Conference not as far flung as writers say

Harry

This article reinforces my belief that there is some misinformation regarding how far flung this new Alliance league is. Much of this is due to misinformation being spread by the media.

Pay attention, national media.

There's a reason Tulane president Scott Cowen, who chairs the C-USA presidents committee, commented on Tuesday that "The divisions will be constructed around the regional bases. Rivalries will be retained."

It isn't very difficult to read between those lines.

What Cowen was intimating is the remaining C-USA members and, perhaps, as many as four new members and the remaining MWC schools and, perhaps, another four new members will continue to play within their own divisions.

Don't be surprised if there aren't any cross-over, regular-season, conference games. At least, not if the leaders of this new mega-league have their way.

And I'm confident they will.

Remember the old football merger idea where the C-USA champion and the MWC champion would play for a berth in a BCS game? Well, that premise still works.

What if there were what amounts to as a C-USA Division and Mountain West Division of this new league? And what if those two divisions were split into regional subdivisions?

Then, what if the C-USA East invited Temple, Florida International and Florida Atlantic to join, while Southern Miss switched sides to C-USA West? And what if C-USA West invited UT-San Antonio to come aboard?

The C-USA Division would have 12 members. Then, the East football champion would play the West champ in the semifinal game, which was alluded to in the official press release Monday.

The same scenario could occur in the Mountain West side. Maybe this division invites Utah State, San Jose State and New Mexico State to join. Or, perhaps, UTEP switches from the C-USA Division to the better fitting geographically Mountain West side and C-USA West picks up North Texas.

The point is the rivalries can be kept and the travel expenses can be kept down.

Then, the two division champs play in the conference title game, which rotates between Miami and Las Vegas.

It's that easy.

As unwieldy as this conference appears on paper, it really isn't in reality.

Trust me, there won't be any games on the moon.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1905985578/Conference-not-as-far-flung-as-writers-say

it amazes me that it takes the media writers this long to realize what is a premise that most message board posters have been kicking around for a long time now.. I guess they get paid for their writing ability and not their ability to reason somewhat logically..

Doesn't amaze me since journalism in any form or theme is a stranger to most of them as it is.

It amazes me that they keep bringing up UTSA.

Equally amazed, but I was amazed that the Big East plucked SMU and now for the very reason that the Alliance may now pluck UNT. (Is this all nuts or what)? LOL!

I actually read a post from one of the CUSA's present Big 3 football schools (excluding those leaving) that he was actually afraid of North Texas football because of it being in a large market and our financial committment taking off in the Alliance. I think that is a feeling shared by more than we'll ever know, of course and for certain is a feeling shared by myself and I know many of you. And that because I think we will finally feel at home among more of our own that I cannot feel (or ever felt) being in the SBC did for us (except for 2 or 3 'Belt schools). All this is speculation since this is the NCAA of 2012 and who really knows, but I think North Texas will be in this Alliance this go around.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen