Undrafted Free Agents NFL RB's: Lance Dunbar

Harry

This man was the North Texas offense. In his final three seasons for the Mean Green, Lance Dunbar gained 4,046 rushing yards and caught 85 passes for 983 receiving yards. He accounted for a total of 47 touchdowns during that three-year span and was as consistent as anyone in the game.

Now, he's obviously going overlooked as North Texas plays in the Sun Belt conference; which doesn't compare to the SEC or Big Ten. Plus, Dunbar is a but undersized at just 5'9", 205 pounds, however, he knows how to slither through a defense even when the box is stacked against him.

On a team where Dunbar was the key to defeating the Mean Green, Dunbar's high level of consistency proves that he deserves a shot in the pros. He has great speed, acceleration and field awareness to make cuts on a dime and evade defenders.

Dunbar also is a reliable receiving back on screens and check downs. Provided he also presents the ability to return kicks (as he did in 2008 and '09), Dunbar would only increase his odds of suiting up next fall.

Read more: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1112118-nfl-draft-2012-jonas-gray-and-other-undrafted-free-agent-rbs-to-watch-for

Pre-draft measureables

ERIC WEDDLE - Now with Chargers

Ht: 5-11

Wt: 203

40: 4.48 s

3-cone: 6.78

Vertical: 33 1/2

Broad: not taken

Bench: 11 reps

Wonderlic: 27

LANCE DUNBAR

Ht: 5-8 3/4

Wt: 197

40: 4.47

3-cone: 6.8

Vertical: 35

Broad: 10-3

Wonderlic: Unknown if given

This isn't everything, I know, because at the combine they'll also do interviews and have the kids do some position drills. But, I think Lance has the tools to catch on somewhere.

Given his frame, surely an NFL training staff could put another 10-15 pounds of muscle on him. Emmitt Smith went 5-9, 215 back in the day. I'm not saying Lance is Emmitt, but...who knows? Someone will give him a shot. Given the right situation (i.e., Emmitt dropped into an offense that already had Aikman, Irvin, Novacek, and an OL filled with future All-Pros), he'd do well.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Pre-draft measureables

ERIC WEDDLE - Now with Chargers

Ht: 5-11

Wt: 203

40: 4.48 s

3-cone: 6.78

Vertical: 33 1/2

Broad: not taken

Wonderlic: 27

LANCE DUNBAR

Ht: 5-8 3/4

Wt: 197

40: 4.47

3-cone: 6.8

Vertical: 35

Broad: 10-3

Wonderlic: Unknown if given

This isn't everything, I know, because at the combine they'll also do interviews and have the kids do some position drills. But, I think Lance has the tools to catch on somewhere.

Given his frame, surely an NFL training staff could put another 10-15 pounds of muscle on him. Emmitt Smith went 5-9, 215 back in the day. I'm not saying Lance is Emmitt, but...who knows? Someone will give him a shot. Given the right situation (i.e., Emmitt dropped into an offense that already had Aikman, Irvin, Novacek, and an OL filled with future All-Pros), he'd do well.

Are you saying Lance should move to safety since that's what Weddle now plays?

Are you saying Lance should move to safety since that's what Weddle now plays?

No. Just saying there are guys with his athleticism in the League. But...you do wonder what would have happened if guys like Lance and Riley had four years of a bona fide college coaching staff preparing them.

And, yes...I realize without Todd Dodge, we probably wouldn't have gotten Riley. And, possibly no Lance without the other Todd Ford.

Still, Lance is an exceptional athlete. Who knows? Maybe Colorado would have moved him to DB. Texas surely would have moved Riley somewhere else with a roster full of, at one time or another, Colt McCoy, G.J. Kinne, John Chiles, and Garrett Gilbert at QB.

Anyway, the point was to show that the numbers he put up are in line with folk already starting and starring at the next level.

The Emmitt Smith example was to show how luck also plays a part. Emmitt Smith was a great runner. But, would have been a great runner had the Jets not taken Blair Thomas ahead of him? Remember, the Jets took Thomas as the #2 pick in the draft; Emmitt fell to #17.

Blair joined Ken O'Brien at QB, receiving corp led by Al Toon. Mark Boyer at tight end. Anyone? No future All-Pro OLs there. Bruce Coslet as head coach versus Jimmy Johnson? Coslet doubling as offensive coordinator?

Sometimes, they say, it's better to be lucky than good. Lance is already a good athlete. Now, we wish him luck on landing with the right team - either in the draft or as a free agent.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I believe Emmitt would have been a great runner no matter what team he played for. He might not have become the all time leading rusher on another team but he would have been great. The Cowboys offensive line weren't a bunch of all pros until Emmitt came along. But that's a discussion for another forum.

The odds are against Lance but they were against Patrick Cobbs as well. Hopefully he'll get to the right team where he'll fit in.