Could UNT Have An Option ? CUSA or MWC ?

MeanGreen61

Part of a post by Arkstfan on the Belt board.

"Third.

I said previously, CUSA needs to watch their back because I felt there was a good chance the merger would fail but that MWC might well raid UTEP and maybe others out before it was all said and done. If I'm Bankowsky, I'm on the phone right now with Tulsa, Rice and Tulane to make sure Thompson isn't trying to take them with UTEP. CUSA has options. MWC has USU, Idaho, NMSU, SJSU in their footprint and that is it. MWC is liable to declare Texas remains in their footprint and head that way."

Part of a post by Arkstfan on the Belt board.

"Third.

I said previously, CUSA needs to watch their back because I felt there was a good chance the merger would fail but that MWC might well raid UTEP and maybe others out before it was all said and done. If I'm Bankowsky, I'm on the phone right now with Tulsa, Rice and Tulane to make sure Thompson isn't trying to take them with UTEP. CUSA has options. MWC has USU, Idaho, NMSU, SJSU in their footprint and that is it. MWC is liable to declare Texas remains in their footprint and head that way."

UTEP has expressed dozens of times how much the school preferred the 12-team C-USA to the 9-team MWC since most of their alumni are in Houston and North Texas. With only Tulsa and Rice left near their alumni base, I can't see UTEP jumping to the MWC alone without at least another school in North Texas (UNT) or Houston (Rice).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UTEP has expressed dozens of times how much the school preferred the 12-team C-USA to the 9-team MWC since most of their alumni are in Houston and North Texas. With only Tulsa and Rice left near their alumni base, I can't see UTEP jumping to the MWC alone without at least another school in North Texas (UNT) or Houston (Rice).

I don't know if that is necessarily true. Sure they have a lot of alumni in Houston and DFW, however, they have alumni out west too. EP is closer to California than it is Dallas or Houston. Back in the day when the WAC was a different conference it made perfect sense for them to play there. They fit in CUSA or MWC conferences either way they go. If they do anything that is.

I don't know if that is necessarily true. Sure they have a lot of alumni in Houston and DFW, however, they have alumni out west too. EP is closer to California than it is Dallas or Houston. Back in the day when the WAC was a different conference it made perfect sense for them to play there. They fit in CUSA or MWC conferences either way they go. If they do anything that is.

Here's and article from the El Paso Times that cites UTEP President Diana Natalicio's stance on C-USA vs. MWC membership: http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/utepsports/2011/01/utep-at-houstonmountain-west-talk.html

UTEP president Diana Natalicio told me Thursday that UTEP is committed to stay in a league with Houston, Rice, SMU - the western C-USA. A Texas school (UTEP staying with Texas schools is key, she said. Yes, there are some advantages to playing schools in your own state. Exposure in Houston and Dallas helps recruting (does it?)

• Upvote 1

Here's and article from the El Paso Times that cites UTEP President Diana Natalicio's stance on C-USA vs. MWC membership: http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/utepsports/2011/01/utep-at-houstonmountain-west-talk.html

UTEP president Diana Natalicio told me Thursday that UTEP is committed to stay in a league with Houston, Rice, SMU - the western C-USA. A Texas school (UTEP staying with Texas schools is key, she said. Yes, there are some advantages to playing schools in your own state. Exposure in Houston and Dallas helps recruting (does it?)

Well, they can't commit to staying in a league with Houston and SMU . . . I doubt Rice alone makes C-USA more enticing for UTEP than the MWC.

• Upvote 2

Well, they can't commit to staying in a league with Houston and SMU . . . I doubt Rice alone makes C-USA more enticing for UTEP than the MWC.

UTEP's 2012 recruit class. 17 of 22 are from Texas, mostly from the Houston or DFW areas. Appears that Houston & DFW are prime recruiting areas as well as having quite a few UTEP alumni.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1