FAU AD Angelos expects new mega conference to consider inviting Owls

Harry

A couple of days ago we told you about a CBSSports.com story that said the new conference formed by the merger of Conference USA and the Mountain West had been in contact with several schools, including FAU, about possible expansion.

FAU Athletic Director Craig Angelos said the Owls had talked to C-USA representatives during the past couple years, but there hasn't been any contact in about a month.

“We haven't had any discussions since their merger,” Angelos said.

That doesn't mean Angelos doesn't expect to talk about inclusion in the new mega conference that has yet to be given a formal name.

“I know that they are interested in expanding into Florida,” he said. “I'm sure we'll have some type of discussion.”

The new league is expected to try to get some footing in Florida. C-USA had a presence with Central Florida, but now that the Knights are Big East bound, the Sunshine State is dark.

Florida, Florida State, Miami and South Florida obviously are not going to take a step backward to join the new conference.

“The most valuable schools remaining are us and FIU, and I like our position much better than FIU's,” said Angelos, citing FAU's location, fan base, facilities, wealth base and population base as being advantageous.

Of course, the league could always poach both South Florida schools away from the Sun Belt.

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/blogs/owlthi...-owls.aspx

FAU would be more attractive to me, but both schools have much less fan support than even NT. The big interest in them I believe is fueled by the relative success of Central Florida and South Florida as fast growing programs. The problem is that Florida may have reached the saturation point which Texas passed a long time ago, were new teams can live on second tier recruits and have ample state wide fan support to quickly build a program. Add to that the Miami area is not a big college sports supporter as even Miami when they were winning all those national championships did not get sell outs.

• Upvote 1

Apparently the Alliance wants a presence in Florida. One reason that FAU might be chosen over FIU is the stadium. All current members and all known that are being considered have stadiums of at least 30,000 except FIU and Utah State. FIU's is the smallest at 23,500 and they don't even have a press box. I would imagine that they would have to agree to complete both of those deficiencies before they would be approved. If they failed to do that FAU has a 30,000 stadium with a press box and could get the call.

• Upvote 2

Apparently the Alliance wants a presence in Florida. One reason that FAU might be chosen over FIU is the stadium. All current members and all known that are being considered have stadiums of at least 30,000 except FIU and Utah State. FIU's is the smallest at 23,500 and they don't even have a press box. I would imagine that they would have to agree to complete both of those deficiencies before they would be approved. If they failed to do that FAU has a 30,000 stadium with a press box and could get the call.

A pressbox is a nice little item to have.

I covered high school football games for the DR-C during my grad school days.....and some of those Class "B" (now known as Class "A") schools either had a pressbox that was too full of locals to accomodate me - or they had a shanty of a pressbox that was not glass-enclosed (often I was cold and/or wet by game's end).

So - Have to say that a pressbox is a necessity.

Edited by tylermeangreen
  • Upvote 2

If the conference realignments are all about TV, it would only make sense that one of the grades/requirements would be facilities conducive to broadcasting from that location. I can't believe FIU would pass since they make broadcasters perch on the top of the stadium completely exposed to the Florida elements except for a canvas tent. I cannot see ESPN/ESPN Broadcasters putting up with what George and Hank have the past 2 trips to FIU.

If the conference realignments are all about TV, it would only make sense that one of the grades/requirements would be facilities conducive to broadcasting from that location. I can't believe FIU would pass since they make broadcasters perch on the top of the stadium completely exposed to the Florida elements except for a canvas tent. I cannot see ESPN/ESPN Broadcasters putting up with what George and Hank have the past 2 trips to FIU.

Good day mean green fans! Let me begin by commending you on a beautiful stadium and an interesting forum for your members.

I have to however take issue with the comments in this post. How many games at FIU was on ESPN last season? By your logic I should assume there wasn't any ESPN broadcasters at the games last season since they had to endure the Florida elements the season before.

Press boxes are nice to have not need to have, and eventually that will be addressed. But if I had to choose between seating more fans vs a couple of reporters braving the harsh and cruel Miami weather, I think I would go with the fan seating which is being addressed as we speak. Begin removing AoWqEaUCIAAVD3n.jpg to now AosV2cXCIAIiEPu.jpg

The priority was first to get competitive and to get there we need facilities to support that. So a 50k sq foot, two story field-house was built into the stadium. 14k sq ft weight room for strength and conditioning for our student athletes. I believe we are seeing the benefits of that investment.

