Benson's "love affair" with North Texas

MeanGreen61

"North Texas seems to be on Benson's priority list, as he appears to have been head over heels in love with the school since his early days as WAC commissioner.

In an interview he did for North Texas, Benson has been keeping an eye on the Mean Green since 1999:

"It goes all the way back to 1999, which was the first time that I was on the North Texas campus. I was on the campus a year ago at this time, trying to convince North Texas to come to the WAC. I've seen the new stadium, I've seen the unbelievable growth of the university.

"To look at the University of North Texas today and to see the 30,000-plus students, the new stadium, the commitment that starts at the top with President Rawlins, the fact that there has been continuity with Rick Villarreal, and the fact that it is 35 miles from Dallas and Ft. Worth, those are all components that make it attractive.

"As I said before, North Texas has been attractive to the WAC for the last 10 years and is currently on the radar for Conference USA. It is one of the premiere programs in the Sun Belt and I'm looking forward to finally being able to work with Rick and President Rawlins and the outstanding group of coaches that are there.

"Everyone always talks about 'Who is the next Boise State' and I can honestly say 'why not North Texas?'"

READ MORE

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1073448-sun-belt-conference-athetics-moving-forward-and-expanding-with-karl-benson

I appreciate Karl Benson and his kind words about the University of North Texas and if it hadn't come from the Bleacher Report (sort of the National Enquirer of college football) those comments would have more validity.

Maybe the timing wasn't right following the demise of Big West football but I don't recall a long look from the WAC when we were in need of a conference. It could have been our fault that we weren't ready to commit to spending the amount required for such a venture. Yet, the Big West had pretty big travel costs as Louisiana and Arkansas State left just before we entered. Nevertheless, his 16-team WAC did not include us so he couldn't have been too overly infatuated.

I wish Karl tremendous success in his role as Sun Belt Commissioner whether we stay or go. He does seem to have vision and is forward-thinking in his conference design.

• Upvote 1

He uses the Boise State line with about every college that is mentioned.

And Wright Waters told USA they would be the next Boise State. Of course, Wright is from Alabama.:rolleyes:

Many of us would have been happy for North Texas to just be the North Texas that should have advanced (instead retreated) from the Mean Joe Greene and Fry Eras of which many of our teams from those 2 eras would have been bowl teams had there been as many bowls back then as there are today.

I think Boise State during those 2 aforementioned eras at UNT was a truck driving school :blink: and a school that has a very poor graduation rate; in fact, it still does.

But again...many of us just want North Texas to be..............North Texas when it was on its game because the rest will take care of itself.

http://cdltrainingto...ate-university/

http://arbiteronline...lowest-in-west/

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen