Mitchell confirms: He's staying another year

Harry

Here's a copy of the story we just posted on our website:

Tony Mitchell has decided to return for North Texas for his sophomore season.

The 6-8 forward played just 23 games with the Mean Green after becoming eligible at the semester break and averaged 14.7 points and 10.3 rebounds a game last season when he was named the Sun Belt Conference's Freshman of the Year.

Mitchell was projected to be selected late in the first round or early in the second of the upcoming NBA Draft.

"We are going to be a better team next year," Mitchells aid. "I love these guys to death and want to come back. I like the college atmosphere. The league is not going anywhere."

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/04/mitchell-confirms-hes-staying.html

If JJ is offered the job at LSU -- he'll take it...that's his alma mater, it's his dream job.

I would hate to lose JJ, really hate it -- but I will also say that this job will be very attractive and we will get a good coach.

If JJ is offered the job at LSU -- he'll take it...that's his alma mater, it's his dream job.

I would hate to lose JJ, really hate it -- but I will also say that this job will be very attractive and we will get a good coach.

I certainly hope JJ stays, but if not I hope we land a top tier b-ball coach. I once heard Bob Knight, 2 seasons ago, say during a b-ball game broadcast that he would consider returning to college basketball with a good mid-major program, and he cited Western Kentucky as an example of such a school. I know he brings a ton of baggage, but he is a winner and would probably take the program to new heights. Would he consider us? Would we even want him?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

I certainly hope JJ stays, but if not I hope we land a top tier b-ball coach. I once heard Bob Knight, 2 seasons ago, say during a b-ball game broadcast that he would consider returning to college basketball with a good mid-major program, and he cited Western Kentucky as an example of such a school. I know he brings a ton of baggage, but he is a winner and would probably take the program to new heights. Would he consider us? Would we even want him?

Let's move on to something that has some importance, if in fact there is anything.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

My day just got a whole lot better. JJ can't leave this class now.

IMO - AND I DO NOT WANT HIM TO GO

This might also allow JJ a clear conscious knowing he can leave the program and the next coach in good shape.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

JJ won't turn down a job offer from his alma mater for a chance at having one great year at UNT. I'd totally understand his decision to leave if he chooses to do so. And if he does I hope we have an extensive search for our next head coach. I'm not a big believer in promoting an assistant just for the sake of similarity for next year's team. If this team is as good as we think they should be great no matter who coaches. We need to stick with the higher standard RV has set in place and go after a guy with HC or lots of assistant level experience at a big time program.

• Upvote 2