the check book in all our faces--so "blankety'blanked"

typical of that school the 40 years I've been around these parts.

NOTE: Rick V, please, please, please start raising the buyout clauses for future new UNT coaches because we will lose others to the UT's and others who can and will afford any buyout clause we would have in Denton. Thanks in advance.:)

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think if it is any school but LSU, JJ will give us the option of making a competitive offer. Not saying would we be in the ballpark of $2M, but I wonder how high we could go to keep him.

we are paying him $450,000 per year, which is a lot for a school whose average attendance is only 4,00 and gets no t.v. money.i don't see us paying him more than our head football coach, who makes $500,000. just because SMU has $2million to spend doesn't mean they are going to spend all of it. Karen went to UT@Austin for $600,000, replacing a coach who was making $1.2million.bottom line;i think we are maxed out as to what we can pay.

• Upvote 2

we are paying him $450,000 per year, which is a lot for a school whose average attendance is only 4,00 and gets no t.v. money.i don't see us paying him more than our head football coach, who makes $500,000. just because SMU has $2million to spend doesn't mean they are going to spend all of it. Karen went to UT@Austin for $600,000, replacing a coach who was making $1.2million.bottom line;i think we are maxed out as to what we can pay.

I don't think we are maxed out. We may pay him more than the football coach until the football coach gets us to bowl games. Mac also makes some incentives that push his salary past $500,000. I think we can get up to 3/4 of a million if we have to and where we get the money is up to RV to get on the phone and get some donors to line up in an effort to keep our most successful men's BB coach ever.

Nope.

we are not going to pay SMU/LSU money to a coach, no matter how popular he is.he has never won a regular season conference title, won the western division once in 11 years, is 2 for 4 in tournement championship games, and 0 for 2 in NCAA's. plus his record is deceiving,as a large number of his wins are against schools i never heard of, and i am guessing his winning conference record is about 60%. i really like.J. as a person, but feel he is overated as a coach. he is not worth more money. just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

we are not going to pay SMU/LSU money to a coach, no matter how popular he is.he has never won a regular season conference title, won the western division once in 11 years, is 2 for 4 in tournement championship games, and 0 for 2 in NCAA's. plus his record is deceiving,as a large number of his wins are against schools i never heard of, and i am guessing his winning conference record is about 60%. i really like.J. as a person, but feel he is overated as a coach. he is not worth more money. just an old man's opinion.

I'm not saying what he is or isn't worth. I just know we aren't at our maximum.