LSU fan board on possible Johnny Hire

Harry

...and the story I'm hearing is that he's meeting Jamie Dixon there.

I'm also hearing they're going to go for a deal with Dixon tonight. As of right now, he IS the list. If they can't land him, somebody like Pastner could well be the next guy.

All this Johnny Jones/Tommy Amaker/Reggie Theus stuff is nothing but a smokescreen. Jones has people pushing him, but Alleva has supposedly heard the fans loud and clear and he knows that's a bad move.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/32810433/Alleva-Met-with-___-Tonight-in-Atlanta-T-P-takes-Dixon-name-off-list.aspx

I would be sorry to see Johnny leave, but it's nice to see another UNT HC get interest from the "big boys". It seems all too often we hear that "This guy can't coach", "no one in their right mind would want JJ", "he gets out coached at every turn", etc., etc. Seems to me that all the guy does is win. It would be a shame to have T Mich, Jones, J. Williams, A. Williams, etc, etc. be coming back, UNT being talked about as a top 25 team and then head off to LSU. But, if this is JJ's dream job (as the Texas job was for Coach Aston) who could blame him for heading to Baton Rouge? Not me...I would just be unhappy for the great Mean Green Nation. It is a testament to UNT that UNT coaches are now being seen as top candidates for high level coaching positions around the nation. Seems the folks that actually know what they are talking about are taking notice of the good things that are happening at UNT these days.

Here's hoping that we all see Johnny on the sidelines at the Super Pit coaching the Mean Green again next season.....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If Johny is the guy, then the LSU AD is burning a lot of jet fuel flying all over the East Coast to create a cover. There are guys posting on Tiger Droppings that say they are using flight tracker to follow one of LSU's planes.

I've been following that thread as well.

• Upvote 1

I would be sorry to see Johnny leave, but it's nice to see another UNT HC get interest from the "big boys". It seems all too often we hear that "This guy can't coach", "no one in their right mind would want JJ", "he gets out coached at every turn", etc., etc. Seems to me that all the guy does is win. It would be a shame to have T Mich, Jones, J. Williams, A. Williams, etc, etc. be coming back, UNT being talked about as a top 25 team and then head off to LSU. But, if this is JJ's dream job (as the Texas job was for Coach Aston) who could blame him for heading to Baton Rouge? Not me...I would just be unhappy for the great Mean Green Nation. It is a testament to UNT that UNT coaches are now being seen as top candidates for high level coaching positions around the nation. Seems the folks that actually know what they are talking about are taking notice of the good things that are happening at UNT these days.

Here's hoping that we all see Johnny on the sidelines at the Super Pit coaching the Mean Green again next season.....

Please stop talking like LSU is a high profile job. SEC is not that good of a basketball conference, and they have 5-6 of rebuilding and recruiting before they'll even break even. LSU is easily the worst basketball wise in the SEC as far as facilities, etc go. People don't go "Yeah, I want to go play at LSU basketball" anymore. It'd take JJ a few years to recreate that. I think people will be stunned when he either doesn't get an offer or he does and turns it down.

Say what you want and neg all you want, there's a reason why a.) Tony came back and b.) Thinks we're nuts for assuming Johnny will go anywhere.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

Say what you want and neg all you want, there's a reason why a.) Tony came back and b.) Thinks we're nuts for assuming Johnny will go anywhere.

Oh? Did Tony tell you that?

Tony wasn't talking about us on twitter, he's got bigger fish to fry than pay attention to us.

You do understand Johnny is from there right? He played there. Got to a final four there.

That's his dream job...

• Upvote 3

Please stop talking like LSU is a high profile job. SEC is not that good of a basketball conference, and they have 5-6 of rebuilding and recruiting before they'll even break even. LSU is easily the worst basketball wise in the SEC as far as facilities, etc go. People don't go "Yeah, I want to go play at LSU basketball" anymore. It'd take JJ a few years to recreate that. I think people will be stunned when he either doesn't get an offer or he does and turns it down.

KRAM can be mr. positive sometimes, but I'm pretty sure he knows LSU ain't no Kentucky.