Fans don't come out on Saturdays to see the stadium, they come to see their team compete at the highest level. it's easier to fix your facilities than your program. I think we have all experienced this (our 1-23 record, your 5 years of Dodge).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good day mean green fans! Let me begin by commending you on a beautiful stadium and an interesting forum for your members.

I have to however take issue with the comments in this post. How many games at FIU was on ESPN last season? By your logic I should assume there wasn't any ESPN broadcasters at the games last season since they had to endure the Florida elements the season before.

Press boxes are nice to have not need to have, and eventually that will be addressed. But if I had to choose between seating more fans vs a couple of reporters braving the harsh and cruel Miami weather, I think I would go with the fan seating which is being addressed as we speak. Begin removing AoWqEaUCIAAVD3n.jpg to now AosV2cXCIAIiEPu.jpg

The priority was first to get competitive and to get there we need facilities to support that. So a 50k sq foot, two story field-house was built into the stadium. 14k sq ft weight room for strength and conditioning for our student athletes. I believe we are seeing the benefits of that investment.

Fans don't come out on Saturdays to see the stadium, they come to see their team compete at the highest level. it's easier to fix your facilities than your program. I think we have all experienced this (our 1-23 record, your 5 years of Dodge).

Last year our radio team had to sit outside under a tent ... in the rain. Water and electrical equipment do not mix. Your football stadium right now is more suited for the Southern Conference than it is the Sun Belt. And, yes, I am aware that until last year were were in the same position with our stadium ... except we could at least seat 30K in our old stadium.

Last year our radio team had to sit outside under a tent ... in the rain. Water and electrical equipment do not mix. Your football stadium right now is more suited for the Southern Conference than it is the Sun Belt. And, yes, I am aware that until last year were were in the same position with our stadium ... except we could at least seat 30K in our old stadium.

If you argue about capacity, that I can understand. But to say a team that puts a couple (not all, because I know there are some reporters who are inside the tower) reports under a tent will not be considered, seems a stretch in logic to me.

• Downvote 1

High Schools have press boxes on their stadiums.

Seating for more fans? You have about 2k that are showing up when you have a good team.

I wish you success, but not having proper facilities to host an event is an embarrasment to our conference and it should be to your school.

• Upvote 1

High Schools have press boxes on their stadiums.

Seating for more fans? You have about 2k that are showing up when you have a good team.

I wish you success, but not having proper facilities to host an event is an embarrasment to our conference and it should be to your school.

Fortunately they don't vacate wins for having less than high school standard stadia. Hopefully when the dust settles on all this realignments, UNT will no longer be forced to play in a facility with no press box and their reporters exposed to the harsh tundra weather that is in Miami.

We don't face each other this season so I can sincerely wish you all the best for the upcoming season and have a great weekend all.

If you argue about capacity, that I can understand. But to say a team that puts a couple (not all, because I know there are some reporters who are inside the tower) reports under a tent will not be considered, seems a stretch in logic to me.

Ask any network announcer in CUSA/MWC if they look forward to calling games at Pink Panther Stadium.

These are the people who have the ears of coaches and athletic directors and conference officials who will make the decision.

• Upvote 1

We might want to actually beat FIU once in a while before we open our big mouths. Just a reminder that it has been since 2006 and that one took 7 overtimes.

I think their scoreboard over us trumps our awesome scoreboard.

I don't think anyone's talking smack against FIU's football team. I would think that FIU's pressbox situation would be a legitimate concern for a higher conference considering extending an invitation.

• Upvote 2

I dont think we are in a postion to be telling a relatively new program they need a upgrade. We just recently upgraded all of our facilities. What did we have, a 75 year head start on FIU ?

Very true. But we wouldn't even be in the conversation for the Alliance if we were still in Fouts. Again, I'm not bashing FIU's program or even saying their facilities will keep them out of the Alliance. But I do believe their facilities will be a consideration and a concern.

Very true. But we wouldn't even be in the conversation for the Alliance if we were still in Fouts. Again, I'm not bashing FIU's program or even saying their facilities will keep them out of the Alliance. But I do believe their facilities will be a consideration and a concern.

Agree