Good Grief! U of Memphis "Real" FB Attendance Numbers

Big East or The Alliance? I guess the BE with the money and new players but I bet those fans are going to miss the commoraderie they had with more nearby programs. Lobos, Miners, Golden Hurricane, Green Wave, Owls, Bulldogs and Golden Eagles - welcome to Apogee and The Superpit!

GMG

• Upvote 2

I think our numbers are/were much better than that. The Big East obviously could care less about football attendance inviting Memephis and SMU.

I wouldn't cast a stone toward SMU. Their numbers are better than ours.

And if you think we don't do the exact same fudging of numbers, you must not have been at the MTSU game

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

OK, I don't think anyone here has been living in some cave in Siberia for the last 10-20 year, right? This is NOT news. Every program, at every level does this stuff....they do it in HS, they do it in college, they do it in the pros. I don't like it as I think the numbers that should be reported are the "rears in the seats" come game day and that's it, but that's not the way it is. These folks count every possible ticket used, sold, given away, etc., etc. in the attendance numbers. Look, FC Dallas reported a sellout crowd yesterday for their home opener win against the Red Bulls...I was at the park yesterday as part of my work with the FC Dallas Showcase for the US Merchant Marine Academy...as a result I was provided a free ticket to the game...way cool. There were plenty of empty seats...a very nice crowd indeed and probably all tickets were sold (or given away), but the stadium was not full.

That's what happens....we just all need to understand it...or maybe push to get the rules changed on how attendance is counted...but, until then...really nothing to get overly worked up about in my opinion. As for UNT, we just all need to do what we can to help REAL attendance numbers climb. The rest will take care of itself.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

As long as the attendance can be reported as 'tickets sold' rather than butts in seats you will have this big variance with some programs. Nevertheless, Memphis gross revenue was almost $42 million last year and SMU's was about $37.5 million. Of course, in the Memphis case basketball plays a huge part in their total revenue but I imagine that FedEx and other season ticket holders do not attend all of the games, basketball or football. Add to that the fact that Memphis was so goshawful last year and you get tons of empty seats. SMU is near the same except that they don't have FedEx; just rich alumni.

Our glass house has the same problem. For instance, out of the four seats to my left at Apogee only six total were used throughout the season. That's eighteen empty seats

that were paid but not used. Hell, even my four weren't used all of the games. I'd rather see the someone there but at least we do get revenue from a lot of empty seats.

Well, if the MU's and SMU's of the world fudge the attendance numbers as much (if not more) than we do, then will someone please explain the thought process involved in inviting SMU over us to both CUSA and the BE? And please don't talk about their previous days in the 30's,40's and early 50's. And their most recent national success (top ten ranking and cotton bowl appearance) in the 80's was BOUGHT. And even back then, like they do now, they had attendance problems.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, if the MU's and SMU's of the world fudge the attendance numbers as much (if not more) than we do, then will someone please explain the thought process involved in inviting SMU over us to both CUSA and the BE? And please don't talk about their previous days in the 30's,40's and early 50's. And their most recent national success (top ten ranking and cotton bowl appearance) in the 80's was BOUGHT. And even back then, like they do now, they had attendance problems.

1. Academics

2. The facilities SMU had in place when they were invited to the CUSA were significantly better than what UNT had in place as was their administrations commitment to rebuilding their program

3. When the BE called the facilities SMU had in place had been established for a much longer period of time as was their commitment to building their program

4. UNT has played in 6 bowl games in their history winning one of them

SMU has played in bowl games 3 out of the last 4 years winning two of them.....they have 100% more bowl wins in the last 4 years than UNT has in their entire history

5. SMU has played in a tougher conference for a much longer period of time

6. SMU beat a #20 TCU team in 2011 and that TCU team finished the season ranked #15/16 and was 11-2 overall

according to this article UNT is 1-41 against ranked teams

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/alabama_football_notes_for_sat_9.html

