The Latest on Merger mtg -- Subject to change by the minute

Harry

Alliance info. posted today by Purplehook an ECU fan:

I have never been a "I have a source" person because I don't want questions or that type of attention. But I have some trivial news that i thought I would pass on about the merger.

A full merger is definetely happening. They are going to name the new conference a temporary name called " The National Conference". They are not sure if it would be liked or accepted well publically so they are going to float it out there to see what recation it gets posotive or negative. they can always change it later.

Also said there have been some talks going on with Temple but it would be for football only to balance out Hawaii for football only. Temple is very comfortable in the A-10 and does not want to move their basketball.

Read more: http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=554778

CUSA powers of the Alliance needed to be able to tell their 2 school eastern contingency of ECU and Marshall U that they at least made legitimate overtures with officials from Temple U to gauage their interest in the Alliance. Temple U was all but kicked out of the Big East a few years ago so why not show up at a meeting like this happening in Irving today where they are actually wanted?

If the Alliance got the #4 and #5 ranked U.S. TV markets in their ranks after today's meeting they would have had a very successful weekend IMO.:rolleyes: I'd bet most on this board would certainly agree with that, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

What's the status of the Mountain West's petition to be recognized as an AQ conference? If they can force their way into the BCS AQ fraternity, would they still want to or need to merge with C-USA?

Keith

Word I hear is it won't happen. If they dismantle the Mountain West it might make it moot anyway... Plus AQ appears to be going away anyway.

Today's meetings have concluded. There have been no final decisions on the invitations. We are still in the mix, but so are several other schools.

Purplehook's information is 100% accurate, he either has an accurate source or is one heck of a guesser.

There will be an announcement tomorrow from the new alliance, not listing new members, but clarifying the intentions of the alliance.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1

Today's meetings have concluded. There have been no final decisions on the invitations.

Purplehook's information is 100% accurate, he either has an accurate source or is one heck of a guesser.

There will be an announcement tomorrow from the new alliance, not listing new members, but clarifying the intentions of the alliance.

Seriously, I thought this might happen. They would have needed more than 1 day to do all they anticipate doing.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

Today's meetings have concluded. There have been no final decisions on the invitations. We are still in the mix, but so are several other schools.

You got a source on the inside? If what you say is true, then the alliance must be planning on expanding to at least 18. Who are the other schools we are up against, and how do we stack up? I just can't believe Texas State is one of them.

• Upvote 1

Of course we'll know something official tomorrow, but it looks like Temple is in as #17, and it's down to UNT, FIU and LT as for the other spot. I have no source, just seems the ECU fans are more involved in this than others.

From the same thread

"There will be two teams added for 18 members Temple is in as long as they want in the other teams being looked at are North Texas La Tech and for whatever reason TX State. " Still not sure if the guy meant to put UTSA, but we have a shot, and another article today said "most" sun belt schools have expressed interest in joining CUSA. Of course, nothing is final, but if the big east takes one more school we should have a very good chance.

What I don't get is how on earth does no one on this board have any info as to atleast whether or not we've talked to CUSA recently?

Edited by ntmeangreen11

Of course we'll know something official tomorrow, but it looks like Temple is in as #17, and it's down to UNT, FIU and LT as for the other spot. I have no source, just seems the ECU fans are more involved in this than others.

From the same thread

"There will be two teams added for 18 members Temple is in as long as they want in the other teams being looked at are North Texas La Tech and for whatever reason TX State. " Still not sure if the guy meant to put UTSA, but we have a shot, and another article today said "most" sun belt schools have expressed interest in joining CUSA. Of course, nothing is final, but if the big east takes one more school we should have a very good chance.

What I don't get is how on earth does no one on this board have any info as to atleast whether or not we've talked to CUSA recently?

Unless they expand by a lot most see the Sun Belt coming out pretty good in this. With the merger you remove one conference ahead of the Belt and the WAC will likely die. All of the Sun Belt schools have remained very quiet and see no reason or value in burning bridges. I also think when you go public the backlash is tougher when you come up short. La. Tech has been pretty public because they don't really have a fallback option with the WAC's possible demise.

From the same thread

With Temple you have the #4 ranked U.S TV market. Hopefully that large TV market thing with the Alliance will be a trend.:rolleyes:

The Alliance can bring in any number of small to medium size market schools all day long some of whom have decent athletic programs, but they only have 1 more Top 10 U.S. TV market left in their footprint they can add and that would be the North Texas Metroplex . That area of which our school is located would fill a very huge hole almost in the middle of their present Alliance map and add the TV's this consortium still needs to have. Bettter TV market revenues is something I don't think Alliance powers have given up trying to negotiate for albeit some posters on 2 other conference boards have all but swept that very idea under the carpet but that mostly to fit their small to medium market expansion school choice agendas.

Another possbile factor with "expand now" is UAB. Blazer football is on thin ice with the UA System Board of Regents and may no be long for the FBS level of NCAA competition or they could remain as a basketballl school. Yet like many of you, I really dislike these "football or basketball only" schools in any conference. IMO, the Alliance powers should say to every school: "It's all or nothing."

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Interesting ... the fact that Boise will probably be in the MWC this coming year adds another team to the conference that I had not been counting on. If this new conference comes into being then they have another reason to wait before adding more teams.

I doubt that the merger happens for the 2012-13 season. This is probably a 2013 and beyond idea. The decision will be made this year, but moving that quickly would be difficult.

• Upvote 1