Can someone update me?

UNTP1

So I've been out of the loop regarding this whole alliance deal because conference realignment talk gives me tired head. So I chose to just stop reading about it completely until something happened. That being said, I would appreciate it greatly if someone could update me on the chances of us getting into this big alliance? Judging by my hasty browsing of related threads it seems like our chances are pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Here is the current makeup of the Alliance (Conference USA and Mountain West)

Mountain West (Currently 8)

Hawaii (football only)

Air Force

Colorado State

Nevada

UNLV

Fresno State

Wyoming

New Mexico

CUSA (Currently 8)

East Carolina

Marshall

Southern Miss

Tulsa

Rice

Tulane

UAB

UTEP

So IF you go to 20, (you could potentially see them go to 22 or 24) you could possibly but not certainly see the following which is subject to change and predicated on a tweeted rumor from MTSU beat writer Adam Sparks today:

Projected/Rumored Alliance (20 teams)

Mountain West (10)

Hawaii (football only)

Air Force

Colorado State

Nevada

UNLV

Fresno State

Wyoming

New Mexico

UTEP (moves over from CUSA)

Utah State or San Jose State for the last spot to get to 10

CUSA (10)

East Carolina

Marshall

Southern Miss

Tulsa

Rice

Tulane

UAB

North Texas (projected)

FIU (projected)

Last rumored CUSA spot to get to 10 (according to Adam Sparks) = 3-way battle between MTSU, La. Tech and UNC-Charlotte

Here is the current makeup of the Alliance (Conference USA and Mountain West)

Mountain West (Currently 8)

Hawaii (football only)

Air Force

Colorado State

Nevada

UNLV

Fresno State

Wyoming

New Mexico

CUSA (Currently 8)

East Carolina

Marshall

Southern Miss

Tulsa

Rice

Tulane

UAB

UTEP

So IF you go to 20, (you could potentially see them go to 22 or 24) you could possibly but not certainly see the following which is subject to change and predicated on a tweeted rumor from MTSU beat writer Adam Sparks today:

Projected/Rumored Alliance (20 teams)

Mountain West (10)

Hawaii (football only)

Air Force

Colorado State

Nevada

UNLV

Fresno State

Wyoming

New Mexico

UTEP (moves over from CUSA)

Utah State or San Jose State for the last spot to get to 10

CUSA (10)

East Carolina

Marshall

Southern Miss

Tulsa

Rice

Tulane

UAB

North Texas (projected)

FIU (projected)

Last rumored CUSA spot to get to 10 (according to Adam Sparks) = 3-way battle between MTSU, La. Tech and UNC-Charlotte

If I was the Alliance dictator, I would reach out to Utah State UNT, FIU, and MTSU to compliment the other teams in the Alliance. The state of Utah is growing so you want some membership out west there, then go after the DFW, Nashville, and Miami markets to balance everything out. And, after that is done, I would immediately go to Gonzaga and offer them a place in the conference, since Hawaii is football only. Could you imagine adding Gonzaga to that conference lineup in hoops? THat would by my 20 team conference. Then, if you decided 24 is where to go, I would invite these teams: San Jose State, New Mexico State, La Tech, and Florida Atlantic.

• Upvote 2

I have to give some RV love here. We knew why we were passed over in 2005 and did everything right in the meantime to make sure we weren't passed over again.

We have the finances, facilities, geography, and market to ensure our inclusion this time around. We are the strongest and most complete candidate for expansion.

Every other candidate has some hurdles to clear.

Edited by GreenFlag
  • Upvote 1

If I was the Alliance dictator, I would reach out to Utah State UNT, FIU, and MTSU to compliment the other teams in the Alliance. The state of Utah is growing so you want some membership out west there, then go after the DFW, Nashville, and Miami markets to balance everything out. And, after that is done, I would immediately go to Gonzaga and offer them a place in the conference, since Hawaii is football only. Could you imagine adding Gonzaga to that conference lineup in hoops? THat would by my 20 team conference. Then, if you decided 24 is where to go, I would invite these teams: San Jose State, New Mexico State, La Tech, and Florida Atlantic.