7. SMU is 28-4-1 all time against UNT

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1900&end=2011&team1=Southern+Methodist&team2=North+Texas

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 1

1. Academics

2. The facilities SMU had in place when they were invited to the CUSA were significantly better than what UNT had in place as was their administrations commitment to rebuilding their program

3. When the BE called the facilities SMU had in place had been established for a much longer period of time as was their commitment to building their program

4. UNT has played in 6 bowl games in their history winning one of them

SMU has played in bowl games 3 out of the last 4 years winning two of them.....they have 100% more bowl wins in the last 4 years than UNT has in their entire history

5. SMU has played in a tougher conference for a much longer period of time

6. SMU beat a #20 TCU team in 2011 and that TCU team finished the season ranked #15/16 and was 11-2 overall

according to this article UNT is 1-41 against ranked teams

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/alabama_football_notes_for_sat_9.html

7. SMU is 28-4-1 all time against UNT

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/opp-opp.pl?start=1900&end=2011&team1=Southern+Methodist&team2=North+Texas

And yet, outside of Dallas (or Highland Park or University Park) you RARELY see anyone wearing SMU gear, or display an SMU sticker on their car. I've seen UNT stickers and people wearing UNT gear all over the Southwest United States. The appeal to the masses is just not there. Even the SMU football players (especially the players of color) of the "pony express" era went to Denton to find girlfriends because (like the vast majority of the general population in the D/FW area) they DIDN'T IDENTIFY WITH THE SMU CORE CULTURE.

And I would submit that neither do the vast majority of the viewing public out there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And yet, outside of Dallas (or Highland Park or University Park) you RARELY see anyone wearing SMU gear, or display an SMU sticker on their car. I've seen UNT stickers and people wearing UNT gear all over the Southwest United States. The appeal to the masses is just not there. Even the SMU football players (especially the players of color) of the "pony express" era went to Denton to find girlfriends because (like the vast majority of the general population in the D/FW area) they DIDN'T IDENTIFY WITH THE SMU CORE CULTURE.

And I would submit that neither do the vast majority of the viewing public out there.

keep telling yourself this and keep pretending it is realistic and you can keep being in the Sunbelt

you really think the green tinted survey of a single individual about Tshirt observations and car window sticker counts has any meaning or relevance outside of gmg.com?

the misperceptions, false characterizations, and just plain silly garbage tossed out on this fan forum by a large number of people about SMU in particular clearly does not sell to anyone outside of this message board

it shows a clear lack of understand about SMU and the real world in general, but hey it seems to be working well for you so keep it up! :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

keep telling yourself this and keep pretending it is realistic and you can keep being in the Sunbelt

you really think the green tinted survey of a single individual about Tshirt observations and car window sticker counts has any meaning or relevance outside of gmg.com?

the misperceptions, false characterizations, and just plain silly garbage tossed out on this fan forum by a large number of people about SMU in particular clearly does not sell to anyone outside of this message board

it shows a clear lack of understand about SMU and the real world in general, but hey it seems to be working well for you so keep it up! :thumbsu:

In studying conflict between groups sociologist came to a very simple two part conclusion. The first part is that the groups are in conflict with one another because they misunderstand each other's goals and intentions. The second is that they are in conflict because they UNDERSTAND ONE ANOTHER VERY WELL.

If you are a SMU grad, then your very arrogant response came as no surprise to me at all.

And yes, I understand the ways of the world very well. I was just hoping that there had to be some other explanation, besides SMU having several Billionaires on their board of regents, and their purchased past sports glory, for getting invited to high profile conferences......with no discernible following outside of the confines of Highland Park and University Park.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Perception is reality when it comes to SMU. They are percieved to be a grand football institution, therefore in the eyes of many, they are.

Unfortunately, reality is even more real! SE is right. And their football attendance numbers prove this.

