JJ in the Sun Belt Tournament

CMJ

His all time mark is 14-8, which is more than solid given the sudden death nature of tournament basketball. Anytime you can win over 60% of your games in such a scenario means you're doing something well.

But let's examine the numbers since his breakthru in '07. Since his first title team, he is 13-3 in the SBC tournament. That is just ridiculous.

Forget everyone else for a bit - WE are gonna be a dangerous out in Hot Springs.

• Upvote 6

I guarantee if you asked all the coaches who they do NOT want to face, UNT would be at the top of the list. TM could single handily win this tournament and opposing coaches would rather not have to face him. Unless FIU or Troy gets to the 2nd round, I don't think you can call any game a upset

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can we say JJ is the DD of UNT Basketball, screw the Regular Season and win when it counts?

I'm not sure I follow... Although I do think their paths are similar.

Both took several years to build up their teams to Championship caliber.

Both knocked off some big 12 teams in their tenures.

DD went bowling 4 times. If JJ can get his team to win tonight (IMPOSSIBLE!) then he'll be in the tourney for the 3rd time.

But I don't understand "screw the regular season and win when it counts"... What do you mean?

Can we say JJ is the DD of UNT Basketball, screw the Regular Season and win when it counts?

What a slap in the face that is to Johnny Jones. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but getting to the NCAA Tournament from the Sun Belt is much harder than it was to make the New Orleans Bowl in the first four years of the SBC sponsoring football. Johnny Jones actually likes it here and I have never heard him once state that "This is the Toughest Job in America. I should know--I work here EVERYDAY". Johnny Jones probably has about 2 years left here at max, if we make the tournament this year and then next year's team does what it looks like it can do. Then he will cash a big check at a AQ league, which is a bit different from what the Buick got to do at the "height" of his time here. IMO, its not even close...

• Upvote 6

DD had some great teams but really struggled to capitalize on the recruiting front following his Sun Belt success.

JJ seems to be building momentum in every aspect. This team is young, faced adversity, and still made the finals tonight. With only 1 or 2 seniors on the roster, this train looks like it ain't stopping anytime soon.

• Upvote 1