Friday morning blog

Brett Vito

The more I think about Trice returning kicks, the more excited I get about that possibility. My reason: He's short.

When he gets up behind the wedge, he'll practically vanish behind those bigger guys. He's fast and shifty enough to get to the next level on his own, throw in the fact that opponents won't be able to really see him, and I think you have a recipe for large gains on Special Teams. I think we would consistently have good field position with him back there.

Of course, kick/punt returning is pretty crazy and I would hate to see him injured. I think we're going to be relying on him pretty heavily on defense in the passing game.

Tough call.

The more I think about Trice returning kicks, the more excited I get about that possibility. My reason: He's short.

When he gets up behind the wedge, he'll practically vanish behind those bigger guys. He's fast and shifty enough to get to the next level on his own, throw in the fact that opponents won't be able to really see him, and I think you have a recipe for large gains on Special Teams. I think we would consistently have good field position with him back there.

Of course, kick/punt returning is pretty crazy and I would hate to see him injured. I think we're going to be relying on him pretty heavily on defense in the passing game.

Tough call.

I too am getting excited about Trice's impact on this team. A "ball hawking" safety that can still lay the lumber is one thing... A guy that can electrify the crowd and change a game in the punt return game is another thing all together.

I was trying to get Vito to make some comparisons in his blog between Trice and the rest of the DB's and WR's with regard to overall speed, quickness, and athleticism... From the workout video's, I got the impression that he was superior... I wonder how this translates to how he looks in practice.

Anyways, I think this guy is one of the keys to taking a step forward next season. Can't wait to see...

I too am getting excited about Trice's impact on this team. A "ball hawking" safety that can still lay the lumber is one thing... A guy that can electrify the crowd and change a game in the punt return game is another thing all together.

You just described my favorite safety ever.....J.T. Smith.......#44 on your program. Sorry all you Jonas Buckles fans (me included), but J.T. Smith could do it all...lay the wood, cover/ball hawk, and return punts.

Update 6:49 - I am starting to think that Chaz Sampson will figure in next year. He has all the tools, but I can see what UNT's coaches are saying when they mention that he needs to be more consistent. He drops a ball or two now and then.

Update 6:34 - UNT just busted a coverage and left Chaz Sampson wide open in the end zone. UNT's defensive coaches were screaming when the ball was in the air. Sampson dropped it, so UNT's offensive coaches got their turn to go nuts.

This is why I like walk-on receivers like Casey Fitzgerald, and most recently, Ivan Delgado......they are HUNGRY. Some people get all ga ga over Sampson's size (6'5"), but my eye is always attracted by spectacular catches, not spectacular size.

• Upvote 1

You just described my favorite safety ever.....J.T. Smith.......#44 on your program. Sorry all you Jonas Buckles fans (me included), but J.T. Smith could do it all...lay the wood, cover/ball hawk, and return punts.

Update 6:49 - I am starting to think that Chaz Sampson will figure in next year. He has all the tools, but I can see what UNT's coaches are saying when they mention that he needs to be more consistent. He drops a ball or two now and then.

Update 6:34 - UNT just busted a coverage and left Chaz Sampson wide open in the end zone. UNT's defensive coaches were screaming when the ball was in the air. Sampson dropped it, so UNT's offensive coaches got their turn to go nuts.

This is why I like walk-on receivers like Casey Fitzgerald, and most recently, Ivan Delgado......they are HUNGRY. Some people get all ga ga over Sampson's size (6'5"), but my eye is always attracted by spectacular catches, not spectacular size.

Stratford disease?

• Upvote 1

Stratford disease?

Freshman wide receiver Chaz Sampson had one of the best catches of the day during 7-on-7 drills, as he used his 6 foot-5 frame to pull down a touchdown catch. The catch made up for a drop Sampson had earlier in practice while alone in the end zone.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205406272

Freshman wide receiver Chaz Sampson had one of the best catches of the day during 7-on-7 drills, as he used his 6 foot-5 frame to pull down a touchdown catch. The catch made up for a drop Sampson had earlier in practice while alone in the end zone.

http://www.meangreen...TCLID=205406272

I was just joking around. Way to early to label anybody.