EDIT: Check that, their attendance NUMBERS contribute to the perception. Reality is much different.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

In studying conflict between groups sociologist came to a very simple two part conclusion. The first part is that the groups are in conflict with one another because they misunderstand each other's goals and intentions. The second is that they are in conflict because they UNDERSTAND ONE ANOTHER VERY WELL.

If you are a SMU grad, then your very arrogant response came as no surprise to me at all.

And yes, I understand the ways of the world very well. I was just hoping that there had to be some other explanation, besides SMU having several Billionaires on their board of regents, and their purchased past sports glory, for getting invited to high profile conferences......with no discernible following outside of the confines of Highland Park and University Park.

so how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT was years away from having a new stadium when the CUSA evaluated them for conference membership

how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT is 1-5 in bowl games over their history

how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT has beaten 1 ranked team in their history (maybe two who knows, but none in recent memory)

how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT has one of the worse records overall in D1-A

how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT could not even sell out their brand new stadium against an in state foe UH for the first game

how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT could not even come close to averaging a sellout of that stadium for the season and barely averaged half capacity of that new stadium for the season even while counting tickets sold VS actual butts in the seats

did you ever consider submitting your Tshirt and window sticker data to CUSA or to the BE.....because apparently SMU did and it seemed to work

you should also submit your sociology class report as well because apparently SMU did and it seemed to work not once, but twice

you should ask your sociology professor about the conflict between reality and living in a dream world void of fact and filled with innuendo and how that interferes with actually accomplishing the goals you have for something VS trying to ignore the reality of others actually accomplishing their goals :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

so how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT was years away from having a new stadium when the CUSA evaluated them for conference membership

how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT has beaten 1 ranked team in their history (maybe two who knows, but none in recent memory)

how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT has one of the worse records overall in D1-A

how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT could not even sell out their brand new stadium against an in state foe UH for the first game

how did SMU purchase the fact that UNT could not even come close to averaging a sellout of that stadium for the season and barely averaged half capacity of that new stadium for the season even while counting tickets sold VS actual butts in the seats

did you ever consider submitting your Tshirt and window sticker data to CUSA or to the BE.....because apparently SMU did and it seemed to work

you should also submit your sociology class report as well because apparently SMU did and it seemed to work not once, but twice

you should ask your sociology professor about the conflict between reality and living in a dream world void of fact and filled with innuendo and how that interferes with actually accomplishing the goals you have for something VS trying to ignore the reality of others actually accomplishing their goals :lol:

this+is+so+old.+please+leave+_e4402e0f276e53b8558f249714d3d633.jpg

Perception is reality when it comes to SMU. They are percieved to be a grand football institution, therefore in the eyes of many, they are.

Unfortunately, reality is even more real! SE is right. And their football attendance numbers prove this.

EDIT: Check that, their attendance NUMBERS contribute to the perception. Reality is much different.

again ignoring the reality that UNT does the exact same thing with attendance data....but hey maybe if you click your heals long enough and scream that SMU is lying someone will listen....it has failed to work for UNT twice so far, but maybe the third time is the charm :thumbsu:

someone should conduct a sociology experiment on how getting caught up in blaming others for your own shortcomings, ignoring your own shortcomings while attempting to point out others shortcomings, and ignoring the fact that doing that has resulted in you still being right in the position you don't wish to be in while others get to the position they wish to be in not once, but twice....fails people

you can call it perception all you wish, but I am sure SMU and their fans will take you holding that perception of them and their reality VS your perception of yourself and your reality

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

You realize, outside of recent bowl success, that every point you make against us can be made against SMU. Besides, I would be very comfortable in stating that winning has very little to do with being invited to a conference. If it did, SMU would have never been invited to CUSA and Temple or Memphis would have never been invited to the Big East. Then again, the Big East is more about basketball than football which clears up the Temple/Memphis confusion but still doesn't explain SMU.