The biggest problem I see with your recommendation is that it makes sense :bangin:

• Upvote 2

I liked everything that you said except the first sentence. Everything else is market-oriented except Utah State. You pass on a small percentage of the huge San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose market for a small percentage of a much smaller market (Salt Lake City).

• Upvote 1

So I've been out of the loop regarding this whole alliance deal because conference realignment talk gives me tired head. So I chose to just stop reading about it completely until something happened. That being said, I would appreciate it greatly if someone could update me on the chances of us getting into this big alliance? Judging by my hasty browsing of related threads it seems like our chances are pretty good.

I've only heard all of this one in a million talk.

a_chance.jpeg

• Upvote 1

We won't know if its going to be an alliance or a merger until June. The university presidents have agreed to meet every 60-90 days and update what their different committees have been working on.

They have to decide on their operational structure before they can pick and expansion option

An alliance would likely have both conference go to 10. A full merger could keep the number low at 16 or 18.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18065204/new-c-usa-mwc-league-will-be-completed-by-early-june

with UTEP moving to MWC,they will add either SJSU or USU to get to 10. regarding CUSA,we are in, as is FIU.think t.v. markets, plus Marshall recruits heavily in Florida. ECU is pushing hard for another east coast tean, so my money is on UNC/Charlotte.i don't think the Alliance wants to digest more than 4 universities at this point, but certainly could grow to 24 in a few years. they are talking about having 4 pods. if so, we would be with Tulsa,Rice,Tulane, and a player to be named later.this all should be settled this summer.

• Upvote 1

Here's why I think Utah State will get picked first. I think the MWC wants to keep a presence in Utah, since they have Fresno State already in CA. Plus, SJSU has been mentioned as having serious funding problems, leaving their atletics future in doubt. Utah State also has a solid hoops program to latch on to as well. The San Francisco/San Jose market may have a lot of viewers, but it appears that SJSU shares a lot of the problems we do in sharing a market, just that they share with Stanford and Cal, two teams that are huge out west and get all of the media coverage. If the state of Texas had similar funding problems as CA does right now, is there anyone out there who doesn't think we would have to drop down in football? No one is worried about any of the current Alliance, Pac-12, or Big East schools in CA from having to drop athletics, but that rumor has been strong on SJSU for a while.

On another note, it seems almost miraculous that we could possibly move up the food chain conference-wise to me. I really believe that this could be the beginning of something huge here, if we take advantage of it. To me, if we get into the Alliance, we will have cemented our place at FBS for a long time to come. I really believe this is do-or-die time for UNT. If we can't get into this conference affiliation right now, with no other Metroplex team to compete with or get blackballed by, then it really isn't meant to be for us to be any higher on the foodchain than the SBC, in my opinion.

with UTEP moving to MWC,

Where did you get that from?

If it was a full merger UTEP was looking at going West.

But it looks it going to be a scheduling alliance first, before it becomes a full merger later.

UTEP has also been pretty public about wanting to keep Texas ties, but looking forward to a few more Western games.

Where did you get that from?

If it was a full merger UTEP was looking at going West.

But it looks it going to be a scheduling alliance first, before it becomes a full merger later.

UTEP has also been pretty public about wanting to keep Texas ties, but looking forward to a few more Western games. check post on this board regarding "UT Board Meeting&UTEP approval.my take on UTEP's president's statements indicates they are moving to MWC. i don't know if this will ever be a full merger until both confernces get "buy out money" from those schools leaving for the Big East.

• Upvote 1

I have to give some RV love here. We knew why we were passed over in 2005 and did everything right in the meantime to make sure we weren't passed over again.

We have the finances, facilities, geography, and market to ensure our inclusion this time around. We are the strongest and most complete candidate for expansion.

Every other candidate has some hurdles to clear.

We learned with the choice going to UTEP before that fan base and attendance are just as important as those factors you mentioned. Look at the last FB game and you will truly see how little support especially student support is given to this program. If we get left out again you can rightfully blame the jazz heads, pot heads, and commuters as among those who have no loyalty to anything but themselves!!!!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3