Conference Merger Rattles some Nerves

Harry

For schools like Southern Miss, which have competed well in Division I but struggled to make ends meet financially, a change is needed to survive at this level.

As Hammond pointed out to the Pensacola area group of USM boosters, state rivals Ole Miss and Mississippi State, which have not won an SEC football title in nearly 40 years, are benefitting from membership in the nation's most lucrative conference. Each school received $21 million last year from the SEC revenue-sharing package.

Not USM's reality

"Folks, that is more than our entire athletic budget," Hammond said.

And that is the reality facing so many schools like USM. A C-USA merger with the Mountain West would position the new conference to renegotiate better television and marketing agreements. It would alleviate some scheduling challenges. It would create more attractive home games that might fill more seats.

"I think it's going to do a lot for our television revenue," said Hammond, prior to his address to fans. "Who knows what's going to happen to the BCS in the next round. But if I am a betting man, if Southern Miss continues to win, we'll be in good shape.

"I would just say let's give this thing time. I don't want to get into the what-if game. It drives our Southern Miss fan base crazy. All I will say is the at we are proud member of Conference-USA, we're in good standing, and we will continue to be a member of Conference-USA."

A reshaped Conference USA, however, will put Southern Mississippi in even better standing.

Read More: http://www.pnj.com/article/20120212/SPORTS/202120322/Conference-merger-rattles-some-nerves?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p