You realize, outside of recent bowl success, that every point you make against us can be made against SMU. Besides, I would be very comfortable in stating that winning has very little to do with being invited to a conference. If it did, SMU would have never been invited to CUSA and Temple or Memphis would have never been invited to the Big East. Then again, the Big East is more about basketball than football which clears up the Temple/Memphis confusion but still doesn't explain SMU.

no I don't realize that....because SMU had the new stadium when CUSA called....UNT had some dated plans that were years away from fruition

you can call it "buying wins" all you wish, but SMU still has that past history UNT does not and only UNT fans seem to get truly caught up in what happened 3 decades ago

UNT can't say they are 28-4-1 against SMU because SMU is 28-4-1 against UNT not the other way around

SMU can't say they have only 1 bowl win in their history because they have 2 bowl wins out of 3 games out of the last 4 years

SMU does have the death penalty, but UNT has a drop down to D1-AA and a total lack of commitment to the program for 15 years after moving back up

UNT can't claim a win over a top 25 program that finished 11-2 and number 15/16 for the year because UNT does not have that win in recent memory

UNT can't claim they invested the resources to hire a coach with a proven history of building a program to the point it goes to a BCS game from a non-AQ conference because the coach UNT has now had a losing record overall and no BCS games at his last job in a BCS AQ conference

not really sure what answers people are actually looking for unless they want other homers to come blow more smoke up their ass because the reality is blowing smoke has done nothing but served to prove that if you pump the sunshine pump long enough you can get smoke and then sit around looking at your smoke while wondering why everyone else you wish to compare yourself to has fire

for the sociologist out there....here is a thought.....you may believe that SMU understands keeping UNT down serves to build them up, but I would say perhaps examine the idea that SMU not giving a damn about you one way or the other and instead giving a damn about elevating their program even if through cheating, bribes, trickery, false stats, sorcery, black magic, witch craft, juju, and big money has served them well by getting them where they want to be not once, but twice while you concentrating all your voodoo and stick pins on your stuffed pony has not served you at all

the fact that so many are consumed with trying to prove that SMU does not deserve to be somewhere they have elevated themselves to not once, but twice, while UNT stays right where they are is laughable

even if you could convince me or anyone else that SMU somehow cheated yet again and stole the place that UNT rightfully deserves in a conference here is a huge clue for you.....the people that actually matter, do the evaluations, and decide who they want to invite to their conference...they are not buying it....so perhaps try a new trick because this one seems to be more of a trick on fooling yourself VS actually doing anything of substance for UNT :unsure:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

First of all, it's North Texas that has to live in the real world. Whatever we have, or don't have, we earned it on our own....humble as it may be. I've already acknowledged that if you have enough Billionaires on your BOR..or elsewhere, they can either write a check to instantly pay for facilities that may or may not reflect the reality of the school's following, and/or they can pick up a phone and influence decision makers of any given conference.

I'd just prefer that someone other than some arrogant SMU grad confirm it.

I never stated they bought their way into their new conference.

True, SMU had opened Ford, but they weren't/aren't filling it, something you said hampered North Texas while hosting UH. SMU's home schedule has been much more attractive than our's and we have outdrawn them for the past several years.

By the way, just for the sake of accuracy, NT has won two bowl games. Not much to brag about, but since your throwing out facts...

Comparing Jones success in the WAC/CUSA vs. McCarney's at a Big XII school is laughable. McCarney took a program that was almost below bottom of the barrel in ISU, turned them around and took them to multiple bowl games while playing in a conference with the likes of OU, Nebraska, UT, etc... Jones beat Marshal, San Diego State, etc... and built Hawaii while in the WAC. Bad comparison. True, SMU ponied up the cash for him and they have improved, but does anyone care in the Dallas market?

I could care less how SMU has performed historically against us. It has nothing to do with being attractive to a conference. Hell, we have an overall winning record against Boise State and they are a hell of a lot better than SMU.

