Petrino to be fired in minutes

Harry

good or bad for us if it happens??? not the conference...us as a competing school.

Depends on who they hire as a replacement.

The recruits for this year are signed, but without the right hire, next year's recruiting class for A St. will obviously take a hit.

Wonder how much a 3 month buyout will cost Arkansas.

The recruits for this year are signed, but without the right hire, next year's recruiting class for A St. will obviously take a hit.

3 month buyout? Is that what's left on Petrino's contract? Wouldn't that contract be breached by him having a prohibited relationship with an employee?

If you are talking about the buyout clause for Ark. St and Mahlzahn's contract, I don't know if Mahlzahn will be the replacement. But if he is, I'd imagine the buyout would be for the rest of the length of his contract. I'm not sure what was signed, but probably closer to 3 years rather than 3 months.

3 month buyout? Is that what's left on Petrino's contract? Wouldn't that contract be breached by him having a prohibited relationship with an employee?

If you are talking about the buyout clause for Ark. St and Mahlzahn's contract, I don't know if Mahlzahn will be the replacement. But if he is, I'd imagine the buyout would be for the rest of the length of his contract. I'm not sure what was signed, but probably closer to 3 years rather than 3 months.

I was talking about Mahlzahn's contract. Buyout language is among the many things that is not my specialty.:unsure:

Something tells me Patrino will walk out with a big, fat zero behind the dollar sign if Arkansas can prove he was untruthful, but who knows.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to throw up if Petrino gets the Saints interim HC job for the year....

Some other names that were thrown out by GoMeanGreen1999, who is very interested in Arkansas Football:

Butch Davis, Randy Shannon, Derrick McGee.

Butch Davis??? You have to be kidding!

I'm going to throw up if Petrino gets the Saints interim HC job for the year....

Some other names that were thrown out by GoMeanGreen1999, who is very interested in Arkansas Football:

Butch Davis, Randy Shannon, Derrick McGee.

Garrick McGee, right?

Former Arkansas asst that just took the UAB job?

Davis and Shannon strike me as just names to float.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Won't be a buyout more than likely because I doubt very seriously they would hire Gus. They will probably go with an interim for a year before they hired Gus. No buyout of Petrino's contract as he was fired by just cause.

• Upvote 2

Garrick McGee, right?

Former Arkansas asst that just took the UAB job?

Davis and Shannon strike me as just names to float.

McGee knows the players, knows the teams, and the program. Issue is that he just took UAB job and he has never been a head coach. And Paul Petrino is the current OC so he may be gone as well, who knows.

• Upvote 1

Won't be a buyout more than likely because I doubt very seriously they would hire Gus. They will probably go with an interim for a year before they hired Gus. No buyout of Petrino's contract as he was fired by just cause.

I know you're in the know, but I'm curious--why wouldn't they hire him? It seems like the perfect hire for Arkansas on multiple levels.

• Upvote 1

I know you're in the know, but I'm curious--why wouldn't they hire him? It seems like the perfect hire for Arkansas on multiple levels.

I think it will be a hard sell to bring in a coach who has no head coaching experience unless that's the only choice. Most agree the program is a lot bigger today than it was 4 years ago. The fan base is split when it comes to Mahlzan.

• Upvote 2

Petrino did not make friends in the NFL when he snuck out of Atlanta. Don't expect anyone from the NFL to offer him a job...even if it is the temporary New Orleans job.

Serious ethics lapse...not sure any major football program would want him either. I could be wrong. There is always someone out there that will look past a lapse in judgment and give him a chance.

• Upvote 1

Petrino did not make friends in the NFL when he snuck out of Atlanta. Don't expect anyone from the NFL to offer him a job...even if it is the temporary New Orleans job.

Serious ethics lapse...not sure any major football program would want him either. I could be wrong. There is always someone out there that will look past a lapse in judgment and give him a chance.

Give it a year or two . . . if Charlie Strong doesn't work out at Louisville, I can certainly picture them asking him back. It wouldn't surprise me if their fanbase is already screaming to hire him back.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't exactly sound as if Malzahn is going out of his way to quash speculation.

"I'm the coach at Arkansas State. I'm not worried about anything else. I'm committed to being here."

From the Red Wolves' perspective, that's likely a disappointingly boilerplate answer. The "committed to being here" statement is nice enough, but note that Malzahn failed to deny that he'd been contacted by Arkansas and failed to says point-blank he'll be at Arkansas State this season.

Is it fair to parse Malzahn's statement that closely and hold what may very well be innocent omissions against him? Probably not. But nonetheless, there's a way to douse the fires of coaching speculation before they really get burning, and -- assuming the context of Malzahn's statement is accurately presented -- answering a question that begins "have you been contacted by ..." with anything other than "No" isn't it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/18470744/malzahn-on-speculation-im-committed-to-being-at-arkansas-state

• Upvote 1