QB Scotty Young still in play for UNT

Harry

Former Ryan standout Scotty Young is looking to transfer from Texas Tech and is still considering North Texas. Louisiana Tech is also on the quarterback's list.

Scotty Young decided to leave Texas Tech and get a fresh start at another school, where he could continue his development as a college quarterback early this year.

UNT is still on the list for the 2009 Gatorade and Associated Press Player of the Year in Texas.

Young has been in contact with UNT's staff and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mike Canales on a regular basis. He is expected to attend UNT's spring game.

No decision has been made yet on either side. UNT has yet to offer Young a scholarship and Young is still considering his options. The Mean Green's staff also showed interest in Kansas quarterback Jordan Webb, who has now committed to Colorado, according to multiple reports. Louisiana Tech is also interested in Young.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/03/young-still-in-play-for-unt.html

I'll be honest , I'm disappointed we have yet to extend a offer.

I would love to have him to - but keep in mind, once we sign Scotty we will have a hard time getting a high impact freshman to come here so I don't blame them for not rushing in --- we need to be sure. Frankly we struggled trying to convince the kid from Mansfield who ended up going to Air Force that he would garner playing time with Derek and Minimac in toe...Scotty has to sit out a year so he could be a perfect replacement for Derek in my mind.

I'm pleased to know they are in regular contact with Scotty and that he is attending the spring game!

I would love to have him to - but keep in mind, once we sign Scotty we will have a hard time getting a high impact freshman to come here so I don't blame them for not rushing in --- we need to be sure. Frankly we struggled trying to convince the kid from Mansfield who ended up going to Air Force that he would garner playing time with Derek and Minimac in toe...Scotty has to sit out a year so he could be a perfect replacement for Derek in my mind.

I'm pleased to know they are in regular contact with Scotty and that he is attending the spring game!

Since Scotty and Minimac would graduate the same year, I don't see that as a problem. If someone comes in the 2013 class, and then they redshirt their freshmen year, they could start for 3 years.

It would be very upsetting if the powers that be allow Minimac :lol: to even come close to scaring Young off. He'd be a great fit here.

All About UNT can elaborate but he did very well in the offseason program from what I gather.

If Young or anybody else is scared off by the current NT QB's, NT doesn't need them.

Have to agree with this...never will understand the logic of scaring off recruits by signing quality athletes. I want guys who believe they can beat out whoever may be on the roster now or in the future.

I'm with NT03. Why this kid hasn't already been offered is crazy! You offer for no other reason than to create goodwill with the Denton community. What's the fasination with Derek Thompson or any other returning starter? With 5 wins, this was still a bad D1 football team. Most of these guys are reserves on most D1 teams. Get Scotty Young in here and let the best guys on the field right away.Here's hoping the coaching staff will show this guy some serious love at the spring game!

• Upvote 2

Scotty isnt coming here... wouldnt even spend time talking about it

Why would they wait till after spring ball to offer him a scholarship.... If they want him to come here they would get him here ASAP... Yes they could see how spring ball looks, but realize Chico is now going on his 3rd season with DT, 2nd with ozzy and minimac. If they think that QB is a question mark they would of signed him by now

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Here is one thing I do know... TRUST IN MAC and CHICO.

If Mr. Young will fit and can contribute, MAC and CHICO will bring him in...

Does the prospect of bringing a stud high school qb from Denton get me excited? Yes. But, don't let high school stars blur your vision. We have actual "credible" coaches now. It is time to trust them.

If he comes in...then awesome! We've all thought competition can only improve a program and a position.

If not, either he didn't want to be here, or our coaching staff determined a scholarship would be better spent on another athlete for the University of North Texas.

I'm no scout...or football expert. Just a fan. I hear this kid was great in High School from you guys and rivals/scout/espn.

If he couldn't start at Tech, there is no shame in that, but I can't automatically assume he would be better than what we've got. Under the guidance of this coaching staff, DT, Osborn, mini-mac(like this nickname btw), and cooper jones could pass someone up that was great coming out of high school... I don't know why people can't or don't consider this possibility.

TRUST IN MAC and CHICO.

• Upvote 2