If I'm a bball coach, especially one tied with one of LSU's most successful eras, how are they not appealing? They have tons of money to throw around, a past that you can hang your hat on and aim to rebuild, plus football is always king so it's not like they are putting you under the microscope when you don't win a title. They'll give the next guy some decent time to get his system in gear.

• Upvote 1

Oh? Did Tony tell you that?

Tony wasn't talking about us on twitter, he's got bigger fish to fry than pay attention to us.

You do understand Johnny is from there right? He played there. Got to a final four there.

That's his dream job...

Oh, and by the way, I have talked to Tony. He doesn't know, but doesn't think he's going anywhere. I live in Mozart.

Anyway, where is your proof? This is all assumption. That's the key here, this is all assumption. The only person who wants Jones is the alumni and possibly the AD, anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh, and by the way, I have talked to Tony. He doesn't know, but doesn't think he's going anywhere. I live in Mozart.

Anyway, where is your proof? This is all assumption. That's the key here, this is all assumption. The only person who wants Jones is the alumni and possibly the AD, anyway.

I really hope you're right. I don't want to believe any of this.

• Upvote 1

If JJ tries to leave, I'm going to be all ACCIO COACH and keep him right here. If SMU shows up with a briefcase, it's Expelliarmus time. If it comes down to Tony leaving, I won't hesitate to throw an Avada Kadavra Snape-style, dawg.

I love you, you crazy muggle.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Looks like Anthony Evans of Norfolk State might be in the mix. The LSU plane is now in Texas again apparently. To talk to JJ again? Someone else?

I just want this to end.

Probably just back trying to get clearance from SMU on who they are allowed to hire...

• Upvote 1

Looks like Anthony Evans of Norfolk State might be in the mix. The LSU plane is now in Texas again apparently. To talk to JJ again? Someone else?

I just want this to end.

LSU has a private jet and SMU has a robotic assistant coach to offer JJ.... Why would he possibly stay here?

I've also seen Tubby Smith at Minnesota mentioned as well... feel bad for Johnny - the LSU fans have really turned on him.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18523268/minnesotas-tubby-smith-a-candidate-at-lsu

Tubby Smith is the perfect big name hire for LSU!!! JJ is a no one from little old North Texas!!!

• Upvote 1

From what I'm seeing, this thing is boiling down to 2 choices for LSU's AD.

1. Hire the right guy for the job according to former players and a myriad of paid talking heads... <gulp> :unsure:

OR

2. Hire someone the fans want so he can save face. :thumbsu:

If the AD can stomach an uprising from the fan-base for the betterment of his basketball team, then GreenJoe will be asking where Johnny lived... specifically.

• Upvote 3

I've also seen Tubby Smith at Minnesota mentioned as well... feel bad for Johnny - the LSU fans have really turned on him.

No reason to feel bad for him, he gave alot to LSU and they don't want him. He has given us alot and we love him. Not getting that job may be a blessing in disguise.

• Upvote 3

Gotta say, I didn't know much about JJ's assistant coaching days there at LSU in the 90s....and that his name is the one associated with the downfall of that program (somebody called him "the bag man" for handing money to Lester Earl). Then he went on to Memphis and another HC was fired over similar activity. I hope JJ is on the straight and narrow, but this junk is not stuff ANY fanbase likes to hear.

Going for these big time jobs means that you better be ready to have your past (true or not) and your good name drug through the mud.

• Upvote 1

Gotta say, I didn't know much about JJ's assistant coaching days there at LSU in the 90s....and that his name is the one associated with the downfall of that program (somebody called him "the bag man" for handing money to Lester Earl). Then he went on to Memphis and another HC was fired over similar activity. I hope JJ is on the straight and narrow, but this junk is not stuff ANY fanbase likes to hear.

Going for these big time jobs means that you better be ready to have your past (true or not) and your good name drug through the mud.

Lester Earl, the guy who accused Brown and JJ of impropriety, recanted everything and said the NCAA pressured him into making the accusations by threatening his ability to play elsewhere.

Tic Price was fired at Memphis for banging a female student, not for any recruiting violations or illegal benefits to scholarship basketball athletes.