DMN: SMU wants to talk to Jones

Brett Vito

If LSU decides to go in another direction , I don't think I'm going to be laughing when SMU shows up on JJ's doorstep with a briefcase full of 2 million dollars.

I wonder if they would offer him that much, and I also wonder how much we could pay him if it came down to that.

• Upvote 1

1334279791' post='636649']

I wonder if they would offer him that much, and I also wonder how much we could pay him if it came down to that.

They are getting desperate. I think 2 milllion is about the minimum they would pay anyone right now just to take the gig and save face. Would be a horrible move., but that's 5 x what we are currently paying him

• Upvote 1

1334280310' post='636653']

I think if it is any school but LSU, JJ will give us the option of making a competitive offer. Not saying would we be in the ballpark of $2M, but I wonder how high we could go to keep him.

I agree and that's a great question

• Upvote 1

I think if it is any school but LSU, JJ will give us the option of making a competitive offer. Not saying would we be in the ballpark of $2M, but I wonder how high we could go to keep him.

I've got to think we're already very close to our ceiling, if not there already. We couldn't hit nearly half of what SMU would throw at him. That's assuming SMU is actually considering throwing the same kind of money at JJ and these other candidates that they were throwing at Buzz Williams, and that might be far from the case.

• Upvote 1

I love Johnny as much as the next guy, but there is not a chance in hell he gets 2 million dollars from anyone. I'd be shocked if he even got offered 1 million. I hope like hell he stays though. But I'm preparing myself for the worst.

LSU pays their womens coach 900K if I recall correctly. I am sure they'd pay JJ at least as much as her if they do in fact hire him.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure RV would open the pockets just to spite SMU. And, honestly, nobody will take that job. It's a black hole.

He has already opened up his pockets, how does anyone think that NT could or even should match a 1 to 2m salary? Second, anyone who thinks SMU can't buy any coach from NT is going to be wrong almost every time. Some of you seem to have lost touch with reality.

• Upvote 2