Another Solar Company Goes Down

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/solar-company-bankrupt-despite-win-win-doe-loan/459621

"...Solar Trust for America received $2.1 billion in conditional loan guarantees  from the Department of Energy -- "the largest amount ever offered to a solar project," according to Energy Secretary Steven Chu -- for a project near Blythe, Calif., but declared bankruptcy within a year. It is unclear how much of the guarantee, if any, was actually awarded...."

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

..."As first reported by the Reno Gazette-Journal, one turbine that cost the city $21,000 to install saved the city $4 on its energy bill. Overall, $416,000 worth of turbines have netted the city $2,800 in energy savings"...

http://m.lvsun.com/news/2012/mar/30/nv-energy-windmill-program-generates-rebates-littl/

By the way, last Thursday I stopped by Apogee to take some video of our turbines, which were all three turning. I had previously feared that they would be noisy and possibly be disruptive during football practice. But to my surprise they are amazingly whisper quiet. Hopefully, besides simply giving NT a nitch and an image on solidifying itself as a research school, we actually get some kind of energy benefit out of those things.

I think I like them.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Correction: This piece has been updated to reflect the nature of DOE support for the company. An earlier version expressed uncertainty as to whether Solar Trust for America had received taxpayer funding prior to bankruptcy.

Not sure if the original story showed if Obama was the devil or what, but now the story shows this companies failure was "bipartisian."

Not sure if this shows what you wanted.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not sure if the original story showed if Obama was the devil or what, but now the story shows this companies failure was "bipartisian."

Not sure if this shows what you wanted.

The story also says that no taxpayer funds were involved. Where did the loan guarantee money come from?

It was "bipartisan" in the fact that one congresswoman in the area who was a Republican supported the project. Want to bet she had anything to do with the selection process?