By the way, NT has a 51% overall winning percentage to SMU's 48%

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

no I don't realize that....because SMU had the new stadium when CUSA called....UNT had some dated plans that were years away from fruition

you can call it "buying wins" all you wish, but SMU still has that past history UNT does not and only UNT fans seem to get truly caught up in what happened 3 decades ago

UNT can't say they are 28-4-1 against SMU because SMU is 28-4-1 against UNT not the other way around

SMU can't say they have only 1 bowl win in their history because they have 2 bowl wins out of 3 games out of the last 4 years

SMU does have the death penalty, but UNT has a drop down to D1-AA and a total lack of commitment to the program for 15 years after moving back up

UNT can't claim a win over a top 25 program that finished 11-2 and number 15/16 for the year because UNT does not have that win in recent memory

UNT can't claim they invested the resources to hire a coach with a proven history of building a program to the point it goes to a BCS game from a non-AQ conference because the coach UNT has now had a losing record overall and no BCS games at his last job in a BCS AQ conference

not really sure what answers people are actually looking for unless they want other homers to come blow more smoke up their ass because the reality is blowing smoke has done nothing but served to prove that if you pump the sunshine pump long enough you can get smoke and then sit around looking at your smoke while wondering why everyone else you wish to compare yourself to has fire

for the sociologist out there....here is a thought.....you may believe that SMU understands keeping UNT down serves to build them up, but I would say perhaps examine the idea that SMU not giving a damn about you one way or the other and instead giving a damn about elevating their program even if through cheating, bribes, trickery, false stats, sorcery, black magic, witch craft, juju, and big money has served them well by getting them where they want to be not once, but twice while you concentrating all your voodoo and stick pins on your stuffed pony has not served you at all

the fact that so many are consumed with trying to prove that SMU does not deserve to be somewhere they have elevated themselves to not once, but twice, while UNT stays right where they are is laughable

even if you could convince me or anyone else that SMU somehow cheated yet again and stole the place that UNT rightfully deserves in a conference here is a huge clue for you.....the people that actually matter, do the evaluations, and decide who they want to invite to their conference...they are not buying it....so perhaps try a new trick because this one seems to be more of a trick on fooling yourself VS actually doing anything of substance for UNT :unsure:

Seriously, how much longer do we have to tolerate checkfacts using a UNT moniker to do nothing but attack UNT on a UNT fanboard????

Could someone please deal with this?

Thanks, troll, for turning another conversation into your personal anti-UNT rant.

• Upvote 3

Seriously, how much longer do we have to tolerate checkfacts using a UNT moniker to do nothing but attack UNT on a UNT fanboard????

Could someone please deal with this?

Thanks, troll, for turning another conversation into your personal anti-UNT rant.

I thought I was a TxState grad last week not an SMU grad :unsure:

I am not sure I have ever set foot on the SMU campus

and pointing out reality is not trolling it is pointing out reality......has anyone else bothered to provide an answer to why SMU gets picked for conferences instead of UNT over and over......does it really matter what school someone went to when what they are saying is reality

what exactly is the obsession with SMU.....why not an unhealthy obsession with TCU or UH

how about an unhealthy obsession with USF or Boise

how about instead of trying to call someone a graduate of a university (even when they are not) so you can then use that to ignore reality and once again get back to bashing SMU for doing what UNT wishes they were doing you instead look at what all the above programs have in common and use that to compare to what UNT does not have in common with them

how about instead of trying to get someone banned from a message board because they don't deal in half truths, lies, and false reality you actually try and get a grasp on the truth so you can use to evaluate why numerous programs both in state, out of state, in larger areas, smaller areas, public, and private are doing the types of things that UNT wishes they were doing

seriously hasn't the "SMU SMU SMU" conversation been hashed out about 12 million times on this forum already......doesn't it usually end up the same way every time...."SMU cheats and buys their way in while UNT does things the right way and gets nothing to show for it"

