Let's Speculate

shaft

NT03 is probably right here. I don't think we need to panic at all right now. There are a lot of dominoes yet to be placed. The Big East is not done falling apart. UCONN wants to move to the ACC with Pitt and Syracuse. Rutgers wants out. If the Big whatever it is now tries to get back to 12 they could take Louisville and Cincinatti to fill their 2 final spots. Big East will try to fill these spots with CUSA schools like ECU and Marshall. If that happens I do not see the Alliance trying to go east of UAB.

The Big East would then have a line-up of:

S. Florida

SMU

Houston

ECU

Marshall

Memphis

Navy (joins 2015)

Boise St.

San Diego St.

UCF

Personally, I think SMU and Houston will be regretting this move in the long run.

• Upvote 1

I agree. Especially when/if the automatic bids are gone. I think within eight years they are back with a more centralized conference.

Which is exactly why we need to move up the pecking order NOW, while they are out of the way, so that they cannot block us when they come back to the regional conferences with their tail tucked.

When the BCS does away with AQ status (which sounds like is happening this year) the Big East will implode. No way does any team left in that conference get an invite to a BCS game without being undefeated---which is basically the same rules they had to play by in the smaller/regional conferences. It'll be very difficult for any team in that conference to go undefeated---primarily b/c the travel is going to be a much bigger issue for them than in a more regional friendly league. Also, if people in DFW couldn't care less about tuning in to a SMU broadcast, you can bet your @ss that nobody on the East coast will either. Houston will have the same problem, but will pull slightly better numbers due to their b-ball run in the 80s.