so are Boise, USF, UH, TCU, and even Memphis all using billionaires, half truths, lies, juju and voodoo to get where they want to be.....and even if they are what holds UNT back from doing the same damn thing.....and if you want to use the silly "we earn what we have" then you should be proud to have table scraps to show for that instead of repeatedly having the same old bash SMU fest while a number of other programs not names SMU do the same damn things SMU is doing and often they do them better or sooner......yet that fact blows right by you and you go right back to SMU SMU SMU.....because that is the only thing you can cling to to sooth your anger for not doing the things you wish to do

good night do you people actually act like this out in the real world and outside of a fan forum....running around always telling everyone how marsha marsha marsha gets all the attention while UNT just gets ignored.....and you wonder why no conference comes calling :rolleyes:

you try and call me out and have me banned for a "personal bash UNT rant" when the reality is this forum is nothing but a bash SMU fest based on ignorance of the fact that no one else is buying your bashing of SMU and while they are not buying that they are also not buying your UNT hype and signing right up for the SMU SMU SMU and for a hell of a lot of what everyone else is selling as well.....but that is all because of SMU right.....or maybe it is because of what you are actually selling :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My gosh I cannot believe nobody mentioned 28 points.

Case closed. SMU is a program that has seen its best days. UNT is a program on the rise and set up nicely for the future of college athletics. With SMU going to the BE and nobody still caring, TCU falling back to earth behind Baylor in the Big 12 and UNT about to finally get some regional foes to beat up on - we are just fine in Mean Green land.

Thanks for playing privates but the time for the MG Nation to rise up is NOW.

Here we come:)

GMG

• Upvote 2

and pointing out reality is not trolling it is pointing out reality......has anyone else bothered to provide an answer to why SMU gets picked for conferences instead of UNT over and over......does it really matter what school someone went to when what they are saying is reality

what exactly is the obsession with SMU.....why not an unhealthy obsession with TCU or UH

how about instead of trying to call someone a graduate of a university (even when they are not) so you can then use that to ignore reality and once again get back to bashing SMU for doing what UNT wishes they were doing you instead look at what all the above programs have in common and use that to compare to what UNT does not have in common with them

how about instead of trying to get someone banned from a message board because they don't deal in half truths, lies, and false reality you actually try and get a grasp on the truth so you can use to evaluate why numerous programs both in state, out of state, in larger areas, smaller areas, public, and private are doing the types of things that UNT wishes they were doing

seriously hasn't the "SMU SMU SMU" conversation been hashed out about 12 million times on this forum already......doesn't it usually end up the same way every time...."SMU cheats and buys their way in while UNT does things the right way and gets nothing to show for it"

so are Boise, USF, UH, TCU, and even Memphis all using billionaires, half truths, lies, juju and voodoo to get where they want to be.....and even if they are what holds UNT back from doing the same damn thing.....and if you want to use the silly "we earn what we have" then you should be proud to have table scraps to show for that instead of repeatedly having the same old bash SMU fest while a number of other programs not names SMU do the same damn things SMU is doing and often they do them better or sooner......yet that fact blows right by you and you go right back to SMU SMU SMU.....because that is the only thing you can cling to to sooth your anger for not doing the things you wish to do

good night do you people actually act like this out in the real world and outside of a fan forum....running around always telling everyone how marsha marsha marsha gets all the attention while UNT just gets ignored.....and you wonder why no conference comes calling :rolleyes:

you try and call me out and have me banned for a "personal bash UNT rant" when the reality is this forum is nothing but a bash SMU fest based on ignorance of the fact that no one else is buying your bashing of SMU and while they are not buying that they are also not buying your UNT hype and signing right up for the SMU SMU SMU and for a hell of a lot of what everyone else is selling as well.....but that is all because of SMU right.....or maybe it is because of what you are actually selling :thumbsu:

Todge Rodge.... is that you?

Just...stop+talking.+It+ll+only+make+it+worse+_c4f90f45fd50353948979a6c86114aad.jpg